Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Surgery (Read 16068 times)
Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Surgery
Reply #30 - 12/04/12 at 18:47:31

I agree with Debbie.  Keep a positive attitude and remember that you've done everything you can to stay safe.  Try tomfeel confident that the pre-meds will work!  They have for me, even through a couple of major surgeries.

Good luck tomorrow!

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #31 - 12/06/12 at 06:29:58

I survived! All the pre-planning meant the day was a near breeze!

Full story here http://mastcellactivation.blogspot.ca/

Thanks so much for the help.

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #32 - 12/06/12 at 12:42:28

Ana,
I've been cyberstalking you for the past 24 hours looking for word.  Thank you so much for posting.  I'm relieved it went like a breeze.  Congratulations for all your hard work!!!   Will now check out your blog.  Smiley

Lyn

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #33 - 12/06/12 at 14:36:36

Yay!  That's great news!   Grin Smiley Wink Cheesy

So glad you planned ahead as well as you did.  A few years ago we were all waiting with breath held for Lisa to get out of her heart surgery.  Happy we didn't have to wait as many days.

Be sure to take extra good care of yourself for a while so symptoms won't creep back in as you discontinue the prednisone.

Joan

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #34 - 12/07/12 at 13:29:27

Time to celebrate because Ana is back!  Cheesy Smiley Smiley So glad that everything went smoothly!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #35 - 12/08/12 at 14:41:33

Thanks so much everyone.

The day went so much better than I expected. Now almost off steroids and biggest issue has been a tiny rash from the dressings which is near miraculous considering what I was expecting!

The staff literally bent over backwards to protect me from scents and all of my triggers.

Had a rapid steroid taper. Took 50 mg Benadryl every 6 hours for first 24 hours then decreased to 25 mg for a day and stopped today and back on regular antihistamines. Just trying to roll with things and hope for the best!

Really helped to know everyone here was rooting for me. Appreciate it! Smiley

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #36 - 12/09/12 at 08:49:29

Ana;
Yaaay !!! Cheesy I was wondering how it went.
Ditto what everyone else said ! Wink
lori

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #37 - 12/21/12 at 23:34:30

Just to update... I had rashes around two of the incisions after a few days post op but they faded in a week. I took some extra meds (Benadryl) off and on during the first week, but have been off it since. use Tylenol for a few days and am now off.

My diet has progressed more rapidly than it has since I first got sick, so so far no complaints.

I have lost my radial pulse from the arterial line site. Us mast cell people are at higher risk for vascular complications from vascular access. I tried to refuse the line, but they were so worried about a hypotensive episode they really wanted to have one which makes sense. But seems it occluded my radial artery. I'm really hoping it will recanalize in time as I don't want to be down to one hand artery, BUT even if I am it's better to be alive I suppose.....but I didn't have any hypotensive episodes, so they theoretically could've just checked my BP with the regular cuff.

If I have another surgery I will likely try to insist that they go without unless they run into complications to prevent losing another artery for prophylactic reasons.

Just want to put this all out there in case anyone runs into similar things with surgery in the future

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #38 - 12/22/12 at 02:17:18

For those of us who know nothing about this type thing, can you explain what an arterial line and radial pulse are?

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #39 - 12/22/12 at 18:31:52

Of course sorry for rushing through it.

An arterial line is like an IV (these go into veins) except it's in arteries and generally used for different purposes. They poke it with a needle then put a catheter (plastic usually) into the artery. The least invasive and most commonly used ones are at the wrist where you normally check your pulse also known as the radial artery. They are put in during surgeries on "high risk" patients and not generally used for normal healthy people unless it's a very complicated surgery.

Their intra-op purpose is for "real-time" blood pressure monitoring. Instead of waiting 1-5 mins or whatever interval for the BP cuff to inflate. They could catch the earliest signs of low or high blood pressure this way. And, if someone becomes very unstable they can keep a closer eye on how the patient is responding. So you can see all the benefits to having one.

That being said, they have a higher complication (running into issues) rate than IVs. The poke can cause a clot that blocks the artery, Can spasm the artery, can throw clots the the arteries "downstream" from the poke site killing the tissues, or can tear the wall causing some ballooning known as pseudoaneurysms, and can be a source of bleeding. So that's why they dont' just throw them into anyone. Many mastocytosis papers recommend having them for surgery. That being said, I have developed clotting, infections and reactions to every IV I've had, be it the foreign body or plastic or what's injected through it so when I discussed this with my mast cell docs the advice was to avoid the arterial line if possible. Us masto folk have a higher risk of vascular complications anytime a vessel is manipulated. So it was my instinct to avoid it. But I could understand why the people taking care of me would feel safer with it.

Can be a bit of a grey area depending on the situation.

Anyway, I've run into complications from mine--my radial(wrist) artery has clotted and I no longer have a wrist pulse.  Could be worse though. Thankfully there are two main arteries to the hand (radial and ulnar) so when one goes, the other takes over, but you are more dependent on the one artery in that situation which can be a dicey situation if anything ever happens to that artery such as with age or a nearby broken bone etc

There is a small chance my body will breakdown the clot or whatever's going on and recanalize it long term. You could theoretically have a study of the hand arteries using x ray dye to see how it looks and give heparin or something if needed, but I am not going to get xray dye given that's how I ended up here! And don't want the complications of another procedure.

Hope that makes some sense. If it doesn't, just let me know and I'll try again Smiley I keep rushing through so am probably too scattered.

Still overall could be SO much worse

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #40 - 01/08/13 at 22:53:11

5 weeks post op and doing GREAT

only issue is subcutaneous dissolvable sutures not dissolving and poking through incisions and kind of delaying healing. Might remove them in the next little while

praise God Cool

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #41 - 01/09/13 at 02:19:27

Yay! So glad to hear it!!!! Smiley

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3