Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fish - which ones? (Read 4857 times)
nomore2013
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

fish - which ones?
12/08/12 at 03:47:23

i have heard that some fish when they die, they produce histamine. i have also heard that others do not. do you know which ones do, and which ones do not?

i would like to take fish oil, and i can either take cod liver oil, like most people do, or i can take a good quality fish oil made from anchovies, sardines, mackerel.  it has epa & dha, which is good.

i am already taking flax seeds and flax seed oil, but if i could find a fish oil which is safe, or safer, i would like to give that a try.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: fish - which ones?
Reply #1 - 12/08/12 at 14:32:09

Unfortunately, mackerel has a lot of histamine.  It's a member of the "scombridae" family, which is known for causing histamine overdose (scombroid poisoning) even in normal people.  Here's a good link about it: http://www.allergyclinic.co.uk/histamine.htm

Personally, although I'm allergic to shrimp, I'm not allergic to fish or any other seafood.  Thank goodness!  I've had a lot of success eating sushi, especially raw sushi... if it's not really fresh you can tell from the smell.  Although tuna is a member of the scombroid family, I can eat it raw.  Canned is a totally different story.  Mackerel is almost never sold fresh because it develops unsafe levels of histamine so quickly.

If you're going to take fish oil... and I would be cautious about that if you have any problems with petechiae, easy bruising, nosebleeds (I do from my mast cell disorder)... then I would definitely go for the cod-liver version!

Good luck Smiley

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 02/17/13 at 14:15:40

I seem to be able to tolerate salmon, cod, and perch.  However, tilapia is gets me going.  I seem to be able to tolerate fish oil pills.  The Nature made brand works best for me.  Make sure they have been purified though, to reduce mercury.

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #3 - 02/18/13 at 04:51:34

All fish bothers me, but I eat it a couple nights a week usually. I have found that I will only mildly trigger from salmon and tilapia. So, those are my 2 that I will eat. If I need to go somewhere after dinner or be productive, I make sure to not eat fish just in case because it will probably make me feel a bit unwell. I also notice that I can eat a small portion and probably have no symptoms.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 02/18/13 at 16:13:13

The FDA has a list of hazards in fish and seafood, including histamine.  This is a link to an older post about the FDA website:

[url]http://mastcelldisorders.wallack.us/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1297547671/[url]

Of course other toxins besides histamine can contaminate fish.  Everyone seems to be different regarding reacting to different fish, so be careful if you try some.  I wouldn't recommend eating any leftover fish.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print