Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Surgery (Read 16023 times)
Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Surgery
11/18/12 at 19:42:13

Having surgery to remove my gallbladder on the 28th if anyone can send some mast cell stabilizing vibes and/or prayers my way they would  be VERY appreciated.

Smiley

More details here

http://mastcellactivation.blogspot.ca/2012/11/its-coming-out.html

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Surgery
Reply #1 - 11/19/12 at 04:55:11

Ana;
Prayers on the way !!! Positive thoughts too !
Kiss
lori

IP Logged

PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 11/19/12 at 14:07:21

Ana,

I subscribed to your blog a few months ago and have been following it with great interest. Your posts have helped normalize my experience of MCAS and I'm sure many others have and will benefit from the detailed information you share about your life with mast cell issues.

I am sending you massive amounts of mast cell stabilizing vibes! I'll be thinking about you and continuing to send good thoughts your way.

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 11/19/12 at 18:07:34

Ana,
I am sending you lots of positive healthy vibes and prayers for an uneventful and successful surgery, and amazingly quick recovery.  I too follow your blog, and just tried the microwave potato chip recipe, which was tasty.  

Please let us know if you need anything, especially research, while you are recuperating.  You have come so far, great job!  

Thanks for all you do, you are one of my heros.

Lyn

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #4 - 11/19/12 at 19:18:27

Thanks so much everyone!

So kind of you!!

Lyn-- did your chips turn out? So glad you tried them! They have really made the restrictions so much easier! I have them and yam chips at least once a week. Maybe they'll be my last post surgery meal. So great that they're fat and additive free too. I appreciate all of your help along the way.

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 11/19/12 at 19:47:21

Ana,
My pleasure.  

I love the crunch of chips, but hate the sulfites, even with the "natural" chips.  So this recipe jumped off the page at me.  My first batch of chips were fantastic!  Just perfect, not too dark, but crunchy. I used a quad sided hand grater, and the sliced were uneven, but tasty.  The second time, I wanted to use up several older potatoes, used a salad shooter, and they didn't turn out so good.  I overbrowned them, which was odd, since I cut down the cooking time.  Unfortunately, half of this this batch had a distinctive carcinogen taste.  Will have to try yams, we've got several in the house.    

Hey, I read your blog and was enthralled with one particular pearl of wisdom - furnace room expediting the offgassing of several plastics.  Pretty cool.  I wonder what kind of furnace filter do you have?  I wonder if the filter zapped up those little VOC buggers, like a mosquito zaper?  What do you think happened?  

What are you doing about food post op?  Will they serve you your own foods?  

Here's to hoping you get to eat an expanded menu by Christmas!  
Lyn

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 11/19/12 at 20:50:28

Hi Ana,

I hope all goes well. You've certainly done your homework on the subject!  Will look forward to your post about how well you did after it's over! Smiley.

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #7 - 11/20/12 at 13:52:01

Thanks Joan and Lyn.

Yes I am bringing in my own food and water. They know to get me to fresh air as soon as I'm able to ambulate. I hope I'm extubated quickly post op. I will bring food for 2 days. The water is a mega hassle as there are so few containers for water I can tolerate.

Some last minute glitches with the planned drugs which is stressful but trying to stay calm.

just recovering from a reaction from meeting in a room that smelled like cleaner. Just hate the hospital it kills me slowly.

I now have an industrial mask that I can tolerate (from putting it in the furnace room--I think it is the heat Lyn as I had been advised to put them in the sun by doctors familiar with chemical sensitivity) I wear the mask in the common areas. It gives me low grade symptoms but nowhere near as bad as the hospital air. The regular masks do nothing for me.

I think it is the phthalates on the plastics. I obtained Tygon from a company called Saint Gobain and it is plasticizer free and I do not react to it, but it is not yet available in medical plastics.

The wild cards are just knowing I react to all the plastics and they'll be breathing for me and running through my veins. Ick. And the meds most of which I've never had.

Debating about whether to have an arterial line. Anesthesia would like. Allergy advised against and I'm just not sure!

Bringing in my air filter into the room. They are having me go straight to an ICU room for premeds that will be washed with baking soda and water and hydrogen peroxide. Taking everything unnecessary out of the room etc

I can't WAIT to be on the other side. The severity of my reaction from a meeting only is not encouraging to say the least. Let's go premeds!!

Hoping I dont' have a POTS flare also. But I'll take whatever flares as long as I live through it.  Smiley

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 11/21/12 at 04:56:50

Ana;
Please remember as you are drifting off right before surgery...
There are people whom you've never met in person, that are sending positive vibes, & prayers your way! You will be in our thoughts til you are "back on the other side". I hope this eases some of the stress, that you have a peaceful Thanksgiving!!!
Kiss lori

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #9 - 11/21/12 at 07:39:56

Lori, it TOTALLY helps. I am so thankful to be ill in the age of the internet. I have drawn immense support from all of you.

