Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vitamin C (Read 13135 times)
PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Vitamin C
12/03/12 at 07:02:11

Okay I have been doing research on Vit C.  I have found interesting info.  It seems like too much of it can degranulate mast cells...I do horrible with citrus fruits, mybe for this reason.

• Slow-release Vitamin C (increased degradation of histamine; inhibition of mast cell
degranulation; not more than 750 mg/day)

Molderings et al. Journal of Hematology & Oncology 2011, 4:10
http://www.jhoonline.org/content/4/1/10

But I thought that I read that vit. C was a natural antihistamine. Is that what that is saying..,
So as usual I am slightly confused and I know you can't believe everything you read.  So anyone want to help me out?
I think that i have been trying to take too much based on this.

Pam

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Vitamin C
Reply #1 - 12/03/12 at 07:31:45

I would like to know also. I try to take vitamin c every day to starve away germs. Seems to work, and I feel fine. I'll research and see what I find....

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #2 - 12/03/12 at 10:37:10

Thanks Doborah,
I think it is saying in high doses it will be a degranulator but that it is naturally an antihistamine. Cheesy  What I was reading said to take it in a slow realease form....they obviously don't know how hard it was to find something I can take in regular form!
Any way thanks for your help!  Smiley

Pam

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 12/03/12 at 17:22:32

I don't have trouble with Ester C, 500 mg.  I don't know if it's slow-releasing, but I think it's a buffered form that's easier on the stomach.  I did have trouble with regular vitamin C, I think because it was so acidic and acids trigger my mast cells in my stomach and GI.

Dosing is important, too.  The general rule is to add more until you get the Big D, and than back off to the previous dose.  Sounds like asking for it, but that's the conventional wisdom.

I've read that vitamin C and calcium are helpful for stabilizing mast cells.

Joan

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 12/04/12 at 05:40:28

Joan;
Thanks for the common sense advice. Our bodies do have a very clear way of telling us when we need to make a change (although I don't always listen, but I'm workin on it).
Does anyone know of an easy to swallow calcium supplement ? I know C's come in powdered form, but Ihave to crunch up my caltrate pills just to get them down. They are huge ! And they don't taste so great. Oh Wait- what about Viactive ? I'll have to check into if they still make it/what the ingredients are. Meanwhile, if anyone knows of an alternative...
thanks,
lori

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #5 - 12/04/12 at 09:54:27

Thanks Joan,
I will look into Ester C!  I know I need the vitamins but have a hard time adding supplements!  I think I'm doing great just to get my vit. D down! Smiley

Pam

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 12/04/12 at 18:38:59

A health food or supplement store will have ideas about calcium.  It comes in liquid form you can add to milk or juice.  Apparently calcium citrate is good because it doesn't need acid to digest, so it can be taken with or without food.  Some are bigger than others, but the store staff should know of a good option.

Joan

IP Logged

Sasha
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 06/16/13 at 11:34:47

I take emergen-c when sick or when reacting ... it has 1000 mg of vitamin c along with a bunch of other vitamin (b6and b12 plus other stuff).  I can't do straight vit c but can do this for some reason.

IP Logged

NickT
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 11/28/13 at 10:42:12

I just started taking pure ascorbic acid in some water. It made my face go all stretchy and hot and inside my gums too. I thought this was a bad thing.

But the next day I had a bowel movement and then started to feel great. So I took more today and it's caused the face pressure but to a lesser extent.

I think it's having a positive effect, although it's going to take a few days to find out for definite.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print