Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Throat discomfort from allergies and/or thyroid ? (Read 2990 times)
MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Throat discomfort from allergies and/or thyroid ?
10/26/12 at 01:59:03

I'm having this off and on and can't decide if it's from my thyroid (Hashimoto's) or allergies. Or both ? The area that's bothering me is right where my thyroid sits. It feels like I have wee bit of phlegm in that area. This episode started yesterday morning and it's still here.

Anyone with thyroid problems (Hashimoto's ?) and / or throat allergies doing this  ?   If my thyroid is inflamed, does that cause mast cells to be released causing pain ? Any ideas on how to treat an inflamed thyroid ?  

If this is a mast cell reaction, regardless of how it started, do we always need to treat mc symptoms like this  ? I know from experimenting over the last few years that liquid or chewable Benadyl helps soothe this for a little while but I really don't want to be drowsy today.

Are they're any non drowsy mc meds that might help ?

Thanks ... Marcia

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Throat discomfort from allergies and/or thyroid ?
Reply #1 - 10/26/12 at 02:30:18

I don't really know the answer to your question, but if you take allegra or zyrtec, I suppose you could try taking and extra and seeing if you notice a difference.

Sometimes I will eat something and start to feel my throat feeling slightly tight. Although it never seems severe enough to get anxious about, I always take an allegra and zyrtec and within minutes my throat feels normal. Then I know that, yes indeed, I was reacting and headed toward my good ole anaphylaxis symptoms! Thank goodness I respond so quickly to a simple antihistamine!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

MarciaB
Guiding Light

Life is Good on MC meds!

Re: Throat discomfort from allergies and/or thyroid ?
Reply #2 - 10/26/12 at 06:41:20

Thanks Deb,

About an hour ago, I took your advice and took 5 more mg Wal-Zyr  (Walgreens Zyrtec) and it seemed to help. It's back tho so I'm going to try another 5 mg.

I stick to the 5 mg at a time during the day because when I tried taking a second 10mg tablet after my morning 10 mg dose, it made me feel weird but 5 doesn't.

I specifically asked about the thyroid area since my other throat swelling is down further and my thyroid area isn't affected at all.  Huh

Weird, I know ...  Cheesy ... tc ... Marcia      

CFS,FM,Celiac,Ataxia,Dysautonomia,Paget's,Seizures,PelvicPain,Hyperinsulinemia ...Responding to Wahls diet, supps and MC meds.. kow ...    

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print