Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello all. I need some help and encouragement (Read 8121 times)
Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Hello all. I need some help and encouragement
02/12/13 at 15:56:53

Hi everyone! It's Brigitte. Been awhile since I've been on here. I haven't been feeling well lately and I thought I'd reach out to y'all. I'm so confused and scared. I don't know what's what anymore. Sad

3 years ago I was diagnosed with bipolar 2. I was having back to back panic attacks and was stuck in what's called a "mixed state" for 8 months. Coincidentally , it was during this time that I was also diagnosed with autoimmune urticaria. The timing was strangely perfect. I had told my pschyatrist that some of the feelings and sensations I was getting in my body during these panic attacks/fight or flight thing reminded me of the feelings I would get when I would have swelling episodes. That's when I get in at at study with the university for hereditary angioedema. Luckily through that study, they tested for everything and that's when I found out it was autoimmune urticaria. It was also during this time that I started to become aware of my sensitivities to frangrances.

So I have a diagnosis of the AU and bipolar 2 and the symptoms seem to melt into each other so I never know what the heck is going on with me!

This past December I started feeling "something" coming on. I just felt off and I was extremely irritable. About a month ago I had another mixed episode. It's a terrible feeling of being sad, mentally and physically irritable and a foggy brain; Words don't come easily, and I feel as though I am walking around in a dream. Basically, I want to crawl out of my skin and under a rock Cry

So we upped my lithium, took down my Zoloft (apparently SSRI's aren't good for bipolar) and I started taking an extra Ativan. This seemed to work for a few days. But then "it" came back.

I've been taking my antihistamines, Zyrtec and Zantac in the am, and Allegra 60 mg in the afternoon and Zantac again at night.

My husband is out of town on business and tonight I had to do something to make things more manageable, mostly for the sake of my 8 year old son. Pulling at strings, I decided to take a cap full of liquid Benadryl. And it seemed to help calm my body down. (Which makes me question, is it the urticaria or the bipolar??)

I'm not sure why I posting all this. I guess I'm just confused and scared. Do some of you with mast cell disorders experience anything like I described? Or is this indeed all bipolar that I am experiencing? I don't know anymore. But I want to feel better. I want at least part of my life back. I am tired of always being stuck in my head evaluating myself as to how I'm feeling. I just want to LIVE!!!! The good old days when I used to follow the Grateful Dead!!! Lol not a care in the world! Cheesy

I know I have AU, the bloodwork proves that, and I'm sure I also have some kind of brain cooties, but I'm just confused. And to make matters worse, bringing up the urticaria and the bipolar 2 in the same sentence doesn't make a lick of sense to any doctor. They look at me like I'm crazy. Ugh!!!!

Anyways, thanks for reading. I hope that this relief I'm feeling from Benadryl is not a fluke. That would be nice!!! That leads me to one last question...do some people respond better to Benadryl then to Zyrtec, Allegra etc?? Should I try adding Benadryl to the mix for a few days and see what happens??

Oh ya, just in case anyone has any knowledge on this. I have also found that although I'm not diabetic (something I am going to have to work hard to keep at bay), I am insulin resistant. Could insulin resistance make you feel "off". I went to a new gp, and she just run a gamete of tests on me before she puts me on metformin. Is anyone else on this drug?? Is it ok for people with mast cells issues!!

Thanks again!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Hello all. I need some help and encouragement
Reply #1 - 02/12/13 at 20:09:57

Hi Brigitte,

I can imagine it would be hard to tell between mast cell anxiety feelings and bipolar symptoms.  If your symptoms are helped by Benadryl, then it could be the mast cells, but it also has sedating effects, so it might help settle other feelings.  Yes, some people respond better to Benadryl because it's a first generation antihistamine and has broader effects than the newer ones.  It's trial and error to find what helps.  If the Benadryl helps, ask your doctor if there's any harm in taking it for a few days.  Usually, it's better to save Benadryl and hydroxyzine urgent situations, but this sounds pretty urgent.

Since you're on other meds, it's important to check with your doctor about interactions and contraindications.

Maybe someone else on the forum knows about diabetes meds.  Sorry I don't.

Joan

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 02/17/13 at 14:33:22

Hi.  I am so sorry you are going through all of this.

You know, when I was first diagnosed with masto, before I was taking my antihistamines, sometimes I would get almost like an adrenaline rush feeling, like a panic attack like feeling, but I could tell it was chemical, as it came on suddenly.

I now know that I make a lot of prostaglandins when my mast cells blow off, and sometimes I get this feeling right before I have a major mast cell blowout.  I think all the mast cells just kick out this stuff at once, it hits your nervous system, and of course you feel it mentally and emotionally too.

