Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
MTHFR defect? undermethylation associated with not clearing histamine (Read 32397 times)
Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Re: MTHFR defect? undermethylation associated with not clearing histamine
Reply #30 - 09/27/12 at 17:34:19

Hi Joan,
The raw data in 23andMe means very little as it is just a bunch of numbers and letters on a page, at least until the data is plugged into various software programs and massaged into information that can extracted into meaningful data.  

I've only had my 23andMe results for 48 hours, but have already found a bunch of critical defects that explain a bunch of my reactions and  symptoms triggered by various medications, chemicals, preservatives, and additives.    

I am looking for someone in my state with the expertise to help me overcome various SNPs severely impacting in my body's ability to process these medications, chemicals and hormones.  As I have reached out to various  natural health/alternative medicine practitioners, I was advised to find a ND graduate of one of these universities:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accredited_schools_of_naturopathic_medicine...

I was told that while there are other programs out there, these programs require the same level/exceed the level of basic science training as traditional medical schools.  Since I live in a state that does not license NDs, ie doesn't recognize them at all, so we have folks who tout themselves as holistic minded practitioners/physicians, but they may not have the advanced biochemistry expertise I am seeking.  

Lyn

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #31 - 09/27/12 at 20:03:16

Thanks for the link!

Joan

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #32 - 09/28/12 at 00:39:26

What is an SNP?

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #33 - 10/01/12 at 12:18:02

If you have your data back from 23andME and are tring to figure out if you have any of the methylation or other detoxification gene defects, this link should help you sort it all out.  

Dana from DINET put this all together.  It is a great resource! http://danachronicallyliving.blogspot.com/2012/05/determining-your-yasko-methyla...

Futurehope, a SNP stands for a single nucleotide polymorphism, used to describe errors/defects in a gene.  The SNPs tell you where your gene defects are located and can give an idea why one reacts to various substances.  I don't do well with sulfites and now I know I can't process sulfites likely due to defects in the genes that make the enzymes and molecules to break down sulfites into the harmless sulfate molecule that can be excreted out of the body.  

Undermethylation is tied to the body being unable to break down histamine.  This is why several of us are looking into this as a potential cause of some our symptoms.    

Lyn  

IP Logged

Julie T
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #34 - 10/03/12 at 17:43:09

I found this on dr amy yasko's site: "Lack of BH4 may result in mast cell degranulation and lead to higher histamine levels, which can produce symptoms such as red ears and other hypersensitivity reactions. Serotonin synthesis as well as ammonia detoxification also require BH4. Elevated ammonia levels can cause flapping and other over-stimulatory behaviors."  

She deals with methylation cycle generally in autistic community but also in neuroimmune patients.  Here is the link: http://www.dramyyasko.com/resources/autism-pathways-to-recovery/chapter-6/

warning very complicated stuff.  what is interesting is that my daughter fits into cbs mutation perfectly:  fight or flight, brain fog, excitability, trouble with sulfites.  

just thought i would share if any one is interested.

still waiting on 23andme results

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #35 - 12/30/12 at 06:47:50

This Topic was moved here from General Mast Cell Disorder Discussion by DeborahW, Founder.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print