Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
mast cells in your colon (Read 12843 times)
goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

mast cells in your colon
10/28/12 at 14:14:08

here's my question I have not been on for a while I love you guys but needed a break I just wanted time to regroup and try to figure this disease out apparently there is no figuring it out as even the biggest Dr's can't figure it out, I was told with MCAS you should not have any increase in your number of mast cells anywhere but I just got back my endoscopy and colonscopy bx's and it showed over 80 mast cells in my colon they told me they stopped counting b/c they could have continued b/c I had so many and it was producing tryptase so why if I have so called MCAS do I have so many mast cells in my colon and is that considered a definate diagnosis and why cont doing blood work and such if I have this result ok thanks all

IP Logged

rollingrfarm
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: mast cells in your colon
Reply #1 - 10/31/12 at 10:03:18

I have a high mast cell count in my colon and I was told that was the reason I was diagnosed with mastocytic enterocolitis.  There is a  Crohns disease forum that has a sub forum for microscopic enterocolitis that includes ME if you are looking for additional info

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #2 - 11/01/12 at 01:00:18

Goldie,

I wonder if you were just reacting at the time, and thus tryptase levels would rise. What doctor is overseeing your care, and testing for mast cells in particular body parts? I am under the impression that the main mast cell researchers don't do that and really don't care because they base number of mast cells upon what they find in a BMB (bone marrow biopsy). I always thought that it was kind of like being pregnant -- you either are or you aren't. In the same way, you either have too many mast cells or you don't.

Many with MCAS don't have too many mast cells, however, some may have too many. Either way, the best thing you can do is to be aware of what triggers your symptoms, try to avoid those triggers, find the right meds that help you stay well, and adapt your lifestyle to reduce triggers. If you can do these things, you have a much better chance of getting your MCAS to calm down and, for the most part, leave you alone to enjoy daily normal life. Smiley

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 11/01/12 at 05:38:32

Ladies;
I agree with Deb, bottom line is still the same. Sad
I have a question about colonoscopy.  Huh
I have been having some "issues", and they've gotten worse lately. I just turned 50, & it's time. My GP knows nothing about Masto, & isn't likely to take time to learn. SO, I am nervous about having a colonoscopy. What is "safe" for them to give us as far as preparation for one, & what else should I know/ask ? Should I ask my allergist ? Also, been having bladder issues, and all GP did was check for infection. I'm wondering if it could be IC- the symptoms seem to match.
thanks,
lori

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #4 - 11/01/12 at 12:44:34

I had throat swelling while drinking the prep...couldn't get it down so couldn't do the test.

Pam

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 11/01/12 at 13:49:19

I've had several colonoscopies with no problem.  I hate the prep drink, but it didn't affect me.  Definitely talk over your MC questions with the GI doctor.  You can always start drinking a little and see if it affects you in a bad way before you drink a whole glass of it.

I would ask about the sedation and pain medicine they plan to give you during the procedure and talk with the anesthesiologist about those. Be sure to ask about pre-medicating for the procedure according to the REMA protocols.  You'll have to use dye-free meds, or at least not anything with red in it.

Note to anyone doing a colonoscopy prep.  It's very important to keep your electrolytes up during the prep or it can affect your heart in a dangerous way.  Clear pedialyte or sport drinks can help.

Joan

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #6 - 11/01/12 at 16:19:30

I really worry about colonoscopies as well. I had one years ago when they were trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I remember having a very hard time drinking that nasty liquid, especially because a large quantity like that will trigger my anaphylaxis. At the time I was not on meds, nor did anyone have any clue my attacks were anaphylaxis.

After I had the procedure, I remember being in recovery and then being sent home...only to have my mother (driver) turn the car around and head back to the hospital because I started feeling really ill and was vomitting. I still don't know, but I suspect that I was triggering from a variety of things - the anesthesia, the procedure, the stress. So, I think that it would be really helpful if I started a new post which discussed exactly what a mast cell disease patient should do in advance of a colonoscopy. Keep your eyes open for the post, and I will put one up soon!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Gumby
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 11/27/12 at 04:54:59

I just had my fist appointment with Dr. Afrin yesterday and he was very excited to see I had a path report from 05 that showed inflammation and eosinophils from colonoscopy biopsies. He asked me to call and have them stained for mast cells. He is sure I have MCAS as I have a tryptase of 4.5 so not sure why he was excited by this. I think it is more in the realm of research and trying to put pieces together on perhaps targeting my treatment? If I had many mast cell in my colon  ( and I was having a flare when it was done) I guess this would point to using gastrocrom? Just speculating.
Gumby

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 11/27/12 at 05:25:16

Deb;
Another Great idea ! Thank you  Smiley
Gumby, do you mean that you should start taking Gastrocrom, to help with the mast cells in the colon ?
lori

IP Logged

Gumby
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 11/27/12 at 16:47:12

Lori,
I am on the Zyrtec Zantac prtocol but still have major issues with food as triggers ( I think). So I would think that if the biopsy showed a lot of mast cells in my colon that gastrocrom would be a likely next step in treatment but it is all just speculation at this time. All I know is I am still not well controlled and need more or different meds! This is all new to me and I was just diagnosed with EEDS hypermobile in April so I am still learning a lot about these.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #10 - 11/27/12 at 18:11:45

It could also help to start a food and symptom diary and try an elimination diet, such as the low histamine diet, if you suspect food triggers.  A rotation diet might help, too, in which you don't eat a food two days in a row.

My GI doc prescribes H1 and H2 antihistamines, probiotics, and gastrocrom or ketotifen for excess mast cells in the colon.

Joan

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 11/28/12 at 05:04:32

Gumby;
I take Ketotifen, I know it helps because when I forget to take it, my gut reminds me  Sad That said, I am curious about if Cromolyn or Ketotifen is more effective. Undecided Or: does it depend on the person ? So many things with this disease are subjective/relative to the individual. Might be interesting to start a poll in the medicine section... Huh
Meanwhile, as Joan says, be attuned to what you eat, & what "sets you off". I know it can be overwhelming- it's a process. Even if you look at the low histamine diet, & start a list of what triggers you, it'll help.
good luck  Smiley
lori

IP Logged

Gumby
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 11/29/12 at 03:26:25

I have already tried the chronic uticaria diet and was down to only 5 foods that did not seem to trigger me. When I asked Dr Afrin about this he said he believed I was not well controlled enough with meds yet to  be able to sort out all my triggers yet. I do know that dairy an walnuts, coffee are problems for me but other than those, it just varies so much day to day that it is hard to tell. I have stopped eating left over meats and some of the other high histamine foods but, I made some pumpkins soup one day not realizing it was high histamine and did not have a problem with it. I also have no problem with soy or peanuts. ( I think) but ate something at the Atlanta airport that woke me up @3:300 am trying to scratch my skin off and red bumps, and wired out of my mind. They were all supposedly " safe" foods but I think it may have been some herbs. I have know idea what Dr. Afrin will do with my meds but I just got back my 1st test result a spot urine methyhistamine and I think it was normal @ 30.
Gumby
Ps I am checking the box to be notified of response but never get any emails. What am I doing wrong?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print