Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wandering itchy red splotches (Read 5528 times)
texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Wandering itchy red splotches
02/07/13 at 15:18:08

Over the past few months I have developed bright red itchy splotches of skin maybe a couple of inches in diameter. They come and stay maybe a couple of hours then disappear.  I have had them crop up on both forearms, hands, one of my legs. They are warm to touch. Is this just part of the mast cell issues or something else? I have taken pictures to document w doctor. Anyone else have this?

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Wandering itchy red splotches
Reply #1 - 02/07/13 at 23:23:33

Sounds like hives.  Personally, I tend to get small ones... so many that they start merging until I look like a leopard (although thankfully, that hasn't happened in a while!).  Other people get bigger "splotches."  The fact that they itch and disappear after a couple of hours is a big clue.  I can't think of anything else that does that.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #2 - 02/08/13 at 09:48:14

Are they flat/non-raised? Might be macular erythema. If they have a raised center might be urticaria/hives. In either case, it would suggest you are reacting to something. I would take a picture if you can and bring it to your next doc appointment.

I would closely examine what you are eating/breathing/thinking around those times to sort out triggers. I had wandering flat red splotches every time I ate supper or got anxious or hot for the first months of my illness. Now with eliminating many things I rarely get them Smiley

Keep us posted.

IP Logged

phyre
Tutor

Keep believing it can
get better.
Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 02/08/13 at 19:15:57

Does it happen after showering or after exercise?  That is when it happens to me.  

My hives are completely different though and much itchier.  Sometimes they are raised bumps that may turn red if I have them for a long time. Sometimes they are bumps that you can only feel by pressing on my skin.  They might take months to go away.

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 02/09/13 at 11:27:33

Thanks guys.... I'm kind of thinking its hives or some type of contact allergy. I am taking photos when they do crop up to show to the doctor.

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print