Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Documentary: FOOD MATTERS (Read 8982 times)
Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Documentary: FOOD MATTERS
11/22/12 at 18:39:14

Another fascinating and informational documentary on the power of real food.

Has anyone gone raw in treating their mast cell disorder/histamine intolerance? Or at least upped their content of raw food? How about trying these superfoods?  

I have already given up the vast majority of the processed, boxed, dead foods I used to eat, greatly eliminating my exposures due to the chemicals, additives, colors, preservatives that make me anaphylax. I'm looking to take this all to the next level and appreciate hearing how nutrition and supplements have helped you manage your mast cell symptoms.  

Thanks, Lyn

http://www.foodmatters.tv/2012-Free-Screening

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Documentary: FOOD MATTERS
Reply #1 - 11/24/12 at 02:29:33

I am curious at to your definition of raw food. Do you mean non-processed foods or uncooked veggies and fruits? The reason that I ask is that uncooked veggies and fruits are common triggers for people, so it is important to be aware of that. Now that doesn't mean that mast cell people cannot eat uncooked veggies or uncooked fruits. Everyone is different, and some aren't affected by food at all. However, there are some foods which tend to make us sick more often than others, and I know that raw foods are on that list.

I happen to be one of the people who get dangerously ill from eating raw things. It is crazy that I cannot even eat half of an apple or a handful of little carrots, but if I do it will feel as if I ate a bunch of knives! LOL. Yikes! I have a bit more luck if I eat cooked veggies, but even then only certain ones won't make me sick.

Now, in regard to eating unprocessed foods, that is a TERRIFIC idea. I am all about that! Definitely the chemicals and who knows what in the processed foods make many of us feel terrible. I  tend to eat more natural foods if possible, and I know for a fact that it helps.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #2 - 11/24/12 at 13:45:14

Hi lyn,

I responded to this on dinet but thought I'd add my two cents here too.  Wink

I probably watched this when it first came out.  I read up on this at amazon today and it seems to be a lot of what I learned in the last 7 years.  Imho, there's too much hype about the benefits. I'd prefer a more realistic approach to possible benefits.

My 2 cents. I've been gfcfsf + chemical free since 2005. Paleo since 2008. And Wahls since Jan 2012.  And while my body has responded well to eliminating my known intolerances, I still have a lot of health issues.  BUT I'm a super sensitive celiac with probable other gluten oriented organ damage and since gluten is everywhere my body is continiously being damaged.

I've also been tested and treated for a variety of things my integrative doctor found in the last 4 years. She wasn't up on the mast cell protocal when I asked but I'm hoping she will be the next time I see her. Meanwhile she referred me to an allergist / immunologist.

I realized that I had been missing some triggers when I responded so well to taking mega doses of allergy meds, esp wal-zyr. I thought my pelvic and bladder pain were from oxalates but they weren't. Yay !  

These may be environmental or unresolvable triggers tho.   There's no guarantee I'll ever find any place that's allergen free enough for me.   I'm thankful to have found meds that are helping.

So there's the condensed version of my story.   Roll Eyes tc .. Marcia

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 12/01/12 at 18:35:45

Thanks for your responses ladies.  Sorry it took so long for me to respond, as I haven't been on here much in the past few weeks.  

Deborah, yah, chemicals make me so sick, and I do so much better of them.  Other than a low histamine/salicylates/possibly low oxalate or GF/cassien free diet, I was wondering if others have gone the route of using food as your medicine.  Right now I'm in the camp of "limiting the things that make me feel worse" and moderation for the rest of what I take in.  

Marcia, I have been reading up on Dr Wahls and have watched two of her videos so far.  A friend lent me the DVDs of her complete set.  

I've also been reading up on methylation issues and bypassing genetic defects through appropriate supplementation to restore biochemical pathways in order to breakdown histamine, estrogen, dopamine, salicylates, sulfa/sulfur/sulfites, as well as dozens of other hormones, co factors and enzymes necessary for the body to function properly.  

