Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Organic dried fruit (Read 6890 times)
kcpatrick
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Organic dried fruit
09/17/12 at 10:42:17

Has anyone tried organic dried fruit and handled it ok? The kind that is just baked apples without preservatives or anything? Or would it be better to just do this at home? Trying to figure out a way to get my vitamins without having things get too ripe/mushy. Also what are some examples of fruits that you guys do ok with?

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Re: Organic dried fruit
Reply #1 - 09/17/12 at 11:21:42

I believe the act of drying the fruit can cause problems, I'm not positive but I believe it can create sulphites, maybe some histamines.  I say that because all dried fruit is on my no list!? The only fruits that I can eat are fresh/canned pears and granny smith and golden delish. apples.  I am very sensitives to salicylates and histamines.  I just recently ate a johnathan apple and did okay.(flushed a little)
Anyone know about drying fruit??

Pam

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 09/17/12 at 16:07:01

Pam is right, sulfites are in dried fruit.  I've been reading about sulfur dioxide, which is on the sulfite list, used to dry fruit.  I don't think organic would change this, but there different more expensive drying method.  Look for sulfite free dried fruit or dry it yourself if you are looking for sulfite free.

Sulfites are known degranulators.    

Lyn

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 09/17/12 at 17:00:14

Commercially dried fruit can be a trigger due to high levels of mold and/or bacteria, especially if it doesn't have any preservatives in it, like sulfites. Preservatives (usually sulfite based) can be a big trigger, too.  Sulfites are added to fruit that's going to be dried to preserve color.  Otherwise it turns brown.

I just bought a Nesco food dryer, and I'll see how it goes.  They suggest keeping home-dried fruit in an airtight container or plastic bag in a freezer.  They also have guidelines for safely drying fruit, such as disinfecting equipment, peeling and removing any dark spots, etc. that should minimize contamination.  

Dried fruit has less vitamin C than fresh, most of the time, because it's lost in the drying process, but putting the fruit in a solution containing vitamin C or citrus juice prior to drying will increase the amount.  There are instructions for all this on a number of websites.

I'm going to try to dry some vegetables, too.  I thought if I could have a dried vegetable and herb mix to use for soups, it would make cooking from scratch easier.  I also want dried fruit to take on hikes and to use in baking.

I can eat almost any peeled fruit, as long as it's not over-ripe, but I know a lot of other people have trouble with some.

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #4 - 09/18/12 at 08:44:00

I've tolerated homemade dried mango, banana, blueberry in the oven and they were fine for me.

I've tried two types of packaged dried mango where I emailed the companies to figure out their processes etc. they were ok a couple times, but once gave me flushing and PVCs so I've avoided it.

I was ok with homemade raisins for awhile but then was getting PVCs so stopped.

We are each very different though. Let us know what works for you.

IP Logged

Daffodil
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/18/12 at 23:38:43

Hi

So far I am fine with apples, grapes, blueberries, cherries and bananas.  Melon and lemon juice are supposed to be ok for us but I have not tried them yet.

Anne

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/18/12 at 07:39:04

You could try freeze-dried fruits and veggies.  I get them at the natural food store, but they do have a sort of weird flavor because of the freeze drying.  I also don't know how well the vitamins are preserved.

As for which fruits might be good to try, I've found stone fruits such as plums and peaches to be okay, and apples.  I also seem to be able to eat citrus, but I like to get them fresh - they keep a pretty long time.

You can also get fruits in little containers of water or fruit juice in the refrigerated produce section of the supermarket.  Some are preserved with sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate, others with just citric acid.  I would stick with the ones with just citric acid.  They are a bit expensive and wasteful, but its nice to know that you've got fruit in the fridge, in good shape, whenever you want it.

IP Logged

vicmjones
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 10/21/12 at 07:34:56

I can eat limited amounts of apples, bananas, pears and blueberries. I agree dried fruit has sulfites.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #8 - 10/22/12 at 07:58:06

If mold is a trigger, home-dried fruit, dried as quickly as possible, is the safest.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print