Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cognitive problems and MCAD (Read 3120 times)
gd0001
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Cognitive problems and MCAD
08/15/12 at 14:25:00

I am being treated for MCAD and am responding to gastrocrom, benadryl, and presdnisone.
But i still have alot of cognitive problems which are my worst symptom.

How have your cognitive issues improved after treatment?

Its like a rollercoaster for me. I have alot of ups and downs throughout the day with it. I have a tough time holding normal conversations. I cant pay attention or focus on what people are saying to me.

I think i may need more gastrocrom or another round of prednisone for mine.

Thanks

IP Logged

FarmerJane
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Cognitive problems and MCAD
Reply #1 - 08/16/12 at 02:47:40

My immunologist put me on 325 mg of coated aspirin 2x a day.  I don't have reactions to aspirin products so its safe for me.  It really works well.  I can surely tell if I forget to take it.  Has to do with the prostogladins I believe.

IP Logged

larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 08/16/12 at 12:47:58

I also have MCAD with a lot of cognitive problems.  Sodium cromolyn (Gastrocrom) has helped, but by far the biggest factor is eliminating my triggers.  If I am super careful, I generally feel pretty good.  But, I am really sensitive to triggers, so even a small amount can affect my mood and concentration.  I feel as if the sodium cromolyn has helped to "level" my overall cognitive function and allowed me to focus on work more easily.  

While we are all different, the worst cognitive-related triggers for me are exercise, caffeine, chocolate (terrible!), dairy, salicylates and gluten.  

I hope you feel better soon!

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #3 - 08/18/12 at 02:41:42

I feel as if I have memory issues. I did some research and vitamin c and mast cells keeps popping up in journal articles online in regard to cognitive problems. The claim is that vitamin c is a histamine blocker. I can't seem to nail down how much they seem to think one should daily take (I have seen from 2000mg to 6000mg). I know that I can take vitamin C with no bad effects, so I'm going to start with 2000 mg today (which is usually what I take when I get sick with a virus) and I'll see why happens after a couple weeks. I'll keep you all posted. Watch for a new thread on this forum by me about vitamin C.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 08/18/12 at 21:09:11

Interesting, Deborah.  Yes, please keep us posted on how you're feeling.  Fingers crossed that it helps!

IP Logged

gd0001
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 08/22/12 at 12:34:24

my recent 7 day trial of prednisone seemed to help.
It took away all of my adrenaline/anxiety type issues.
I've actually never felt more relaxed in my life, then when i was on it. Sleep was good too. Still feel much more relaxed and sleep is better.

My cognitive problems are starting to improve after it, but i still have a ways to go. I think i might have to do it again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print