Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just Back from Dr. Afrin appointment (Read 7471 times)
Islander
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Just Back from Dr. Afrin appointment
09/17/12 at 09:10:04

Saw Dr.Afrin on the 5th.  Travelled all the way from Vancouver Island Canada to S.C. and it was worth every minute of travel struggle and fatigue.  He is such a compassionate doctor and dedicated to helping those with MCAS.

I stayed at the Hampton in the Historic District.  Great area and so convenient for those from out of town.  There are 3 free Trolley's right in front of the hotel..They will take you just about anywhere you would want to go including Hollings..You can get on and off all day if you want.  I found the heat and humidity a problem so didn't go around to much except for the Market and Aquarium.

The folks at Hollings were great.  Apparently, in the next while Dr.A is moving to a different section a few blocks away and he won't be taking Holly his nurse.  He is quite upset re this.(I recall this being said before)  A word of advice....I sent him lots of consults and a typed history via email before he agreed to see me.  He read them all when he replied.  I also took a typed journal summary to the appointment.  Apparently, he doesn't keep any of the files you send him due to amount he receives and he didn't want to read the summary I brought either..Wanted it verbally from the beginning! I hadn't brought lists of my physicians thinking he had all the info...So, just know if it's a first time visit...be prepared to remember your life history and Doctors.  i was pretty foggy and it took along time.  I know I forgot many things.

I packed a foldable cooler for the 24hr urine. (thanks for the heads up) and got it there so fast by Trolley it was still full of ice!  There were a total of 23 tests done.  I have 15 back so far.  For those who have to self pay...the deposit was $50.00.  The estimate for the total bill is around $4500..If I get a diagnosis and treatment plan it's well worth every penny. He is also doing a research project to try and identify a diagnostic marker for MCAS and will ask for an extra 2 tubes of blood.  

After the difficulty I've had with Doctors here and their lack of empathy and desire to look out of the box it was amazing to be seen by him.  I felt much better knowing I had taken back the control of my health. Smiley

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Re: Just Back from Dr. Afrin appointment
Reply #1 - 09/17/12 at 11:17:16

So glad you had a good experience.  Also good to know what the total cost is for those who have to pay out of pocket, as others have asked that question and I had no idea because mine was all covered by my insurance.  I think everyone has to do the recitation of their history, as he asks about things and pulls things out of you that you didn't realize were relevant.  I always take a medical history with me to all new doctors (which helped me keep some things straight), but even that wasn't enough detail for him!

Sorry to hear about Holli, though when I called her last week she was still supporting him.  I imagine it will be tough to get a new nurse up to speed since what he does, especially as to MCAS, is so specialized.

I do hope you'll get useful results from your tests.

IP Logged

Islander
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 09/24/12 at 07:33:01

I just wanted to add re:above stated cost....

I just called MUSC to see when the bill would be out..Full price is $4409.00 but as a "self pay" it's 50% off so $2204.50 and the consult is $332.00.. Smiley

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #3 - 09/24/12 at 14:14:53

Islander,

I saw Dr. Afrin a week before you.  He did not seem pleased that he would be at a new location (closer to the airport) on Mondays.  He will still be at the Hollings Cancer Center on Fridays.  Holli will not be his nurse but she assured me that the new nurse would catch on quickly.

I'm supposed to be experimenting with benzodiazepines right now, but unfortunately, I'm not.  Instead, I've agreed to go off all antihistamines for allergy skin testing to be done tomorrow by an allergist.  I do not recommend this.  Just saying.  I got this strange notion in my head that maybe the allergist could easily identify foods with which I'm reacting so that I would not have to do an elimination diet.  I'm not happy that I chose this route of "upsetting the applecart" and getting off all meds.

Anyhow, I felt really good that I had seen Dr. Afrin as well.  It was so validating to think that someone believed me, and realized all the medical issues I've been dealing with have an explanation.  I've had many years of being told nothing was wrong with me, so I learned to "stuff it", keep quiet and suffer.

I'm nowhere near where I want to be healthwise, but I have more hope than before.

Congratulations on your initiative in gaining control of your health.  May you have many good days ahead.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #4 - 09/24/12 at 18:19:17

Thanks for posting Islander!! so glad it was a success.

Hope you feel better soon futurehope

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print