I see Dr Wahls has incorporated some things to overcome her MTHFR (specific enzyme needed to convert inactive form of folate to active form) genetic defects.  Have you had your genes tested, like through 23andme?  Marcia, I'm wondering how you are incorporating supplementation specific to your own genetic issues into Dr Wahls program.  

Thanks,
Lyn      

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #4 - 12/02/12 at 03:13:35

Hi lyn,

I'm impressed with your research. I'm familiar with what you've been studying but I'm not convinced the facts are there to back it up yet.

I can't digest the supplements for glutathione depletion methylation cycle block without feeling toxic either.  I'm ok with certain supplements but I can't take any multis probably because I don't feel well on certain b vitamins (B2 causes bladder pain).

Back when I tried folate, my labs came extremely high so I stopped. Same thing for some other supplements I took. Taurine was another one that came back extremely high.

The newer genetic research, imho, is too new to provide us with concrete answers. Imho, research into how our bodies function is too heavily biased for me to believe most of it. Then there's the little known but important research like mast cells that slipped thru the cracks. I've really gotten cynical over the last 7 years.

So I'm sticking with what I  know. Things like my celiac gene and knowing I over produce gluten antibodies to minute amounts of gluten. And gluten is everywhere.  And I'm missing my gallbladder which turned out to be more important than the surgeon indicated.
We need our gall bladders to buffer our liver functions.

My stool tests show that I'm low on elastace which is making anything having to do with fat digestion off.

And I know I have a mast cell / allergy problem which is going to throw other chemicals off.

We know our bodies need nutrient rich foods but how much and which ones are dependent on the person.  I like Dr Wahls info but
I view it as a guideline only. I love her story tho. I've only seen her online videos.  

For ex, I can't digest a wide variety of foods, including healthy meats and veggies. For whatever reason, it's not something I've not been able overcome yet. And in some ways it's gotten worse.  I suspect permanent gut damage from 50 years of eating gluten.

Tc .. Marcia

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 12/02/12 at 05:17:46

Marcia,
I haven't yet started any methylation directed treatments yet, but am reading up on this concept form multiple angles.  I'm reading/viewing about various protocols and am finding great pearls of wisdom that literally explain why I react to various things based off my 23andme data and tracking down the implications on this messed up biochemistry through each of the folks I am following:  Dr Yasko, Dr Ben Lynch, Dr Kendal Stewart, Dr Rich Van Konynenberg, Sterling Hill, Dr Tim Jackson, Dr Terry Wahls, and others.  I am fascinated that this concept has been used to reverse autism, CFS/ME, MS, cancer, Alzheimers and Dementia, Lupus, and other disorders.  I figure if I understand the science enough to figure out where my biochemistry is broken, I can then fix those broken pathways and regain wellness.      

I started reading about methylation and supplements, but that was way too confusing for me, so I set out to find resources that explained the biochemistry side of it all.  I learned a long time ago that taking the wrong form of a supplement or wrong amount can cause me problems, so I try to be as informed as possible so not to make me worse.    

I hear you on the biases in healthcare, it makes me so crazy, that I tend to over-research a topic, just so I make sure I am not suckered down a path to line someone's pockets.  

I'm finding great value in having my genome results from 23andme, as I can literally track which SNPs I have and see what biochemical pathways are blocked.  While the fields of epigenetics and nutrigenomics are really new, there is ample scientific data to the various recovery protocols out there to get my attention.  

For example, I do not have MTHFR, but have issues with COMT causing issues with breaking down estrogens and catecholamines, such as dopamine, epi and norepi.  My CYP 1B1 SNP adds to my estrogen metabolism woes.  I have VDR SNPs meaning I can't properly make/convert Vit D.  MAOA SNP leads to issues with serotonin.  MTRR SNP leads to issues with folate and methionine metabolism. CBS SNP involves issues with transulfonation meaning it backs up the conversion of sulfa/sulfites/sulfur into sulfates.  Since many many supplements and foods contain sulfur, I supect my ongoing issues lie in this camp.  Taurine is a sulfur based amino acid. This CBS SNP can back up just about every function, eventually leading to gluatathione depletion and making the body unable to properly get rid of toxins, unmetabolized hormones, cofactors or enzymes, and a score of other problems.  One of these SNPs is responsible for histamine not to be broken down properly, bringing it back to mast cells.  