And toss in insulin difficulties, yes, that might be adding in to the mix too.  My mom is diabetic, and sometimes her symptoms seem a lot like mine.

You might want to see if you can get your psch doc and masto doc to do a consult together to see if they can figure out a plan about how to tease out what med mix works for you.

You know, when we have all these mediators popping out and such, it can feel pretty weird and scarey at times.  Usually when I feel weird, I am about due for a masto attack.  That's when I know it is time to take it easy and take good care of myself and get more rest.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #3 - 02/17/13 at 17:48:06

Hey Brigitte, what would you say if I said that you might not be bipolar after all?  Sound crazy? Cheesy   Well, I'm not a doctor and certainly NOT a neurologist but there is some research done in this area, an excellent article called MIXED ORGANIC BRAINS SYNDROME AS A MANIFESTATION OF SYSTEMIC MASTOCYTOSIS.  

Now, back then they didn't have the diagnosis of MCAS and they were only studying SM patients as a means of dealing with a diagnosed disease.   I think that you REALLY NEED to read this article and see whether or not you fit into this category!!!  If you do, then I have a neurologist for you to see!!!!    His name is Dr. Jonathan Smith and he's at the Mayo in Minnesota.  He just finished an excellent study on neurological issues with masto patients and he's interested in studying us masto patients!   HE'S OPEN TO MCAS!!  I think that going to a neurologist who doesn't understand mast cells is of no good cause they don't understand how MCs behave and how their misbehavior would wreck havoc on our lives and bodies.  Dr. Smith knows the connection and if he really thought you were bipoler then I think you would have to seriously consider this as a diagnosis, but for me, other doctors who don't understand MCs get it all wrong and we end up with all kinds of false accusation!!

BTW - this article offeres a free full text so go to the site and download it!

So, here's the abstract of the Mixed Organic Brain Syndrome and let me know if you want Dr. Smith's email!

Hope this helps!

Lisa

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3749421

Psychosom Med. 1986 Jul-Aug;48(6):437-47.
Mixed organic brain syndrome as a manifestation of systemic mastocytosis.
Rogers MP, Bloomingdale K, Murawski BJ, Soter NA, Reich P, Austen KF.
Abstract
Systemic mastocytosis is a disease characterized by an excessive accumulation of mast cells, and associated with skin lesions, flushing, diarrhea, tachycardia, and psychiatric manifestations. In order to define more clearly the psychiatric manifestations, ten patients with this disorder underwent unstructured psychiatric interviews and a battery of psychologic testing. Both revealed a pattern of cognitive and affective changes in the majority of these patients, best categorized as an atypical or mixed organic brain syndrome. The cognitive changes consisted of diminished attention and memory, and the affective changes of anger, irritability, and, to a lesser extent, depression. These manifestations fluctuated with the level of disease activity, and appeared in some cases to respond to histamine antagonists and disodium cromoglycate, medications used to control the excessive mast cell activity. It is important for psychiatrists to be aware that mental status changes can represent psychiatric manifestations of mastocytosis, a readily treatable medical disorder.
PMID: 3749421 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Free full text

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #4 - 02/21/13 at 09:17:11

Hi Brigitte,

I am sorry that you are going through such a difficult time.  I hope things have improved since you last posted.

I am not sure where you are located. I am in Wisconsin.  Because of Lisa's information on Dr. Johnathan Smith, I sent a request for an appointment to see him.  I read his profile and it looked like he was still in his residency, but I just received a call and he is practicing.  I am not sure what his specific areas of interest are, but his profile is impressive.  

Mayo asks you to send all of your medical records for 2 years (or from onset of symptoms)  (MRI's, etc. in CD form).  And then with consideration for your request, they discuss which doctor (they have 90 neurologists) would be the best "fit" for you.

I get excited when anyone in the Midwest is interested in Mast Cell patients!! A neurologist with an interest in mast cell would be wonderful! Cheesy  How do we know what we are dealing with unless someone can look at the WHOLE picture!??

I have been diagnosed with dysautonomia, possible POTS and a seizure disorder (I take Keppra daily).

I hope this somehow helps.  IMO it never hurts to send your records....you can always think about what is best for you to do, while they are processing them. Smiley

Keep us posted.  Hugs, Lynda

P.s. Thanks Lisa!

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #5 - 02/26/13 at 14:01:49

Brigitte,
I don't know if this is helpful or not, but the mast cell stabilizers (cromolyn) has helped my depression tremedously.  I am guessing that the depression I was experienciing was caused by the mast cells dancing around my brain.  If I don't get four doses in the next day i will be crying.  This shows me how sensitive I am to getting those mast cell stablizers in my body.
Do you think the doc that told you of the AU would be willing to let you trial a cromolyn, just to see if it helps your issues?
Good luck!

