Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gluten free, Dairy free, tree nut free, low histamine, FODMAPS, organic diet (Read 14219 times)
CrystalG
Tutor

If you are at peace, you
are living in the present

Maine
Gluten free, Dairy free, tree nut free, low histamine, FODMAPS, organic diet
08/03/12 at 15:20:23

I am currently on a gluten free, dairy free, tree nu free, low histamine, FODMAPS, organic diet. It has been such a struggle to find good recipes. Anyone have ideas?

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Gluten free, Dairy free, tree nut free, low histamine, FODMAPS, organic diet
Reply #1 - 08/03/12 at 17:11:48

I'm doing some of the same plus vegan. have made a few things on my blog and on it there's a link to a website that you can add the ingredients you have and it will give you recipes if you're curious

http://mastcellactivation.blogspot.ca/
« Last Edit: 08/03/12 at 20:15:30 by Anaphylaxing »  

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Gluten free, Dairy free, tree nut free, low histamine, FODMAPS, organic diet
Reply #2 - 08/03/12 at 17:31:58

Make a list of the foods you can eat safely and then pick a few that seem like they go together.  Google them or try searching vegetariantimes.com or foodtv.com or epicurious.com  There are a number of gluten-free websites with recipes.

Joan

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 08/03/12 at 21:48:41

Have you tried websites geared toward families with autistic kids?  A lot of them seem to do better on GF/dairy-free diets... so that could be a good source of recipes for you.

BTW... what is FODMAPS?

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

CrystalG
Tutor

If you are at peace, you

Maine
Reply #4 - 08/04/12 at 01:21:45

Thank you everyone who responded, I will definitely check these websites out. It is so hard to find foods I can eat besides plain organic chicken and salad.

Heather FODMAPS is a diet that they put people with IBS on (I dont have IBS, but they are hoping it might help with some of my intestinal pain). It stands for Fermentable, Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides, and Polyols. It's basically lots of food I cant eat because they have some of these certain carbs in them.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #5 - 08/04/12 at 09:15:19

This is not meant to diminish the limitations, but just in case it helps

the limitations can be so frustrating..when I'm eating plain lettuce for supper  and watching everyone eat tasty food,  CheesyI try to think of all the patients like us who can't eat anything and are on tube feeds and it makes me so thankful for lettuce! Not that I don't still get down!

IP Logged

CrystalG
Tutor

If you are at peace, you

Maine
Reply #6 - 08/05/12 at 04:55:40

I totally understand what you are saying!! I have to bring my own little salad to dinner when the family eats out at olive garden, I used to love italian food. But at the same time, I am thankful there are a few things I can eat, they were talking about putting me on prescription food for a while, but I will take the lettuce and rice over that any day.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #7 - 08/05/12 at 16:49:09

Good attitude!

Oh I used to adore the olive garden! Breadsticks and salad!!!!!!!! YUMMMMMM

drool....ok. Right now I can't go to restaurants because the food smells cause me reactions, but I pray someday I'll be stable enough to and maybe both of us will be stable enough some day to eat a meal there!

YUMMM

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #8 - 08/06/12 at 12:15:12

Anaphylaxing, the last time I went into the Olive Garden, my throat started swelling shut just from the smell, I was practically running out and the waiter was like"if you would rather have a booth I will find you one"  I was like no I have to leave!
I havent been back and don't plan on going anytime soon!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 08/07/12 at 03:42:30

Hi Crystal;
Are you able to grow a small garden ? We are lucky enough tohave a small garden. We use only marigolds  to keep pests away (so no chemicals) & it works. I use olive oil, or grapseed oil with my veggies. I do a lot of  combos for sautees/soups/salads. If you can handle the soup bases -chicken or beef- some are organic, that helps too.
Pam; I know whatcha mean ! Last weekend, hubby n I had lunch at Italia Gardens. I felt good enough to try the ravioli... with tomato sauce DUH Embarrassed I paid for 3 days ! Funny I can eat a bit of fresh tho  Huh Tonite I'm making minestrone; Minus tomatoes  Cheesy

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #10 - 08/07/12 at 06:10:10

Lori,
I wish I knew what part of the tomatoe sets us off!!  I had the ever so evil blt for breakfast, I can do it for breakfast but would never try it for dinner.  I made it myself so the tomatoe was fresh bought it from the farmers market. The bacon was a no no, but I was weak and it looked and tasted so good!  I did okay! little flushed and sleepy, but I figured that would happen so its all good!
I love tomatoes, didn't realize they were a problem...someone had brought the cherry tomatoes to work and I was eating them like candy.  Then I realized I had hives all over the back of my throat, I was like dah  Cheesy  Guess those are not working for me!! Grin
Does anyone know...is the skin worse or the seeds or is just the whole dang thing??!!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #11 - 08/07/12 at 06:21:18

Crystal,
I know the recipe thing is terrible.  I'm dairy free (I'm better now so I can cheat now and then) before meds 6 mo ago, any dairy and I was stuck in the bathroom for long time.  I don't eat any soy-It is like swallowing lightening! I'm on a low histamine and a low salicylate diet.  I have made ground beef in every possible shape!  Seems I am only really safe with beef and chicken, potatoes and green beans.  I have tweeked recipes to suit me.  I make salisberry steak, but I only use safe ingredients. It really isn't too different  from the hamburger, but I litterly shape it into a different shape....looks different, taste different...so it MUST be different! Wink
Good luck, beleive it not you will get to a point were it okay that you had that on Tues, Thurs and Sat! The family on the other hand, they are a whole different story.  
I make up several safe meals and freeze them. When the family wants something I can't eat, I have a really easy meal!

Pam

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #12 - 08/07/12 at 16:30:49

Tomatoes contain histamine.  As a general rule, the riper the tomato, the more histamine.  I can eat a fried green tomato every now and then, but not ripe ones.  The problem with tomato sauce could be histamine, but it  also could be mold.  Tomatoes are fragile and mold easily.  When they are processed, it's easy for some with moldy spots inside to slip by.  Although processing kills the mold, it doesn't destroy the mold antigen which can cause allergic reactions or trigger mast cells.  It takes temperatures above 450 degrees, according to my allergist, to destroy the antigen.

I don't know if there are any varieties that are lower in histamine or not.  I do know that Mexican tomatillos are not related to regular tomatoes and are instead part of the gooseberry family.  I use tomatillos when I want to make Mexican salsa.  Maybe because they're acidic or because they're berries, tomatillos can cause some problems for some people.

Joan

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #13 - 08/08/12 at 07:33:46

Joan, thanks for the cool info!  I have always loved tomatoes and was alway so excited to eat the first one off the plant every summer! I can eat fresh ones now and then, but I do have trouble with the processed ones...makes sense with what you said about the mold...mold is my nymasis!!!  Wow, I wondered why the processed ones gave us all so much trouble!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

CrystalG
Tutor

If you are at peace, you

Maine
Reply #14 - 08/08/12 at 13:09:28

Iamnotalone: I unfortunately do not have the space to have a garden. It is cold up here in Maine most of the year, but maybe I could grow some things inside. That is a great idea since all i basically eat are veggies.

Pam, I totally hear you. I have never been a huge red meat fan, but I have made chicken several different ways. About the low histamine diet though, when you say you freeze things, doesn't that age them so they then contain more histamine? My nutritionist told me no leftovers with the low histamine diet.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print