Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fexofenadine 180mg (Allegra) (Read 7163 times)
TallBird
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Fexofenadine 180mg (Allegra)
08/01/12 at 02:18:13

What symptoms will this drug help to reduce please?  

Thanks

Best wishes to you all!   Smiley

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Fexofenadine 180mg (Allegra)
Reply #1 - 08/01/12 at 14:54:24

Allegra is an H1 antihistamine.  The reason most people take H1s is to help with symptoms like hives, watering eyes, and runny nose.  I can't take Allegra (for some reason, it gives me a headache), but I find that H1s in general also help me with nausea, dizziness, and headaches.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

TallBird
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 08/01/12 at 21:36:41

Hello Heather again,  (you kindly replied to my posting about Vibration being a trigger)   Smiley

The reason I ask this question is that I have been prescribed Fexofenadine 180mg twice daily but the consultant has not told me which of my symptoms it is supposed to help.  From what you say I suspect it should help my extremely itchy skin (?), puffy and irritated eyes (watery), congested nose, sneezing and constant flu-like sensation.  

As you can tell I am new to this - my first posting with all of my symptoms is on the 'Introduce yourself' section posted near the top.

Thanks again

TallBird

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #3 - 08/02/12 at 02:04:50

Tallbird:
I have extreme skin sensitivity & pain for 7 years,  I've been on
zrytec & now allegra for 5 years & whatever it did, it didn't help skin issues. Only till I got on a mast cell inhibitor, originally gastrocrom & now ketitofen did I get any reduction in my skin issues. They are still there but better.
MikeV

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/02/12 at 05:06:20

The Allegra (morning) and Zyrtek (evening) have been the best combination I've tried so far to deal with my itchy/prickly/burning skin.  It is further enhanced by the addition of Zantac (an H2 anti-histamine).
It has allowed me to be able to tolerate a shower again!  I still have symptoms, but they're nowhere near as bad as they were.  It should hopefully also help with the watery eyes and runny nose, though I found that, ironically, my watery eyes were caused by issues with my tears ("dry eyes") and I now use Restasis for that.

My impression is that most doctors recommend a combination of H1s and an H2 to get the best result.

IP Logged

TallBird
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 08/02/12 at 07:10:16

MikeV & KatFromMD:

Thanks both for your replies. I have only been prescribed Allegra and don't have any other meds. or H2 blocker, my consultant says he will not do this at this stage as he wants to see how I do on the Allegra.

Like you KatFromMD I suffer terribly after a hot shower or bath, even warm water can make me very itchy.  I feel for you because its just horrible isn't it?  I could scratch myself red raw at times (however I don't).  Looks like I need an H2 blocker but don't think my consultant will give me this or any additional med. just yet.

MikeV: I am sorry to hear about your extreme skin sensitivity & pain - it must be difficult to tolerate. Can I ask what you mean by skin sensitivity please?  Apart from itchy skin the only other sensation in my skin is a burning sensation that I get in a couple of specific areas (face, shoulder and leg).  I don't know what this means.  One of the areas is the site of a scar after local surgery.  Is the mast cell inhibitor the same as a mast cell stabiliser?  Sorry to ask a daft question but I am new to all of this and just trying to understand all the new terminology.

Best wishes to both of you!

TallBird

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #6 - 08/02/12 at 10:18:53

One thought for you about the H2s...

It's smart to add one new drug at a time so you can tell what benefits (if any) you're getting or whether it's causing any negative side effects.  That being said... when is your next appointment with your doctor?  If it's in a couple of weeks, great.  Stick with the plan.  If not, H2s are available over the counter (Pepcid, Zantac) and are extremely safe.  You don't need a prescription to try them.  My local allergist is very conservative about medication.  I had to do a lot of tinkering on my own!  Now that I've found the right mix... and he sees how much my symptoms have improved... he's fine with it.  

My final bit of advice... if you're planning to experiment on your own, make sure you tell your doctor what you're taking at your next visit.  Either she/he will freak out and drop you as a patient (which means s/he probably wasn't right for you anyway) or will be willing to work WITH you a little better to resolve your symptoms.  I know how much things like dizziness, nausea, hives, etc... can ruin your quality of life!!  A good doctor understands when you need relief.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

TallBird
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 08/02/12 at 22:30:59

Hi Heather

Fortunately I seem to be able to tolerate the Allegra - my next appt. with my consultant is not until autumn so I do not think there is any room for me to add any new meds. before then as he said he will review my meds. then.  Seems a long way off to me...

TallBird

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #8 - 08/03/12 at 04:23:43

Tallbird:
Yes it's the burning sensation, but also extreme sensitivity to cold.
& yes what I called an inhibitor is really a stabilizer. The idea is to keep the mast cells under better control, in my case the regular cells that mutated to pseudo mast cells that leak. Heather is 100% right don't try adding multiple drugs or supplements at a time. Let your body get used to one & tolerate it before adding anymore.
MikeV

IP Logged

TallBird
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 08/03/12 at 07:15:26

Thanks MikeV for clarifying this for me.  Hope you are having a good day!

TallBird

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print