Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Topical or inhaled treatments for internal symptoms ? (Read 3240 times)
MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Topical or inhaled treatments for internal symptoms ?
11/24/12 at 06:27:10

I just wondered if taking meds this way might help us avoid some of the side effects from certain meds.

My throat was hurting about 30 minutes ago and rather than taking children's Benadryl, which I know works but makes me drowsy, I used the Benadryl stick on my neck.

It seemed to help it a little. I only used a small amount tho.

Has anyone tried other treatments typically used internally as topicals ?  Or as inhalents ?

Nasalcrom dries out my brain if I used it as designed but I was wondering if others had tried making a cream out of it.

I did a little googling and read that topical allergy meds like the Benadryl stick weren't recommened because they may cause our bodies to stop responding to Benadryl.  They recommended using a steroid cream instead. Somehow that didn't sound right to me either. Wouldn't this cause our bodies to stop reacting to steroids over time too ?

Tia .. Marcia

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Topical or inhaled treatments for internal symptoms ?
Reply #1 - 11/24/12 at 12:03:53

What you read is right that topical Benadryl isn't advised.  It can cause sensitization to oral Benadryl and reactions to it.

Repeated or continuous use of topical steroids can cause skin thinning and poor healing in the area.  Not enough is absorbed to be helpful with systemic reactions.  Oral is a better choice.  Avoiding triggers is the best, although not always possible option.

There is a cream using nasalcrom, and I think it's posted here.  If not, I'm sure you can Google it.

Joan

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #2 - 11/24/12 at 12:45:51

Thanks joan.  It's great to have people here that know this stuff..I'll have to google cromlyn cream.

I ended up taking 10 mg Wal-zyr and it stopped it completely.
So using benadryl externally failed.

I'll have to look for whatever is triggering this because I have it now.

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 11/24/12 at 13:01:44

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #4 - 11/26/12 at 07:13:19

Thanks lyn.

I looked at this but only saw it being used for rashes.  I read that cromlyn won't get thru because it's too big.

I get unidentified mild rashes nightly that itch for a few minutes but then go away by morning. Weird ...

I was trying to bypass the allergen problem we face when swallowing our meds. It's a mine field out there for those of us with multiple allergens.

I was prescibed 10 mg Singulair but it contains lactose and lesser doses 4 and 5 mg tablets have aspartame.  I avoid lactose because so far I've found that it contains lactoferrin which causes a paget's flare. I'm not sure if I can handle aspartame.

Speaking of this, are any of these meds available via injection ?

I vaguely remember reading that certain areas of our bodies absorb chemicals better than others. Arm pits was one .. Maybe this is a safe option.

How about adding cromlyn, etc to an epsom salt bath ?

Tx .. Marcia

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 11/26/12 at 18:30:00

Histamine levels are much, much higher at night, so that is probably what accounts for your rashes flaring at night and going away by morning.  Another cause could be something you eat at dinner.

Joan

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #6 - 11/28/12 at 06:24:09

Thanks joan. I eat mostly paleo so I eat veggies and meats for breakfast, lunch and dinner most of time too.

My supplements and meds are the same during this time too. Unless it's taking my body about 12 hours to react. I take most pills in the morning.

I wonder if it's increased histamine or if I'm allergic to something going on in my gut at that time of night.  I saw an article about being allergic to our own estrogen. Maybe it's similiar ?

So maybe I should try cromlyn cream on my abdomen at night. And / or take gastrocom ?

Tx .. Marcia

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #7 - 11/28/12 at 19:13:02

It can take up to 72 hours to react from foods.  You may already be aware, but conventional meats can have antibiotic residues as well as high levels of bacteria.  As a rule, organic is better for MC people, IMO.  There's a current article about the differences in conventional and organic pork in Consumer Reports.  It's eye-opening and scary for those of us who react to these things..

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print