Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vasoline-petroleum jelly (Read 10285 times)
PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Vasoline-petroleum jelly
11/29/12 at 23:22:29

It it that time of year for dry chapped lips and hands.  Because, I can't use 98% of the products on the market I have in the past used vaseline(petroleum jelly) for my dry hands and lips.  Last night a slathered some on and dabbed a bit under my eyes ( I am worried about not using any wrinkle cream) A few minutes later I noticed my heart beating really fast.
Sooooo... does anyone know if this high in Salicylates or a known trigger?
Has anyone used this safely?

Pam

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Vasoline-petroleum jelly
Reply #1 - 11/30/12 at 02:48:45

Try Eucerine Cream (not lotion). You can buy it at any store that sells lotions, such as cvs, target, etc. I put it all over my face, lips, and hands every night (and more often if I remember). It is commonly used in hospitals and really good. Doesn't bother me at all, and I trigger from all types of lotions!

Don't have an answer for your other question.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #2 - 11/30/12 at 03:34:25

Thanks Deborah!
My face thanks you too!!! Smiley
« Last Edit: 11/30/12 at 06:58:46 by PamH »  

Pam

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 11/30/12 at 04:54:04

Pam I use Johnson's baby lotion ...however I recently bought a bottle of ....Vasline lotion...orginal...
I used it one time and had to run to the water for soap and water to take the smell away..smells are big for me...but I had used it before with no problem...just goes to show that sometimes you can and sometimes you cannot...makes it a bummer most of the time...now I can use the vasline jar stuff...no problem as I use it to rub into my feet when they get so bad..

redbird

"win the next five minutes"

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #4 - 11/30/12 at 06:55:08

Thanks Redbird,
I have the "smelly" problem too!  Wink
I have tried the baby lotion too, but I'm so sensitve to everything!  I do use the Johnson and Johnsons head to toe wash for shampoo and soap and do okay with it.
I went to the store and picked up the Eucerine Cream that Deborah recommended.  It is wonderful!!  Now as long as it doesn't bother me I will be a happy camper!  I haven't used any moisterizers in almost a year and I noticed I'm getting wrinkles!  I think my face just soaked it in!!  
Hopefully the Eucerine Cream will be a miricle worker!!
Smiley

Pam

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #5 - 11/30/12 at 06:55:53

Thanks Redbird,
I have the "smelly" problem too!  Wink
I have tried the baby lotion too, but I'm so sensitve to everything!  I do use the Johnson and Johnsons head to toe wash for shampoo and soap and do okay with it.
I went to the store and picked up the Eucerine Cream that Deborah recommended.  It is wonderful!!  Now as long as it doesn't bother me I will be a happy camper!  I haven't used any moisterizers in almost a year and I noticed I'm getting wrinkles!  I think my face just soaked it in!!  
Hopefully the Eucerine Cream will be a miricle worker!!
Smiley

Pam

IP Logged

phyre
Tutor

Keep believing it can
get better.
Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 11/30/12 at 08:49:35

When I am having a flare (like the one I have been having for the past month and a half) I cannot use anything with petroleum, and I can't where polyester.  Do you have any idea how hard it is to find women's clothes without any poly?  No rayon, spadex, etc.  They don't even make women's jeans with 100% denum.  So people I know think I am going through an identity crisis when I change to men's jeans (cause some are 100% cotton), flannel/plaid, corduroy, jean jackets etc.  

I stick with things that have a short list of ingredients.  For moisturizer, I use straight jojoba oil.  It is supposed to be the closest oil to the oil that your body makes.  I don't have many wrinkles at 43.  The stuff is pricey, so you might want to try a sample or small bottle first.  The smell is mild barely there to me, and I am pretty picky about smell.  

