Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is garlic a problem for others (Read 8816 times)
Guantai
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Is garlic a problem for others
08/01/12 at 12:56:29

Hi

I am wondering whether others have a problem with garlic.  I find that if there is a lot of garlic in something, it makes me feel quite unwell and then I have a horrible 'hangover' the next day.  I am already on a low histamine diet and have little enough to eat as it is  Embarrassed but am wondering whether I should also be avoiding garlic.

Thanks for your input.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Is garlic a problem for others
Reply #1 - 08/01/12 at 14:31:43

I used to be fine with it, but since sick I can't get anywhere near the smell of it or my throat swells. Haven't tried eating it for that reason.

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #2 - 08/02/12 at 09:44:46

Amazingly, I do okay with garlic.  I use the salt and powder not the fresh stuff.

Pam

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #3 - 08/04/12 at 17:42:14

All garlic  (raw, cooked, powder) will put me in the ER. Up until recently even the smell of it would do the same thing. Now the smell just makes my stomach hurt. I have the same problem with onions....

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 08/08/12 at 07:28:35

I am also ok with garlic.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 09/12/12 at 23:37:01

My gastro just gave me yesterday an incredible insight as to garlic -   it contains terebentine -    TERPINTINE!!!!!    This is the same chemical substance which is in some mangos, which Iīve already triggered anaphylaxis to in the past!!!!    He said this is why it causes issues.    He told me that if I were to use the purple garlic, which is much more aromatic in smaller quantities and has less terebentine therefore, I could get a much better result of flavors without so much of the chemical substance within it.  He said that the big white heads of garlic is a chinese garlic and that it takes a great deal more quantity of it to give the flavor and since Brazil is a country where garlic is in everything, this is an important discovery!  I donīt use all that much garlic in my cooking, I cook more American, but when I make the typical black beans and rice, this is essencial to use garlic in the cooking process in order to make it taste authentic.    This is what I was surprised about the other day for I made a great pot of beans and rice and I had a salad to go with it and I was so bloated that it amazed me for rice is not usually a food which Iīve bloated with in the past.  I will do this with starches, mainly those which are of the wheat starch.  He told me that the wheat starch is the major issue especially with people like us so I need to avoid it like the plague, but I told him that I felt I was 9 months pregnant with the staple of beans and rice and he said that the beans, because they are a legume, have a much slower process in being metabolized and that the skin of the bean is often the issue, but rice is not a substance which typically creates issues and he said that this was likely due to the garlic.

So, there you go - even if you are tolerating garlic, it may be what is behind some of your bloating issues.  Tongue

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 09/13/12 at 05:18:06

I love it when one of us can connect some dots!!  Thanks for sharing, Lisa.   Cool

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #7 - 09/13/12 at 08:05:55

Good to know!!

Pam

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 09/21/12 at 07:30:40

Funny;
I do okay with a little fresh garlic, or cooked, but if it's the garlic powder/salt-nope.
Lisa, that's very interesting. I've never seen purple garlic, maybe
the fruit/veg. market can order it...
I also am bloated a lot. I take a water pill for BP, so don't think that's it. Have been eating lots of cabbage tho  Embarrassed
Geez this masto stuff is complicated ! Sad
lori

IP Logged

Guantai
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 09/27/12 at 19:29:27

Thanks everyone for your input.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #10 - 09/27/12 at 19:55:35

Lori,

My allergist told me I could have fresh garlic, but not powdered or with salt, because dried garlic and onion contain a high level of mold.  Don't know if that's a problem for you, but it is for me.

Joan

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 10/08/12 at 08:35:43

Joan;
AHhh- that makes sense !
I use to put powdered/ garlic salt in everything. Now it's only fresh.
I am careful of dried herbs/spices now as a general precaution.
I dried some herbs from my garden, being careful to do it quickly & carefully. Also froze some of the higher /moister ones like chives, & basil.  The dried ones are in mason jars, and I researched methods. They will only be for use this winter Wink just to be safe.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #12 - 10/08/12 at 19:20:58

I do the same, and I dry them in the microwave, because they dry too fast to mold.  But, drying herbs isn't safe in some microwaves.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print