Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Face / head pressure (Read 6855 times)
NickT
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Face / head pressure
02/12/13 at 00:10:28

One of my many symptoms is that I get a pressure around my nose, face and head.

Sometimes it feels like someone is poking their thumb at the top of my nose between my eyes. At other times it will move into my gums and feel like it is pushing out into my teeth.

Often it will manifest as a feeling of something quite narrow slowly sliding down the sides of my face. Yet other times there will be a tingling in my upper lip or my cheeks.

There's more, sometimes I feel it right on the top of my head or right at the back of my head, but these seem to be rare.

When these symptoms are worst, the headaches are worst, and the irritability is worst, and the tiredness is worst.

I have also noticed that calcium is the strongest trigger of these symptoms. When it is caused by calcium my skin itches. When I take a shower my skin is really read. For the three days after calcium, the redness after a shower will gradually decline.

IP Logged

angelloz
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Face / head pressure
Reply #1 - 02/12/13 at 04:55:20

Hello and welcome,

I recently had a MCAD diagnosis for certain and am restarting some medications. I have odd pressure feeling all over my head as well and this was one of my MANY early symptoms. I have always had migraines but this is very different although one can lead to the other.  In any case, welcome aboard and keep asking questions. We can all help each other.
Angelloz

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 02/12/13 at 11:07:23

Is the calcium coming from foods or supplements?  If it's food, then avoidance is the only way to avoid it.  If it's from supplements, there may be an "inert" ingredient in caplets or pills that could be causing your symptoms.

Joan

IP Logged

phyre
Tutor

Keep believing it can
get better.
Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 02/12/13 at 17:38:45

Nick,

Did you know that your body needs to have a balance between calcium and magnesium? If you have too much calcium in your body, you will get more headaches, and you will get lots of muscle spasms. Calcium helps your muscles contract, and it makes the membrane under your skull contract and hurt when you have too much. Magnesium makes your muscles relax. If you have too much calcium in your body, you will have pain. Magnesium will (literally) flush calcium out of your body. It can make you have diarrhea if you take it for too long without calcium. You don't want to have too much.

Now you can probably get a test to see how much calcium you have in your body, but I can tell when I have too much. I get more headaches and muscle spasms. And you know when your eyelid, or some other small muscle wiggles? That is a small spasm and could be caused by a magnesium deficiency.

Don't take a whole bunch of magnesium right away. Buy one small bottle that does not have calcium mixed in. Take one per day or a half for a few days. Stop for a week and see how you feel. You also need to make sure you are drinking plenty of water for your headaches!  
I hope that helps,
Phyre

IP Logged

phyre
Tutor

Keep believing it can
get better.
Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 02/12/13 at 18:53:02

One more thing I have found very helpful for mast cell related headaches is chlorpheniramine maleate.  This is a mostly forgotten non-prescription antihistamine that is usually on the bottom shelf.   Smiley

Don't forget to drink more water with that!  

Phyre

IP Logged

NickT
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 02/12/13 at 20:44:07

Joan wrote on 02/12/13 at 11:07:23:
Is the calcium coming from foods or supplements?  If it's food, then avoidance is the only way to avoid it.  If it's from supplements, there may be an "inert" ingredient in caplets or pills that could be causing your symptoms.

Hi Joan,

Unfortunately it is both. Foods such as sea salt and calcium-fortified soya milk. The supplements like calcium oxide or citrate.

I could do a blind-fold test and 100% guarantee if there was calcium in the food/drink the symptoms are so distinct.

IP Logged

NickT
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 02/12/13 at 20:46:36

phyre wrote on 02/12/13 at 18:53:02:
One more thing I have found very helpful for mast cell related headaches is chlorpheniramine maleate.  This is a mostly forgotten non-prescription antihistamine that is usually on the bottom shelf.   Smiley

Don't forget to drink more water with that!  

Phyre

Thanks.

Absolutely correct about water for headaches. But I have 2 major caveats. First I need to wait for water to get to room temperature (cold water kills me), and secondly I have to urinate a lot which is awkward at work or out and about.

Nevertheless, I do not to be a lot smarter with water and find ways to take more in.

IP Logged

NickT
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 02/12/13 at 20:47:39

Actually, there is a third caveat. If I drink on top of food that makes things a whole lot worse too, so i try to wait at least an hour after meals.

Never simple is it?  Smiley

IP Logged

phyre
Tutor

Keep believing it can
get better.
Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 02/13/13 at 14:56:57

Nick,

Frequent urination is a tough one.  The natural remedies, like saw palmetto an pygeum will probaby agrivate mast cells.  There is also the chance that mast cells are making that issue worse - so the right antihistamine might help.  I have a couple of issues that are not considered symptoms that go away with the right antihistamines - like daily nose bleeds.  

You might also think about trying some natural things that might curb symptoms.  These supplements help stabolize mast cells:

Vitamins A, C (Ester C is better for masto), D, E, & K
Quercitin

Keep trying to find what is right for you.  We are all different, but there is one basic rule - do everything you can to reduce mast cell activation!  

Best of luck!

Phyre

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print