I can't remember if you said you can have olive oil, but it is suposed to be good for your skin too.  That is less expensive than jojoba oil, and if you can eat it, you probably have some in the kitchen.   Smiley

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 11/30/12 at 12:56:44

Pam;
I'm guessing olive oil is a no go for salicylates.
The smell of petrolium/oil in the vaseline gags me.
I haven't tried Eucerin, but I have used Aquaphor
with no problem.
Phyre; I never look at the labels of jeans. It's a shame
you see all those ads for cotton; yet ya can't find it in 100%
clothing  Roll Eyes ! Probably cheaper to make clothing with artificial materials ! Angry
Good luck ladies  Wink
lori

IP Logged

phyre
Tutor

Keep believing it can
get better.
Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 11/30/12 at 17:22:48

Wow Lori!  You are right! Olive oil has the highest concentration amoung fats.  Didn't mean to suggest anything that would hurt you Pam.  I am still figuring out what foods are bad for me, but olive oil is not one of them.  There are alot of high salicylate foods I can't eat though.  

Jojoba oil might be a little more tolerable than other oils.  

You can use safflower and sunflower oil on yur face and these are low in salicylate.   If your're not from a desert state like Colorado, maybe you have never dreamed of putting an oil directly on your skin.  Oils that don't clog your pores can be very good.  Safflower oil is antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungul and doesn't block pores.  

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #9 - 12/01/12 at 08:01:26

Phyre,
No problems, I have learned to read all ingredients and look at the salicylate lists!
I actually do understand the polyester thing.  I tested positive for a chemical used in making latex.  It is in elastic.  So for awhile I tried to dress myself in clothes with out elastic.  Finding bras and underwear were the hardest!  But now I dont worry too much about it....maybe I still should, who knows!!
Thanks for your suggestions, I will look into some of the oils!
You could tell all the people you know that you are loving the flannel and mens jeans! Wink

Pam

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #10 - 12/07/12 at 00:46:57

Pam, I am so glad that the eurcerin worked! Yay! I put it on my face and hands (when I remember) every night when I go to bed because my meds dry out my skin so much. If I forget, I put it on my face in the morning and then blot it off before applying light makeup. It makes a world of difference on me. I am 45 now, but due to my skin (and the eucerin), I look much younger...at least I have been told that. LOL

Weren't we going to meet up here in Indy and have lunch or something? I have the worst memory, and I just remembered that. Oy!! Let me know if you want to anytime soon!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #11 - 12/07/12 at 03:55:19

Yes, Deborah and it is salicylate free!! Grin

I have been to Carmel twice this week!  My husband works there. So it would be silly not to get together sometime!

Pam

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #12 - 12/07/12 at 04:40:20

Well cool! I will private message you my cell phone. My daughter is headed into one of the largest cheer competitions in the country all weekend (taking place downtown), so perhaps we could choose a day next week?

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 04/14/13 at 12:38:49

This is a little off topic, but I use a product called NyeOil for the mechnical things I have to work on and lubricate.  It is a very pure mineral oil, and does not seem to bother me at all (and it does a fair job of rust prevention, and a good job of lubrication).  

It was my understanding that fossil fuels are refined into two basic products: the paraffin side, and the napthala side.  Mineral oil (NyeOil) and Vaseline are on the paraffin side (as is paraffin, which doesn't seem to bother me either, unless I burn it); gasoline is on the napthala side and it bothers me intensely, as do moth balls (also on the napthala side if I am not mistaken).

Anyway, that has proved to be a useful way for me to view things, Paraffin ? or Napthala ?   Fossile fuels (discounting the abiotic theory of origination) were all "natural" products at one time, no ?  Algea, dinosaurs, coniferous forest, etc..

Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 04/15/13 at 20:10:48

That's really interesting Todd, about the 2 byproducts. I have been confused by different advice regarding products like Sorbolene, recommended by a doctor but others saying to avoid it because of coming from petroleum.

When  I was in a massive eczema flare, basically head to to toe, an allergist prescribed paraffin, which was amazing, it left my skin so soft. However not the most convenient thing to cover your body with! It is even thicker and heavier than Vaseline, so it was like those swimmers who do distance ocean swims and cover themselves in some type of fat, but it worked brilliantly.

Ruth

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print