Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reaction to Adcal-D3 - Advice needed about ingredients (Read 10007 times)
TallBird
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reaction to Adcal-D3 - Advice needed about ingredients
10/10/12 at 20:03:53

Hi Everyone

In the last couple of days I have started to take prescribed Adcal-D3 combined calcium and vitamin D twice daily due to being deficient in vitamin D.  Each time I have taken it I have had a reaction  Cry and wondered whether one or more of the ingredients is triggering mast cell degranulation.  Needless to say I have stopped taking it.  Can anyone please advise whether any of the following ingredients are known mast cell degranulators?

Ingredients:1500mg calcium carbonate, 400 iu vitamin D3, xylitol (E967), modified maize starch, sodium saccharin (E954), magnesium stearate, tutti-frutti flavouring (yummy taste!), propylene glycol (E1520), DL alpha-tocopherol, edible fats including soya oil, gelatin, sucrose and corn starch.

Thanks

TallBird

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Re: Reaction to Adcal-D3 - Advice needed about ingredients
Reply #1 - 10/12/12 at 14:35:42

Hi Tallbird,
I don't know if you are salicylate sensitive but the things in here that would cause me problems are:

maize starch- corn product maybe a problem- sals
sodium saccharin -artificial sweetener- sals
tutti-frutti flavouring -artificial flavoring-sals
soya oil-soy -high in sals
gelatin-high in sals, and sulphites
Not sure about the xylitol (E967)
I am able to take a vitamin D tablet, it is called Thera-D  I order them through the mail from Theralogix
Hope this help some.
Pam  Smiley

Pam

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #2 - 10/12/12 at 14:39:39

Pam

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 10/12/12 at 14:58:26

I got an anaphalactic like reaction from xylitol in tic tacs.

IP Logged

TallBird
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 10/13/12 at 09:09:18

Pam,
Being new to all of this I really don't know whether I am salicylate sensitive, I'll have to read up on it and start monitoring salicylate rich foods.  Cheesy   The article on propylene glycol sounds a bit ominous!

Prior to being on Adcal-D3 I was taking Dekristol (Vitamin D supplement) for 12 weeks and tolerated this well.

Take care and thanks again

TallBird

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #5 - 10/13/12 at 09:24:09

Tallbird,
Just wanted to give you a good link to look up salicylates!  You can look under food guide on the link.  Salicylates are also in many products we use every day.  Happy reading!  Smiley
Let me know if you have any questions!

http://salicylatesensitivity.com/forum/

Pam

Pam

IP Logged

TallBird
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 10/13/12 at 09:41:56

How bizarre Pam we must be on the same wavelength as I have just been looking at the same website you posted about and was about to post the same message to say how good it is.  Lots of useful info. on it about foods and chemical products containing salicylates.  Of course I had forgotten that Aspirin is a salicylate and it always makes my mast cells degranulate Cheesy  Also my partner's deodorant always makes me feel very unwell as does fabric softener.  

TallBird

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #7 - 10/13/12 at 10:56:37

Tallbird,
Sounds like you maybe on to something!  It took me over a year to find out I was salicylate sensitive! Undecided  I have changed all the products in our household, and all of our personal products as these were setting me off daily.  I have not found a suitable toothpaste, I have used baking soda for a year now, but the dentist warned me it would rub my enamal away!! Embarrassed
I use Johnson's baby head to toe cleaner as soap and shampoo.  I have found a few deodorants that don't have fragrance.  It is really amazing how many things salicylates are in.  I do miss some of the foods that I have given up, strawberries, grapes and tangerines!  yum!  Makes eating a balance meal really hard!
Glad you found useful info!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #8 - 10/13/12 at 18:35:55

Tallbird,
Saccharin is a known degranulator, as is aspartame.  PEG is an alcohol and alcohols are known degranulators.  There are many ingredients in this product that contains potential allergens, such as corn, beef and pork: corn starch, mag stearate (primary source is likely beef unless stated as vegetarian, then it is likely from corn), gelatin (likely beef or pork) sucrose (likely corn).  And anything with artificial flavoring or colring is likely to be a degranulator.  

Best wishes sorting it all out.  
Lyn

IP Logged

TallBird
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 10/14/12 at 21:09:04

Doozlygirl,  

Thanks for the info.  Given I have reacted to aspirin, deodorants and fabric softener recently I think I will give this one a miss and see if I can get a replacement.  

The learning curve with this illness is doing loop the loop at the moment... Cheesy

All the best

TallBird

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print