I think of Lisa and her aortic aneurysm repair surgery and all of you who've faced so many challenges and I gain strength.

I pray that in another 10-20 years we will be less of an anonymous bunch!

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #10 - 11/21/12 at 08:22:36

Ana, please keep us updated when you are up to it ofcourse! You have done so much to help yourself so stay positive!  Prays for you!  Smiley

Pam

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #11 - 11/23/12 at 07:23:27

Thanks Pam! I appreciate it.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #12 - 11/23/12 at 17:41:24

Gosh, I hate to be offline for so long, I miss all the "fun"!   Sorry, Ana my computer crashed for good and Iīm only now getting back online more consistantly!!!

Yep, Ana, as you know I went through the Daddy of all surgeries and survived it and it wasnīt due to any positive thoughts or well wishing on my part which did it.  I have my religious beliefs I could talk about but I wonīt for  I donīt think thatīs necessary.   However, what I do think is the MAJOR REASON why I managed to get through that surgery is due to the incredible care and planning which was done by all of the doctors and their crew who took my concerns and my disease very seriously!!!   Once they began to show me their serious attitudes and their willing to listen to me I began to LET GO AND RELAX!!!

But the success of this wasnīt totally theirs, it was also mine due to all of the prior homework Iīd done to get things to this point that also was a major contribution to it all.

However, this is a team project and now that youīve done all that you possibly can to assure that things are ready, you have but one more job left to you, that of LETTING GO AND RELAXING!!!!

Ana, as you well know those pesky, rebellious, defiant and angry MCs just LOVE a party based on anxiety, strong emotions and lack of sleep!!!   You have but one more job which is to get yourself into that surgery IN GOOD SHAPE!!!   And that means RELAXED and WELL RESTED!!    You must find some kind of means of getting your anxieties and concerns under control, making sure you are very well rested prior to your surgery.  You canīt go into it tired and anxious and if that means you have some "artificial" help, meaning meds, then so be it!!!

Once I was hospitalized a week or so prior to my surgery to prep for it I told the doctors that I WANTED medication for sleeping at night.   Hospitals are notorious for being horrible for a good nightīs sleep - my husband jokes that this way nobody thinks itīs a hotel so that they want to stay!   Well, knowing how vital sleep is to keep MCs quiet I knew that I was going to need help if I would sleep the night through, so I didnīt care what they thought about this, I asked for meds to help me sleep!   I also took ear plugs to make sure any noises going on in the hallway would not waken me (nor my roommate for that matter!).  This helped me to be in good condition for my surgery.   And it was a good measure too cause my nerves went into HIGH GEAR from the point I was hospitalized and I was flushing just due to my own anxieties knowing what I was willingly going into.    I was not to the point of needing anti-anxiety meds, thankfully, and I had my computer and was able to keep my mind well occuppied and entertained with friends and family and movies, etc.   I did plenty of Youtubing and caught up on a ton of reruns of Johnny Carson and other old programs which kept me in good spirits and laughing!   I didnīt have anyone to visit me since I was in Sao Paulo and 5 hours away from everyone I knew and loved, but in keeping my mind occupied and busy I didnīt allow time for my emotions or thoughts to go into the wrong direction.   If I had begun to feel emotionally overwhelmed, however, I would have asked for anti-anxiety meds in a blink!!!    So it was through these means that I kept my reacting at a very bare minimum and I went into my surgery IN PEACE and RELAXED and CONFIDENT for I knew my doctors were totally on board and that I had nothing more to do but to LET THEM DO THEIR JOBS!!!

So, this is your homework, from now until the hour of your surgery, this is all that you have left to do!!!!   Itīs not an easy task, but I can assure you, an important one!!!

Iīm praying for you and am CONFIDENT that you will be FINE!!!!

All my love!!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #13 - 11/25/12 at 18:56:10

Thanks so much Lisa. You are an inspiration! Thank you for sharing all of your experience and knowledge.

I look forward to being pleasantly sedated throughout the whole experience

Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #14 - 11/26/12 at 18:38:36

Hi Ana,

I will be thinking of you on the 28th!  

Have you thought of bringing water in glass bottles or jars?  I save my glass spring water bottles (and lids) and refill them with filtered from my house for trips and walks.  Or, any store that sells wine or beer making equipment will have new gallon glass bottles with handles on them.

Looking forward to hearing from you post-op!  I'm sure you will feel so much better when that pesky gall bladder is gone!  It's just been causing too much trouble  Angry !

If nothing else, you've certainly done your homework on this, so everything should go really smoothly.

Joan

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print