Pam

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 02/27/13 at 14:55:05

Wow!!!! I didn't think I was going I get much of a response! Thank you thank you!! So the doctor at mayo! Sounds like a great start! The possible problem is that I am not masto, but autoimmune urticaria. Wondering if they would take me too. Being on this forum, it is apparent to me that I share many characteristics of mastocytosis. The thing is that I don't have much to send a doctor. I found out about my AU through a pharamcedical study at our university medical school (not a very good school though, lol) but other than that, I don't have anything to send as no doctor has taken me seriously when I bring up a possible connection between my psychological problems (makes me sound nuts!) and my urticaria (usually coming out as angioedema in me rather than hives). So I'm not sure I would have the "credentials" to send to get me an appointment. Any thoughts??
Speaking of mastocytosis vs. autoimmune urticaria, are there any new thoughts out there in the medical world that are finding similarities between these two conditions?? From my experience, and from reading y'all's experiences, they are so much alike!
Thank you all for taking the time to respond to me. I'm still struggling very much and need help, I just don't know where to go  Embarrassed

**is chromolyn ever prescribed for autoimmune urticaria??
*** this is me desperately pulling at strings, but I have been using this new face oil (marajuco or something like that!lol) by a makeup brand called Tarte. It comes from the passion fruit from the amazon. The oil doesn't have a fragrance, which is why I got it, but could the oil be penetrating into my skin and causing me some of these symptoms?? (Now do I sound bipolar????  Cheesy. Just kidding. That's the crazy part (no pun intended) I'm really quite normal, I just go through bouts of depression and the awful, totally consuming physical symptoms. Ick!!
« Last Edit: 02/28/13 at 06:23:59 by Britt »  

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #7 - 02/28/13 at 08:01:23

Brigitte,
Hi!  Have you ever had a tryptase test done?  
The WHO (World Health Organization) has just started recognising MCAS.  Mast Cell Activation Syndrome.  When a person has syptoms of Mastocytosis, but fall short of the WHO criteria for Mastocytosis they are considered to have MCAS.  The extreme simple explaination for the difference...With Mastocytosis you make too many Mast Cells and they behave badly.  When you have too many mast cell degranulating you have way too much histamines etc.  With MCAS you have the correct number of mast cells, but they too behave badly...so once again you have too much histamine etc.  
Now Im not a doctor so I dont know what autoimmune urticartia is...I'm guessing you have an high ANA meaning the autoimmune part.  Is that right?  The urticaria meaning hives.  So do think that your body is causing the hives?
Do you flush a lot?  If so have you been tested for Carcinoid Syndrome?
I think first you have to find an allergist that knows about mast cell disorders.  That would be your first step, because without a dr. that knows about mast cell issues you are just wasting time and money.
I know if I get nervous or stressed (emotional response) I will break out into hives, so it is all connected.
Yes it is posible that your face oil is causing some triggering.  Most of us have to use special products.  I still havent found make up that doesn't make me very ill!

Pam

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #8 - 02/28/13 at 08:09:55

If you didn't notice I sent you a personal message!  Smiley

Pam

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 02/28/13 at 12:46:40

Thanks Pam!! I got you pm Wink! Honestly, I don't really understand autoimmune urticaria all that well. Basically I have an antibody that can trick my mast cells into thinking it has come in contact with something I'm allergic to, causing my mast cells to go bonkers. But for me, I also have triggers and I have no idea whether or not this is shared by other people with AU. And my doctor is such a nit wit, all she says is that the things that are obvious triggers to me and get my body flipping out are "just irritants". I would love (not really, sounds like hell) for her to go into a laundry mat with me and just call my reaction to the detergent and dryer sheets mere "irritants"!

I really need to find someone who sees AU as a more systemic condition, as I know it is with me. I know doctor Afrin sees AU in the same light as masto symptoms, as far as the mast cells "misbehaving" in the same manor. Wondering of anyone else out there feels the same?

I did have a trypase done once, and it came back normal. Does this rule out MCAS? I feel lost because I have all these symptoms, but doctors don't recognize all these symptoms as part of it AU. It's really really frustrating.  Sad

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #10 - 03/02/13 at 16:26:34

Let me get back into this conversation a bit so that I can clarify a few things.  

First, about seeing Dr. Smith, I've given to some of you his email.  Please write to him DIRECTLY and don't take the chance of letting the Mayo choose the "right guy" for your profile!  This is a MISTAKE!!  Most neurologists are clueless as to MCs and if you don't end up in Dr. Smith's hands, or that of his colleague, Dr. Cutrer, then they are likely to think it's all psychosomatic!  You do NOT want to run that risk!

