Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
New contruction (Read 22838 times)
PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
New contruction
11/29/12 at 23:16:44

I have to avoid new contruction like the plague. Even premedicating doesn't work.  We joined a small group at church and ended up meeting in a new home.  Did it once for a few hours, even with benedryl, I felt bad for 2 days.  We dropped out of the group. I have read that it takes 6 years for all the VOC's the burn off.  
I am unable to go into our local walmart...I always figured it was mold, but the building is not old and my husband and I realized that a few years back it was remodeled.

Does any one else have a hard time with the new contruction or newly remodeled?

Pam

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: New contruction
Reply #1 - 12/03/12 at 04:21:07

YES Angry

I've been triggered several times by newly-renovated spaces.  I suspect one of the culprits is latex (in the carpet, for example), but I've read that a lot of people who are allergic to latex are also allergic to the chemical accelerants used to make it... which are present in a lot of other products.  Silicone spray (used to grease the rails for garage doors) sends me right into anaphylaxis and it lingers in the space for several days.  UGH.  Found that out the hard way.  

Incidentally... at Target I have to walk quickly past the aisles with products like air fresheners, cleaning products, etc...  I'm fine in the rest of the store.  Mine was also renovated a few years ago.

On a happier note... a few months ago I painted my office at home using an "allergy-friendly" zero VOC paint (bought it at Lowe's... I think it was from Olympia).  It didn't bother me at all Smiley

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #2 - 12/03/12 at 05:41:44

Starflower,
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one!  I noticed no one had commented, and I was like...well I guess I'm the only one. Embarrassed  

Oh no, did you use the silicon spray?
Interesting that you read about that...I tested positive for some ingredient used to make latex, but I'm not allergic to latex.
Are you allergic to latex??
I am running past those aisles as well!  Grin  I usually have my husband or daughter get anything on "that" aisle!
Carpet IS a biggy, we have no carpet in our house.  New or old.
Glad the paint worked out!

Pam

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 12/03/12 at 12:35:45

Pam,
Me too!   This is ths stuff well known in the multiple chemical sensitivity and environmental sensitivities/allergy world.  

I am tracking down the reason why my body can't tolerate these things.  I am ok with pure, natural based products but react to various synthetic chemicals.  Due to the mast cell connection, I am much more aware of synthetic chemicals in nearly everything in this world.  

As you are aware form my many posts on here, my dots started connecting with dyes, then grew form there and my longtime reactions to MSG, aspartame, sacharin, phthalates, sulfites, and many other additives is directing me to look at my reason why my body can't process those synthetic chemicals.  

New contruction is riddled with all things synthetic: VOCs, silicone and latex are places to start, but there are scores of others.  Formaldehyde, plastics, likely PVC/phthalates related adds dozens.  Consider the flame retardent, stain resistant sprays on furniture, carpet, drapes, etc. Synthetic chemicals rule the world at this point.  

There is a solid anti-synthetic chemicals movement going on right now in the US, which I never paid attention to until recently.  Within this world, there are stories of others who have been able to better tolerate living in our environment.  I am intrigued by the biochemistry of what happens in our body.  I am convinced I react to so many things because my body chemistry is broken and stuff gets backed up and makes me ill.  

As I make progress, I will continue to check in her and gives updates.    

Lyn      

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #4 - 12/03/12 at 13:40:18

Lyn,
I read your post to my husband and he said "that sounds like you"!  It does.  I agree something is not working and seems broken not to be able to rid of these things in our bodies.  I have found for some odd reason, that a epson salt bath for 20 mins does make me feel better!  So I do this every day.  I feel it is cleansing some pathway that has stopped working.  (sounds a little crazy, but I don't question what seems to be working at this point!)  Cheesy
Please do keep me updated on your progress of understanding.

Pam

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 12/03/12 at 15:28:33

Pam,
I've been posting similar comments on various posts and few have responded.  I guess I take it as those folks are just not ready to consider that these synthetic chemicals are part of the equation why we are ill.  Since you asre interested, I'll share a bit of how I got to this path, so you may pick up on some cues in your own situation.  

I didn't come to this lightly, as my specific mast cell related triggers are ALL synthetic chemicals, so I guess once I figured that out, it was easier for me to connect those dots.   Where it sounds like you have issues with things found naturally in foods, intolerances to both can occur from broken chemical pathways.  So I went on a mission to learn more about these synthetic chemicals, so I could figure out what to avoid and potentially identify where my biochemistry is broken.  This lead me to better understand the items on various mast cell degranulator lists, as the most appropriate descriptor terms used may not be used on those lists, so it was tough to make those connections.  For example, on one list it says Azo dyes, when in fact you'll notice that I always reference them as FD&C or D&C dyes as those are the ingredients listed on the back of products.  I used that logic as I proceeded.  

