Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ibuprofen - NEVER AGAIN!! (Read 10186 times)
TallBird
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Ibuprofen - NEVER AGAIN!!
09/07/12 at 22:25:36

Yesterday I started with a headache that became worse as the day progressed - the only painkillers I had in the house was Ibuprofen.  I made a fatal mistake taking these because I triggered my mast cells to degranulate and made everything ten times worse culminating in a one-sided headache that was horrendous, flu-like feeling with sore throat and full ears (if that makes sense!), breathing problems, central chest pain and pain on inhalation, nausea, racing heart, blood pressure up and down etc. I went to bed at teatime but could not sleep due to the headache and chest pain.  Whilst I feel somewhat better today I still have a mild headache and I feel fragile as if it would not take much to make me 'crash' again.  It has been very humid here recently so I don't know whether this is the cause of this headache?.  One of my triggers is heat.  Being new to all of this, I researched drugs that can cause degranulation and I'm now aware that Ibuprofen is an NSAID medication that can trigger degranulation.   Cry

The learning curve for this illness does loop the loop at times.  Cheesy  Needless to say I won't be trying that drug again - I wouldn't mind but it didn't help to alleviate the headache anyway!   On a good note I am starting Ketotifen on top of my allegra next week so this may help stabilise me hopefully ...  Does anyone know what painkillers are safe to use for headaches?

Have a good day!

TallBird

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Ibuprofen - NEVER AGAIN!!
Reply #1 - 09/08/12 at 03:24:49

Since you're now avoiding NSAIDs (smart move for most people with mast cell disorders), the only safe OTC medication is Tylenol.  For worse pain, I have a prescription for Ultram.  

Incidentally... I've found that I can get most headaches to go away with a couple of Tylenol and a cup of coffee.  Degranulation causes your blood vessels to dilate, but caffeine tightens them back up.  If hot liquids are a no-no for you, try an iced coffee or maybe even a caffeine tablet.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Daffodil
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/08/12 at 05:10:40

Hi Tallbird

I think Paracetamol which is the same as Tylenol is fine for us to take.  But when you first try anything new it is best to start with a tiny amount first just to be on the safe side.

Hope that helps.

Anne

IP Logged

TallBird
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 09/08/12 at 05:49:13

Thanks Heather & Anne for replying - unfortunately paracetamol which I can tolerate is not strong enough to manage the headaches or pain in my arms and legs so I need something stronger  Tongue, hence why I thought I would take ibuprofen.  I will have to look into Tylenol as I have not heard of this drug before.

Best wishes

TallBird

IP Logged

Daffodil
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/08/12 at 05:57:17

Sometimes taking more H1 & H2 blockers helps me when I have aches and pains but you would have to make sure it is ok with your doctor.

Best wishes

Anne

IP Logged

TallBird
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 09/08/12 at 06:11:43

Hi Daffodil, I'm already taking 4 allegra and 2 ranitidine daily and about to start Ketotifen so I don't think there is probably much more I can add.

TallBird

IP Logged

Daffodil
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/08/12 at 06:31:31

Nalcrom is another med that helps us but having said that I reacted to it on the second day.  Apparantly Dr. Grattan likes his patients to start on Ketotifen first and then add Nalcrom in order to tolerate it.  I am hoping to start taking Ketotifen later this month and if I am ok with it will reintroduce Nalcrom.  Let us know how you get on with it - I am sure you will be fine.

Best wishes
Anne

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #7 - 09/08/12 at 11:59:33

Tylenol (generic = acetominophen) is the same thing as paracetamol.  Ultram (tramadol) is much stronger.  It's a synthetic opioid, but one that seems to be safe for a lot of mast cell patients.  In the US you can only get it with a prescription.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #8 - 09/08/12 at 17:15:11

Some people get some relief from taking Singulair, too.  It's a leukotriene inhibitor.

I find that gentle yoga stretching helps muscle and connective tissue pain.    When I'm in a flare, I ask for a massage that will only relax muscles, no deep tissue work.  If you're too sensitive for that, a private session with an experienced yoga teach can give you some gentle, easy stretches that might help.  I've found help in physical therapy, too.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print