Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Applying for disability (Read 11854 times)
EDSLaura
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Applying for disability
09/18/12 at 13:21:50

Hi, I have been on short term disability for about 6 months in 2011 and approximately 8 months so far in 2012.  Originally my reason for   disability was Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (hypermobility type), fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and depression.  I was diagnosed with Mast Cell Activation this year by Dr. Afrin, and will soon need to apply for long term disability.  

My first question is what is the difference between SSI and SSD.  Also, since I have mast cell activation, which IDC code would be used - the same as mastocytosis?  

I just read over some of the posts about disability, but would love some support and guidance about this whole process.  I plan to file on my own and then get a lawyer if needed.  I have most of my medical documentation in order since for short term disability I always had to prove this to Sedwick (which is a third party for my employers disability program).    

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Applying for disability
Reply #1 - 09/18/12 at 15:49:21

Here's how the government defines those:

The Social Security and Supplemental Security Income disability programs are the largest of several Federal programs that provide assistance to people with disabilities. While these two programs are different in many ways, both are administered by the Social Security Administration and only individuals who have a disability and meet medical criteria may qualify for benefits under either program.

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSD) pays benefits to you and certain members of your family if you are "insured," meaning that you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) pays benefits based on financial need.

If you go to this government website, all is explained:  

[url]http://www.ssa.gov/disability//url]

I don't know how they coordinate with any disability insurance you have through your work, but it might be on the SSA website.

I also don't know what IDC code should be used, as I was undiagnosed, although really sick, when I was approved.  I had to go all the way through appeals to the Administrative Judge hearing, but it was worth it.

In case you don't know, attorney fees are set by law for filing someone's disability claim, regardless of how much time and how many appeals it takes.  The fees are taken out of back disability pay.  Back pay is accrued from the date of application, if you're eventually approved.  Most people are turned down on the first try, but some do get it without an attorney.

Joan

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #2 - 10/02/12 at 07:39:32

Hi Laura!
From my point of view, ANYONE can get SSI, you dont have to work even 1 day in your life for it and its about 700$ monthly.
For SSD, you have to have worked in the last so many years and it can be about double the amount that you would get on SSI----because you paid into it while working and now you are claiming the benfits of it. (like insurance).

IF you qualify for it, you can get SSI in 4 months. If you qualify for SSD, it kicks in after 6 months. EXAMPLE: I got SSI in 4 months--then 2 months later they sent me a letter that said I would not get SSI anymore, I would now get SSD, understand?? My money per month went up, because I am a nurse and had worked many years. (except for the last 3 because I was so ill--but if you can show that lack of, is because of your illness, it wont count against you) the date of your diagnosis is the date they use to determine dfisability and pay back to that date--up to 2 years only.

Also know that you must be denied a first time to use a lawyer (the second time). IF you need one, go for Barry in Atlanta, he specializes in Masto cases, he will fly to YOU and the word is he has never lost a case. Try the first time yourself, if you have your own paperwork and do it right, you shouldnt need a lawyer--so sign NO paperwork unless you lose the 1st time.
Hope this helps
Ramona

PS the set of paperwork for SSI and SSD is the same, so fill out one set and it enters you as application for both.

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #3 - 12/02/12 at 09:05:14

Hi,
I think the speed of all of this depends on what state you are in.  I live in Indiana and applied over a year ago.  I have been denied 2 times and I am waiting on a hearing.  I recieve a letter a few weeks ago indicating my hearing would be done over a telecom system, the judge is in another state.  Strange.  I acquired an attorney in Feb/March 2012 at that time I was told it would take up to a year to get to court.  So I am waiting patiently and I am very thankful my husband has an income.  This has made us very tight financially, but I am just physically unable to work.

Pam

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 01/21/13 at 06:46:57

Hi Pam!
Im sorry its taking so long to resolve for you. I was my only income , I think that may have been part of the reason why it went so quickly for me. You being married, your hubbys income does count for you (sucks but its true). I hope this will all be over soon and go in your favor!! Smiley
hugs!
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print