Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plastics (Read 4873 times)
Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Plastics
09/21/12 at 09:13:17

React to many plastics especially new ones and medical ones. To the point that I can't use an oxygen tubing or mask even with weeks of airing out and multiple washes.  Realized that this is a big component of the "hospital smell" that I react to.

Looking into PVC free and silicone varieties to see if one is worse than others as I'm planning surgery. Looked into glass IV bottles but they have been discontinued here.  Trying to get samples of the different plastic types from suppliers to try but they are reluctant to send to patients.

Also allergic to Latex.

Wanted to post here in case anyone else has run into similar issues.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Plastics
Reply #1 - 09/21/12 at 17:43:42

You do have a lot of things to work around!  I had no idea how hard that would be.  I wonder if there's a hypo-allergenic medical supply company somewhere!  If not, there should be!  I hope you can get all the obstacles moved so you feel safe going into surgery.

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Plastics
Reply #2 - 09/22/12 at 10:28:58

Thanks Joan

So far I've found I react the most to soft plastics and not as bad to a harder plastic of the same material. Making me wonder if it's a chemical used to soften or plasticize that is my issue

If I can sort out which chemical it is it will be easier to make an attempt to avoid it

We shall see...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print