Once I could determine what triggered my symptoms, I began to look for patterns.  I started with various meds and supplements, them moved onto other personal care products.  Pam, I know you have done this already from a sals perspective, but I wonder if you've removed all other mast cell offending items?  

Once I had those pattens in mind, I could determine that sulfa/sulfur is an issue.  Interesting but many supplements have sulfa in them, so one more connected dot.  Looking at my issues surrounding my period I know estogen is an issue.   And of course there is histamine and norepi and epi and choline with my mast cell and dysautonomia symtoms.  My high mediators all point to high inflammation, as do my issues with casein, wheat, and yeast.    

While I've dabbled with natural and holistic techniques and diet in the past, but it just didn't sustain any real progress, until I began to connect all these dots and take a real hard honest look at things I once thought I tolerated.  I also relized that my body is wasting alot of energy, nutrients and limited functioning to process these synthetic chemicals, taking away from being able to process my own hormones and cofactors so I am resolved to give my body a vacation, and have tightened up my environment and exposures.  I now know I can do this for a few more months because I am positive with the help of experts I can fix my broken body chemistry.      

Cutting to the chase, I've learned alot on how the body actuall  works from a biochemstry perspective.  Inflammation is BAD and any one with as much intolerances/allergies, histamine and other mediators floating around HAS WAY TOO MUCH INFLAMMATION, if you realize it or not.  Our foods are bound to contribute hugely, so I have begaun to integrate non inflammatory foods and stop eating the inflammatory ones.  

Where there is inflammation, there are toxins, unmetabolized hormones, cofactors and nutrients and things that clog up your body's functions and you have to get out of your body.  There are multiple channels of eliminations to get this stuff out: sweat, uringe, feces, breath, lymph, etc.  So each of these channels must be open and your body needs various nutrients to run those channels with cofactors and enzymes and other molecules.  What ever you take in must be converted into an active molecule and moved to the correct spot and moved or changed hundreds of times before you get stuff out.  And there are hundreds of these chemical equations that have to happen in order for one to be well.  

Those epsom salt baths make you feel better, because they not only give you magnesium, it doesn't have to be processed thorugh your liver when it comes from your skin.  Magnesium is necessary for hundredes of those chemical equations to work, the baths also help you detox out through your skin and lymph, clearing out the low hanging fruit so your body can tackle other functions.  Keeping your colon working regularly is another must.  There are scores of ways to support these functions, without use of synthetic chemicals, medications, and even supplements.  Directed dense nutrition is the best way to support our bodies, and unfortunately this is tough with all of our intolerances.  

So my best advice right now is to lower inflammation and heal your gut, both really critical steps in repairing those broken chemical pathways. Once I can share specifics, I will post more, if you'd like.  

Keep on Keepin' On,
Lyn       

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 12/03/12 at 16:59:56

It seems to me that synthetic chemicals are toxic to everyone, not just MC people.  Some people just have less reaction, probably because their bodies can clear those substances better than ours.

My body doesn't seem able to clear scents.  I'm better than I used to be, but the detergent and candle aisles in the grocery store are the worst! (Well, that would be other than the scented products store at the mall.)  I do notice I can tolerate them more when I'm not flaring in general.  I had a problem with someone in a class I was taking who had fabric softener in her clothing.  It made me feel weak and faint.  I moved away from her and glugged down a lot of water and that helped.  Antihistamines don't seem to help with scents, but it does seem to back off first when I'm doing better.

There are so many chemicals in new construction, including glues and binders to hold wood products together, outgassing of carpets and high VOC paint, etc.  It's rough to be around building sites!

Joan

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #7 - 12/03/12 at 23:35:05

I've been sick / too weak to feel healthy while standing up for 23 years so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to react to these chemicals.

I was feeling toxic in the scented or soap sections of stores, in the plywood section of Home Depot and anyplace that's musty but it's not been as bad since changing my diet. My rhinitis stopped about 6 years ago but my oi / weakness in this environment is just as bad.

I typically don't feel the need to leave tho unless I can't breath. Musty places are my worst offenders.

Fwiw,  I'm assuming many of us are either struggling to keep up, resting or researching our symptoms and meds. Researching this stuff is grueling on it's own.  So lack of responses can just mean we're too pre-occupied, esp this time of year. I've only bought 1 gift.

Tc .. Marcia

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

BlueSkies
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 12/04/12 at 03:02:26

Hi MarciaB,

I am also chemically sensitive, and have had environmental illness for over 30 years.   A LOT of people are chemically sensitive!   So you are not alone!

