Send Topic Print
Zantac & depression (Read 6241 times)
bongaan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
South Africa
Zantac & depression
01/24/13 at 01:36:37

Hi all! I wish 2013 to be a year were everyone of us improve health wise!  Smiley

I recently started using Ranitidine every day (Ranitidine is the active ingredient in some H2 antihistamines like Zantac)  I very seldomly have stomach troubles but decided to give it a go and took it at night. I couldn't believe the difference it made to my sleep, it was a welcome change.

HOWEVER, unfortunately after about 2 weeks of use I started to suffer severe depression (I've been struggling with depression for years but it's always under control when my histamine levels are low). I concluded that it may be the H2 Ranitidine, googled it and saw that it was one of the side effects, stopped using it and within 2 days were almost back to normal.

I'm hoping that one of you also suffered the same problem and found a H2 that does not cause depression?

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Zantac & depression
Reply #1 - 01/24/13 at 04:55:43

Hmmm... anything is possible!  Allegra works great for a lot of people (Deb swears by it), but it gives me headaches Huh  I'm glad you felt better after you stopped taking the Zantac!  Depression is no joke.

Have you tried Pepcid?  That's what my allergist started me on.  From what I understand, although H2s are generally safe, Pepcid is uber-safe.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 01/24/13 at 06:36:32

I would definitely try Pepcid and see how that goes. Maybe it was just one of the inactive ingredients in the Zantac that bothered you. I do think that Allegra and Zyrtec are fabulous for antihistamines as well. If you have no GI problems, then you probably don't need Zantac or Pepcid. In that case, you could try an Allegra each morning and a Zyrtec each night. I always advise trying just one new med for a few days though. So I would probably try the Allegra in the morning. If fine all day, then could take another at night. Do that for a few days. Then switch and try Zyrtec in same manner for a few days (if no problems with it). If all is well, eventually switch and do Allegra in morning and Zyrtec in evening.

This is just how I try new meds. Does it apply to you? Well I don't know because I don't know your history. However, if you had planned to try some other histamine blockers, this is how I would do it if it were me. Smiley

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 01/24/13 at 06:49:42

first thing...I want you to know is that I am not recommending this product..just so you know..but I would not be doing my job if I did not tell you about it....
depression...after the death of husband I became a total mess.  I could not have a conversation with anyone even a stranger without crying..
so I went to my doctor and she knows that regular depression meds and I do not like each other...she recommended and gave me some samples of a MEDICAL FOOD...not a drug...called Deplin...she wanted me to try it..and I did...I cannot tell you how in two weeks I changed.  I even went back to ask her if this was possible...and she said yes...
I have taken this now for over a year ...no problems...it is expensive so found that I could get it direct from the company that makes it...there is only  one...and that way it was much cheaper..
also I have taken rantident for a long long time and no problems...guess that shows we are all different
JUST PUT DEPLIN IN A SEARCH ENGINE AND THE COMPANY WILL COME UP
redbird

IP Logged

bongaan
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
South Africa
Reply #4 - 01/28/13 at 20:14:36

Thank you everybody! Much appreciated, will give your suggestions a go.

IP Logged

phyre
Tutor

Keep believing it can
get better.
Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 02/03/13 at 05:03:04

I can't say for sure that I know what true depression is like, but when I take hydroxyzine, I cannot get out of bed.  I can't keep up at work, and I can't motivate myself to do anything.  Crying comes too easily too.  Depression is a side effect of hydroxyzine too.  

I wonder if you should look into antihistamines that help control serotonin.  I am trying it for migraines.  My migraines are definitely masto related.  I started taking Chlorpheniramine this past week, and it is helping so far.  I googled Chlorpheniramine with depression, and can be used for depression sometimes.  I don't know if you want to combine it with other antidepressants though.  

My doctor wanted me to try paxil, so I did, and that stuff definitely activated more mast cells for me in just a couple of weeks.  I would stay away from it if you can.  

Cyproheptadine is another antihistamine that is supposed to help your serotonin stay level, but I have not tried it.  I don't know of anyone using it either, so I don't know if it is a good antihistamine for mast cell disease.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print