Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Normal trypas (Read 3811 times)
Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Normal trypas
08/22/12 at 08:14:24

Hello all! Hope everyone is feeling well today Cheesy I have a question. I was going over my lab work from two years ago with the autoimmune urticaria diagnosis. It looks like my trypas levels were normal on the test ( teu weren't flagged). Does this mean that masto is out of the question for me? Could you have normal trypas but still be diagnosed positive with a bone marrow test?

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Normal trypas
Reply #1 - 08/22/12 at 09:49:11

Yes, you can have normal tryptase and still have a positive BMB. Of course, don't forget that MCAD is the diagnosis for those with normal tryptase and negative BMB but who have the symptoms and respond well to the typical mast cell meds.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #2 - 08/22/12 at 10:08:42

I was in a similar situation (normal tryptase with symptoms). They excluded other diseases and also ran heparin, PGD2, and urine N methylhistamine (there are others depending on which MCAS doc you see) looking for other mediator elevation that can help make the diagnosis of MCAS. With symptoms and response to meds we fulfill 2 of the currently proposed criteria for MCAS, ideally they like to have 3, but some of the experts still give it as a diagnosis with just 2 given how hard it can be to catch elevated mediators.

A few months ago when all of this was happening, the MCAS experts advised not having a BMB to me due to he low (albeit possible) likelihood of it being positive not warranting the risk of the procedure with my normal tryptase. Also because I was left with the differential diagnosis of MCAS vs slight possibility of indolent systemic masto for which the treatment is currently the same, they wanted to get me on a treatment that helped.  Some patients are adamant that they want to know which they are and ask to proceed with the BMB. It's a completely individual decision, but the MCAS docs advising me were so confident that it was easy to go with their recommendations.

This area is continually evolving and very subjective physician to physician, so ideally seeing and MCAS doc if you can would be the best move.  They will look at your individual situation and advise what is best.

If there's anything else you want to know about my experience that would help you just ask.

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 08/22/12 at 13:35:49

I'm confused?  Cheesy Did they think that you could have some kind of a reaction to the bone marrow test???
So through my googling I found an article on Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Disorder by a Dr. Gunnar Heuser (he's a neurologist) in the LA area. There is a whole part on people with mast cell disease having these sensitivities. He actually talks about people coming in to see him with sensitivities and testing them finding that they had a mast cell disorder that they didn't even know about! Because I'm on a mission to find help, to find a doctor to help guide me through this, I called and left him a message telling him that I was diagnosed autoimmune urticaria, but strongly suspect mastocytosis. Unfortunately I missed his call, but he told me to call him back tonight between 8-10! I'm pretty excited! Kinda nervous! If anybody gets the chance to look up this article, I'd love to hear what you think and if I may be moving on the right direction!  Kiss

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #4 - 08/22/12 at 18:51:58

Good luck with your call! I don't know anything about that doc maybe others do. Let us know what he says.

With any procedure there are risks, yes the common ones infection, bleeding, pain, drug reactions and for us other reactions, anaphylaxis, symptom flares.  So procedures should only be done when its outcome will result in a theoretic benefit to the patient. That being said if you end up needing one there are ways to make them as safe as possible.

IP Logged

frugalmama
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 08/22/12 at 19:53:34

I just found out last month that I have systemic masto, confirmed via bone marrow biopsy.  I had one tryptase level recorded at 13, and the others at 11 (our lab considers up to 12 to be normal).  As ana said, lots of masto folks react to anasthetics, so they were extra careful with me.  I was premedicated with both prednisone and benadryl by IV, and they had 2 nurses, the hemotologist, her resident and the lab tech all in the room.  

Good luck figuring this out - sounds like this doctor is a good one to talk with!

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 09/06/12 at 05:58:42

So I got my tryptase (sp?) results back this morning. They were normal 6.5 with a normal range being .4-10. What does this mean? Does this rule out MCAS or masto?? Still waiting on the c kit results. I probably won't get those until next week. I was just looking back, and Deborah wrote that I could have a normal tryptase. But mentioned something about a BMB? What is that? If I am going to try to get into BWH or Dr. Afrin, do I have to have an elevated tryptase?

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #7 - 09/06/12 at 07:42:09

Brigitte I would try to see an MCAS doc if you can

With a normal tryptase many would forego the BMB and treat you to see how you do. Some might want to do it for completeness.

You could still have a low chance of indolent SM (like is the case with frugalmamma), and you definitely could still have MCAS.

Not a reason to not look into better treatment.

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 09/06/12 at 07:56:07

Ok! I will charge ahead! What is a BMB?  Wink

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #9 - 09/06/12 at 08:26:08

BMB is bone marrow biopsy...they take a sample of bone marrow from your hip to look for a large number of mast cells there.  This is a conformation test for mastocytosis.  However with the treatment being the same as MCAD, some choose not to have it done and just take the treatment. (like myself)

Pam

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 09/06/12 at 15:33:49

With a tryptase of 6.5 (mine is 6) and a diagnosis of chronic urticaria.....this is your mast cell disease diagnosis.  It is considered secondary mast cell disease.  

You have to have Dr. Castells review your bloodwork and she will let you know if she wishes to see you.  

IP Logged

Britt
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 09/06/12 at 15:45:23

Thanks! Are you autoimmune urticaria too?? Do you know if Dr. Castells sees people with AU? I guess I'm just confused by my symptoms. They seem to be the same ad MCAS or masto. I suppose my burning question is this, are AU symptoms similar to MCAS and mastocytosis? My symptoms are very episodic, especially after I come across some kind of frangrance. I get very sick and have "panic attack" like symptoms. These symptoms can last for days.  Does anyone else out there with a diagnosis of AU have these kind of symptoms too???

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print