Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dental fluoride treatments???? (Read 6855 times)
Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Dental fluoride treatments????
08/09/12 at 18:47:31

Can anyone share their experience with dental fluoride treatments?  I will premedicate with antihistamines, but I am considering on getting a script for prednisone.  I have candidiasis, which steroids can flare, but also want to be cautious and safe.  

Thanks,
Lyn

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Dental fluoride treatments????
Reply #1 - 08/09/12 at 20:08:45

Haven't had it since being sick Lyn, but always hated it when well left such a nasty taste....the good thing is you can spit it out at any sign of issues and rinse and spit heavily if necessary. Maybe you could arrange to try a small amount first and see instead of the full load.

I would at least premedicate with antihistamines. The dentist is a hurdle I have yet to face.

Good luck!

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 08/09/12 at 20:49:22

Thanks Ana.  I survived a ultrasound and mammo yesterday, so am building up confidence for the dentist.  It will be my first dental appointment since my crash.  I am expecting to get yelled at by my new dentist.  Similar to the disapproval of the mammographer, who questioned how I could let nearly 3 years pass since my last mammo, espcially since I have PASH.  I told her I was bedridden and house bound for most of it suffering from daily anaphylaxis.  While it lightened her demeanor a bit, she didn't "get" it, even though she was pleasant enough.

Great tip on testing it first.  Will keep you posted on the upcoming dental appointment.  
Lyn

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/10/12 at 05:15:32

My dentist has switched over to this new fluoride treatment that they claim is so much easier for people to tolerate (and it is easier for kids, I'm guessing).  Rather than let your teeth soak in the nasty stuff, they paint it onto your teeth and it dries quickly, and you have to not eat or drink anything hot or hard for some number of hours.

I got amazingly nauseous from this stuff.  It gave off a strong chemical odor that I just couldn't tolerate - it reminded me of model airplane glue.  My husband didn't have any issues with it, but my super-sensitive nose/mouth thought it was horrible and it made me feel awful.  This was a few years ago, and I haven't gotten it since.  I can't go back to the old stuff because they don't even use it any more (it used to turn my stomach as well).  My dentist doesn't have an issue with my not getting the treatment, since my teeth are in good shape otherwise and I use fluoride toothpaste.

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #4 - 08/10/12 at 07:07:29

I skipped mine-the flouride is full of salicylates!!
There is a guy on the salicylate forum that is totally against fluoride! I have read some of his stuff, it is interesting.

Have you evaluated if it is worth the treatment??  I figured it is too risky and opted not to do it.
Good luck!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 08/10/12 at 07:32:48

Thanks Kat and Pam.  This is exactly the information I was looking for! Fugured it was high in sals....  

I may smell it, then tell them I won't tolerate it.  I am seeing a new dentist, so this should be interesting!  

Lyn

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 08/11/12 at 08:03:47

I would ask if the fluoride treatment is necessary if you use fluoride toothpaste and drink fluoridated water and don't have an unusual amount of decay.  Because of the amount of antihistamines we take, our mouths can be drier and, therefore more prone to plaque and cavities.

Joan

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #7 - 08/12/12 at 13:56:11

Pam's is right high salcylates, since I got masto I did first couple of times & I got so nausaous that I couldn't eat for rest of day. So  they now have it on my chart. But the painting the teeth, which my dentist doesn't do might not be so bad& worth considering.
Mikev

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print