Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
New contruction (Read 23047 times)
Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Re: New contruction
Reply #45 - 12/21/12 at 16:06:17

Hi Brigitte,
Methylation is the term used for a type of biochemical pathway in the body to breakdown everything from homrones, enzymes, cofactors, medications, foods, toxins, etc.  Methylation itself is the process of adding a methyl group (CH3) to these things needed to break down. Liver Phase I and Phase II liver detoxificaiton is where this all happens.  Reactions to meds can stem from dozens of places, but if you can cross off IgE allergy or direct degranulation in mast cell reactions, then broken biochemical pathways may be a logical place to look.  

Several of us are using our genetic information form 23andMe to help direct this for us.  Any posts you see  about MTHFR are regarding a specific gene defect causing the body to not be able to convert inactive folate into active methylfolate.  

I have found out a big chunk of my issues are tied to methylation genetic errors and by using my genome data, I am able to sort out where my own biochemistry is broken, and why I keep reacting to various items or trends from items.  I react to sulfa meds, sulfites as a preservative in meds or food, and sulfur cruciferous veggies.  When i learned they all need to be procedded in the same chemical pathway that I have genetic blockages, it made sense and now I am avoiding them, until I figure out how to clear those blockages.  

I wish I could say all this is as easy as avoiding something but it is not.  

Regarding slow release iron, I can't tolerate it either. Since Slow Fe went off the market last year, we have found some at Target for my mom, which she tolerates.  

Best wishes,
Lyn      

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #46 - 12/23/12 at 08:22:18

Interesting. I have always thought that many of my symptoms are coming from medications, but from what in the meds, I have no idea. I wrote on here a few days ago asking if anyone knew of a dye free slow release iron. I finally found one and started it two days ago. I have been shaking like a nervous dog ever since. After reading your post on methylation, I looked and my iron is ferrous sulfate..... Hmmmmmm..... I am not diagnosed MCAS (although I highly suspect it) so I wasn't able to get in on that study. At this point my diagnosis is autoimmune urticaria. But Dr. Afrin sent me a email saying that when it comes to mast cell disorders, although the reason may be different, the outcome of degranulation is the same. I wonder how I could get tested for a methylation "problem". What are some of the drugs that you know you have a problem with??? I would say 90% of the time I have either a adverse reaction to medication/vitamins/minerals/herbs, or a bad reaction. It makes taking anything quite an ordeal for me!  Cheesy I just wish I could start putting some of the pieces together! So frustrating! But I am thinking these iron pills are a no go. Already took it this morning  Angry

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #47 - 12/23/12 at 18:55:24

Has anyone discussed methylation issues with Dr. Akin, Dr. Castells, or Dr. Afrin or other mast cell disorder authorities?  If this is going to be discussed as a potential treatment for mast cell activation problems or as a cause of MC problems, someone needs to get an opinion from our experts.

I'm not suggesting there is or isn't truth in what you're saying, but we aren't doctors.  The docs mentioned above can tell us if there's any research showing a relationship between methylation and MC issues.

Joan

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print