Now, as to the autoimmune masto, this is not that complicated Brigitte, it only means that your MCs are being triggered by your own serum, that you are triggering by all the other pathways that masto patients trigger with and that you also will trigger with your own serum.  In fact, I suspect that these patients really have a greater amount of triggering.   Nancy Gould had told me that she wished that more masto patients would have the ASST test run on them cause she felt that bunches more of us would prove positive to it.   I think she's right!!!  But until some kind of study or case history is published on autoimmune masto, this will continue to be ignored and brushed off as not being an MC disorder!   And again, Brigitte, this is indeed placed under the MCAS diagnostic group.   As far as I'm concerned, patients who are "true" Autoimmune Urticaria patients have ONLY THAT, and nothing more!  They should not be flushing or having gastrointestinal problems, or anaphylaxis and it should be stuck with only urticaria in order to remain considered only as autoimmune urticaria.  When it goes outside of the box, then MCAS should and must be considered.   My opinion, anyway!

Now, I'd like to bring a bit of balance to this discussion.    Pam, I need to make a few comments as to your statement, if you don't mind.  

[quote author=60515D785F545755300 link=1360727813/7#7 date=1362081683]When a person has syptoms of Mastocytosis, but fall short of the WHO criteria for Mastocytosis they are considered to have MCAS. This is true.  However, the patient needs to be investigated for SM because it is the more serious form of masto. The extreme simple explaination for the difference...With Mastocytosis you make too many Mast Cells and they behave badly.  When you have too many mast cell degranulating you have way too much histamines etc. Well, kinda right.  Where research stands right now, you have the proliferative form and what they are calling for now the non-clonal form of masto.   The proliferative form is Systemic Mastocytosis, MMAS and even some MCAS.  What they are calling the non-clonal MCAS is the patient group where they can not find any proof of pathological changes, and thus presumed that there is no clonal activity, however, this is still being discussed and the reason why is because when we go back 25 years ago, Roberts and Oates had claimed that there was an activation form of masto.   The researchers who argued against this were saying that without being able to PROVE any reason for an activation form, it could not, therefore, exist.  They could easily see the proliferation and they presumed that it was due to this that you had proof of activation, that the MCs behaved badly, but this they are questioning as well.  

Masto research has progressed impressively so in the past 3-4 years and even what they wrote 5 years ago has become outdated!  The researchers have always been puzzled as to why you have some patients who suffer terribly from all of the reacting and yet others, with SM and even aggressive SM who haven't a clue they are sick!  The issue is the activation of the disease.   ALL masto patient have the genetic defect on their MCs, that much they know for certain.  But since there is no longer just one defect, but many, they are suspecting that this is the real issue.  Yes, theoretically when you have too many MCs that this would be the excuse for all the extra triggering and thus mediator release, but this is not what is going on.  Again, there are aggressive masto and ISM patients who have the proliferation of their MCs, but they are not showing much activation.  WHY???   This is likely due to the genetic defect which has allowed for the MC to be to sensitive thus degranulate with too easily and not due to the proliferation.  This would explain why some patients merely leak and others take a real beating from anaphylaxis.  The proliferation might be only one angle and the activation another.   Until more research is done, we won't know what it is.  

With MCAS you have the correct number of mast cells, but they too behave badly...so once again you have too much histamine etc.   Well.....I'm not so sure about this either and the reason why is because it may not have anything to do with the correct number of MCs at all!   SM patients have a proliferative disorder to their MCs, and those MCs invade tissues, yes.  But they are too many because they don't die off when they should and hang about allowing for the accrual of more of the same type of clonal cell.  However, Dr. Molderings told me that ALL mast cells in masto are clonal, which blew me away when he said that too me!  Yet it makes total sense for there are forms of masto where if you look at the MC it appears totally normal - nice and round and full of granules.   Well Differential Systemic Mastocytosis (WDSM) is one of them and this is why this patient was so hard to "see" because their MCs give the appearance of normalcy.  So what if there were a type of MC which didn't show any kind of obvious difference in their BMB?  It doesn't mean that their MCs are totally normal nor does it mean that there is no prolideration going on either.  It may well be, only because to the eyes of the resarcher it look totally NORMAL and which would explain why these patients are so challenging to treat! Until more research and more sophisticated testing is done, we just don't know right now.  One thing they do know, the clonal form of MCAS is so extremely slow growing that it shows no damage upon organs.   Interesting, huh?

I hope this helps cut some of the confusion!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print