I agree with Lyn's description of new construction chemicals.   New items "out gas" chemicals, and that can go on for years for some things.

In our home, we try to avoid extra chemicals.   We're careful what we bring into our home.   Stores are so full of chemicals, they can give me brain fog really fast no matter what aisle I'm in.  

In general, new things out gas!   Unless they are all natural.   Like, new furniture may have press board in it = glue, formaldehyde, not to mention the varnishes on the wood.   Plywood is full of glue & formaldehyde.

I do better with things that are second hand - unless they've been around smoke or perfume.

BlueSkies

IP Logged

BlueSkies
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 12/04/12 at 03:10:34

Lyn,

I am very interested in learning how to avoid inflammatory foods, and especially how to heal your gut.  

I have just this year been learning about leaky gut.   I checked out some functional chiropractic doctors who specialize in diet and claim to heal your leaky gut, but their prices were way out of my reach.   And, now I am beginning to learn that the foods they were using would probably be bad for masto.   (like - going on a fermented diet for several weeks!)

Anyway, anything you would like to share on this topic I would love to hear!  

Thanks!
BlueSkies

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #10 - 12/04/12 at 04:29:38

This discussion is explaining why I feel so much better outside in fresh air.   I feel best either the beach or in mountain air.  

It's weird going from a 15 year cfs dx to being a celiac with ataxia + ? and now treating for mast cells.

So what r people doing to tolerate these chemicals so we don't feel bad or have to leave ?  I know to use children's benadryl if my throat itches / allergic reaction but how do we counteract the chemical intolerance ?

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #11 - 12/04/12 at 04:43:30

Hi blueskies,

After a few years of eliminating the common food intolerances, gluten, casein, soy, etc I wound up on the paleo diet then switched to the wahls diet in jan 2012. It's not uncommon for people to have problems with grains and legumes which leaves us eating whole foods.

We all have different intolerances and needs so I use diet plans as guidelines. Dr wahls includes all the healthy foods I've learned about over the years. Her ted video explains it.

I could eat fermented foods until this year. Now I just make coconut kefir with metagenics probiotics. So far I seem ok with it. Kow.

Tc .. Marcia

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 12/04/12 at 05:31:38

Not only New construction;
Also Old buildings can harbor many triggers for us. I am convinced my former workplace contributed to my allergies, & bringing out my masto.
It was an old school built in the 1800s. Imagine, standing water in the crawl spaces & basement, leaky roof, black mold, old dirty carpeting, & probably some asbestos... Thank God they closed that building (after I resigned due to masto, as Murphy's Law would have it).
When we had the carpeting in our bedroom replaced with laminate, I swear it took months of airing it out just so I could breathe comfortably at night. My husband couldn't smell that "skunky" smell.
Blueskies, have you checked out the Low Histamine Chef's site ? Lots of good info. on there.
take care ladies Smiley
lori

IP Logged

BlueSkies
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 12/04/12 at 08:58:53

Lori,

I looked the site up - thanks for the suggestion!

BlueSkies  Smiley

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #14 - 12/04/12 at 09:00:26

Lyn,
I appreciate all of the research you have done.  I feel as if I am missing something.  Because I have eleminated so much from my diet. I don't eat any thing with any aritfitial colors, flavors or any chemicals of any kind. I only drink distilled no mineral added water ( an all natural virgils cream soda every few days) I'm on a low histamine, low salicylate diet, very rarely have dairy and yet every morning I wake up swollen, eyes, face and hands.  I know Joan has mentioned that we have the most histamines in the very early morning and maybe that is my problem.  I am on an prescripton antihistamine in the evening, perhaps I should take it closer to bed time.----Anyway I don't know what else I can cut out.  I use no make up and I use only Johnsons and Johnson's Head to toe wash as soap and as shampoo, I just recently started using toothpaste, I have been using baking soda(it is really hard on the enamel) I don't use any fragrance of any kind, none in lotion, perfumes, soaps, deoderent, or laundry detergent.  I don't have any kind of airfresheners. In fact I think bleach is the only chemical that I use.

I think the only other place I could cut out things would be to buy organic meats.  Right now I buy my meat from Sams club, but no matter what I buy I read all ingredients.
So do you have any advice for me?  Am I missing something big and just not seeing it?
I dont even have living room furniture because we had bought a new sectional made from pleather and I couldn't stand to sit on it.  So we moved it to the family room. (I don't really go in there)  I don't know what to buy to sit on...someone said they did better with used, maybe I should look into something that has been used long enough that the VOC are gone!
So thanks for any advice!

Pam

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print