And I have several blocked CYP 450 pathways, leading to poor metabolism of certain drugs and sensitivity to alcohol, benzene, PEG, cigarette smoke and other items.  

Seriously, I have learned more information with this one test which validated more symptoms and reactions than any other single test I have taken in the past 15 years.  I am opting for a comprehensive approach to recovery and believe there is much value in all this.  

It wasn't until I got knee deep into this research that it hit me:  just as autism, CFS/ME, cancer, IBS, autoimmune disease rates skyrocket due to an epidemic of broken chemical pathways in each of us, we are taxing our immune systems to a new limit and this is likely part of why MCAS was only recognized a few years ago.  And all of these disorders are driven by massive inflammation.  

Which points to allergens, gluten, casien and other proteins we can't properly break down - they cause inflammation.  They say healing has to start in the gut, and when you can properly assilimilate nutrients, then it is advised to address these methylation defects.  Until then there are topical or subligual supplements that bypass the liver detox system and can get to the areas that need em the most.  

I recently learned about Cholacol and Ox Bile, two enzymatic supplements that support those without a gallbladder.  Have you looked into a bile supplement?  

Dr Kendal Stewart has 5 15 videos on You Tube.  His talk is geared to an autism audience, but he talks about neuroimmune disorders in general.  He gives a great explanation on b cell and t cell imbalances and how this can lead to hypersensitivity of the immune system and make people be allergic or sensitive to just about everything.  Sounds like MCAS/SM to me.            

As the epigenetic experts say:  Your genes loads the gun and your environment pulls the trigger --> dysfunction.  

Oh, as you can tell  I'm really torqued up about all this.  I really hope some of this can help someone connect some dots.  

Best wishes on your journey to wellness,
Lyn                

IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Reply #6 - 12/02/12 at 06:19:04

Hi lyn,

I've been where you are when researching but I finally fizzled out.  Wink
It's great that you and other patients are delving into this tho.  We need patient feedback to keep them honest.

Following the neverending biochemical pathway logic / protocal and now genetic connection to these, was entertaining  but over time I found too many holes in their logic to continue to believe it.

In my experience, sometimes when a medical theory gains popularity it becomes true despite missing the facts. Rich V, rip, later included fixing leaky gut first into his protcal but I don't know where that info is. If he has / had a main page, I was told it was on it. He was great about learning and changing his proposed protocal.

Dr Wahls may have had gluten intolerance problems because gluten and ms have been linked. I haven't checked with her to see if she covers this but her diet is gf. There's at least 1 website dedicated to gf / ms connection.  I had white lesions on my brain (ms marker) and ataxia that were reversed via the gf diet.

The low oxalate theory is the most recent one gaining ground and imho, it's full of holes.  In this literature they talk about things like continuously "dumping" which from watching the yahoo board are really symptoms of anything, even running a fever. And they're ignoring how mast cells are involved.

I'm assuming free thinkers aren't popular in medical communities. Lol.

I'd love to have the genetic testing you've had just out of curiosity.
But, seeing as how I've always had a celiac gene (dq2) and ate gluten for 50 years without getting the typical damaged villi reacton of constant runs I don't put much stock in genetic tests. Knowing dq2's are prone to gluten intolerace, esp neuro problems, is good to know tho.

At one point when  was following this, 500 + genes were connected to Parkinson's. I'm not sure where all this is now.

I haven't looked into the gall bladder supplements you suggested but I will. The way my doc put it was that without a gall bladder the liver dumps it's "whatever" (my word not hers) into my digestive tract so I no longer have a buffer.

Great chatting with you. Marcia

« Last Edit: 12/02/12 at 10:29:31 by MarciaB »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print