Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thoughtless remarks... (Read 5028 times)
iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Thoughtless remarks...
10/15/12 at 07:22:44

Same ol' story;
Okay- so I know we've talked about this before but...
I f one more person makes a "Oh, you don't work?" comment, I may just strangle them !!! Angry
I feel like printing up a resume, showing it to them, then saying;
"Now show me yours"  Tongue
Seriously, I started working when I was 15.  Took a few years off til my "baby" was in school, then went back to "work" for another 15 yr.s til I got this disease- from work. (well I truly believe that's what brought it out) Sad
Anyway,what do they think I do at home- watch tv while a maid comes in ?! I can't freakin' believe how stupid some people are!
I also babysit my grandson, do the yardwork (3 acres of it), favors for friends in need, etc, because my husband works 5 day/12 hr. shifts: NOT because I "don't work", but because his employer demands it; so I try to pick up the slack at home.
WHEW. That felt good to get off my chest.
I know- I'm gonna print this tirade on a shirt; since I have nothing better to do Cheesy Grin Angry
Roll Eyes

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Thoughtless remarks...
Reply #1 - 10/15/12 at 13:52:54

"Anyway,what do they think I do at home- watch tv while a maid comes in ?!"

WHAT??? This is BAD????  Cheesy  Hehe. Not to say that describes me...well maybe it does....LOL

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #2 - 10/16/12 at 05:04:06

You can just solve this issue by saying you work at home!  It really is none of their business anyway!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 10/17/12 at 06:09:29

Oh Pam;
I just saw this- Perfect ! Cheesy
Now, I'm gonna get after the maid- she's been on the computer too long... Wink Wink

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 10/17/12 at 06:50:22

When I was first ill and had to quit work (cancer and undiagnosed SM), I went to a fundraiser.  Three different times work came up in conversation with people I didn't know.  When I said I didn't have a job outside my home, they walked away as though I'd said I had a highly contagious disease.

It seemed like staying home with my kids negated everything else I'd ever done in my life, and I couldn't possibly have anything interesting to say.  After that I would usually say that I was retired, but I used to do.....!

A few times people would ask, condescendingly, "What do you do every day?"  I'd say, "I wake up in the morning and think, "What do I want to do today?  Then I do that."  Of course, the truth most days was (pre-diagnosis), I'd wake up, take my meds, drag myself through getting my kids off to school and then choose between going back to bed or running errands!

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 11/24/12 at 02:49:06

Honestly, I think itīs about time we get some SELF RESPECT going with us!!   I think that the reply, IF ANY, you should give when asked this question is:

OH, IīM INDEPENDENTLY WEALTHY!!   I DONīT NEED TO WORK!!   WHAT DO YOU DO, HMMMMMMMMM???!!!!!!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 11/27/12 at 05:44:44

Lisa;
You crack me up !!! Grin
I like all of the answers but yours made me think: If someone has the nerve to ask this question, then I should have the nerve to say that !
Cheesy Grin Cheesy
lori

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print