Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Catching a bug tickles the masto! (Read 875 times)
jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Catching a bug tickles the masto!
02/23/13 at 10:59:07

I know, I know.... gimicky title!

I got some horrendous flu like respiratory/gi/ obnoxious virus-becoming-bacterial thing.  You know the story, somebody sneezes nearby and a couple of days later you're sick as a dog and wondering if death is imminent.

I don't know about you, but once this stuff starts up, then the mast cells start doing their little "hyper-immune" thing, and they start adding extra verses to the sickness song.

The fun part is managing the masto meds, with the regular over-the-counter meds, plus any scripts the doc gave you and any other home remedies you might have.

I have noticed that when I get like this, which is where I am at right now, that I get more nightsweats.  The last couple of nights, I have had to change the jammies three times a night.  I wake up feeling creepy and weak, but strangely somewhat better, if that makes any sense? I think all that sweating helps push out that virus.

I usually don't worry too much about the periodic night sweats, though I would be more concerned if it happened on a regular basis and was not accompanied by other factors.  I also just had a dose of Mr. Prednisone earlier this week, and so there is also a little of the "hormonal" thing going on there.

However, once I get this "blast out" then, ironically, I start to make a  turn for the better.  I think all those little degranualations, though annoying, do tend to get the party started and help rid us of the germ attack.  So though we suffer with our masto, in some ways, having ATOMIC BOMB mast cells can work to our advantage in certain situations. Cheesy

So my question for you is this:  when you are sick with a bug-a-boo and your masto acts up a little in response, what kind of things do you notice?  I would be curious to know what other people experience.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Catching a bug tickles the masto!
Reply #1 - 03/10/13 at 05:15:25

I notice that it's hard to know which symptoms are from masto and which are from the illness.  Last time I was sick, I increased my meds throughout the whole ordeal, and I felt much better.  

I find that for respiratory illnesses that vitamin C (Ester C) and zinc help.  I take 1000 mg. C and then let a zinc lozenge melt in my mouth and don't drink or eat anything for 1/2 hour after.  That's supposed to kill viruses in the back of the throat.

I feel like I get 2-phase sicknesses.  I start to feel better from the first one and then wham-o, phase 2 would set in.  Now I think it's the mast cells still partying after the party's over.  When I stay on increased meds for a day or two after I felt better, that doesn't happen as much.

I always thought the night sweats were from the fever breaking.  I've also had night sweats from prednisone.  Yuck.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print