Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New trial in US of Ketotifen for Fibromyalgia "shows promise" (Read 8921 times)
larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

New trial in US of Ketotifen for Fibromyalgia "shows promise"
08/24/12 at 11:57:46

See article http://phoenixrising.me/archives/13083.  

Impressively, the article provides lots of background info on mast cells.  

Also touches on POTS, exercise-induced anaphylaxis, Chronic Fatigue, Dr Theo at Tufts.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: New trial in US of Ketotifen for Fibromyalgia "shows promise"
Reply #1 - 08/24/12 at 13:09:10

This is GREAT... not just for people who suffer from fibromyalgia.  Maybe the FDA will finally get around to approving a drug that's available in practically every other country on earth. Smiley

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

NMLiz
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 08/24/12 at 19:11:43

Excellent article--thanks!

Both my partner and I have fibromyalgia and CFS/ME, and now she has also come down with SM, so it's interesting that they may be related.

IP Logged

larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 08/25/12 at 00:38:17

Yes, it is good!  Finally, Ketotifen and greater attention to mast cell activation!   I had been diagnosed (or misdiagnosed) at various times with FMS and CFS.  I also had terrible interstitial cystitis for a couple of years when I was very young (like, age 8 - 10) and still have symptoms every once in a while.  Now I believe I finally have a correct diagnosis of MCAD, but it seems to me that they are all related somehow through mast cell activation.  

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #4 - 08/25/12 at 01:01:29

Yes, these are related.  Dr. Ignacio Blanco of Spain is the doctor responsible for finding morphologically changed MCs in Fibromyalgia patients.  This finding totally rocked the masto world because up until this time NO OTHER known disorder caused the MCs to change their shapes.  So, this raised the question, are there other disorders which can do this, or is Fibromyalgia part of a MC disorder????!!!!! Shocked    Dr. Escribano is one of the very first to recommend Ketotifen to his patients with fibromyalgia!   He sees the connection and slowly others are agreeing.

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 08/25/12 at 13:19:25

So exciting! I am just diving into all the possibilities and I'm already excited! Lol there is a post on the urticaria society forum on how to actually get Ketiotifen! When I was reading the article, doxepin came up and got me wondering again, is this a good drug for mast cell disease? Does it work differently than the other antihistamines because is breaks the blood/brain barrier? Just wondering, while I'm already on a wonderful cocktail of antidepressant (lol) I'm thinking, why haven't I been on this one??? Two birds with one stone! Cheesy

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 08/25/12 at 18:03:01

Doxepin is a good medicine for mast cell patients to try.  It blocks both H1 and H2 histamine as well as being a tricyclic antidepressant.  It can cause drowsiness, so it's important to learn how it affects you before driving or operating machinery.  I started out taking it at night, and it was great for sleep, too!  
« Last Edit: 08/26/12 at 07:11:26 by Joan »  

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print