Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New York Area, Doctor Found (Read 18790 times)
mommy2seanp
Tutor

New York Area, Doctor Found
07/25/12 at 15:10:36

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share with you a new doctor we've recently seen who is knowledgable about MCAS.  Her name is Dr. Anne Maitland
http://www.drannemaitland.net/

She's caring, compassionate, and most importantly willing to help you.  

My son and I have MCAS in addition to Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS). To our pleasant surprise, Dr. Maitland knows of EDS too!  She recently organized a group of NYC doctors in addition to an NIH doctor and is applying for a grant to research the connection between EDS and MCAS.  

I will keep you posted on the research initiative.

Good Luck!
Tina

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Re: New York Area, Doctor Found
Reply #1 - 07/26/12 at 02:04:27

Awesome resource. Thank you for posting this.

IP Logged

hb36
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 07/27/12 at 13:00:37

That's great news, Tina.  Thanks for letting us know.  I would love to see some research on the EDS/MCAS connection Smiley  I hope her grant comes through.  Dr. Maitland sounds awesome!
Heather

IP Logged

Emilyviolet
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 08/23/12 at 07:13:48

I just called to set up an appt and I asked if she new about mast cell activation disorder and if they could help me and the girl went to talk to Dr maitland and came back and told me no that she is not that familar with it. so i guess im going to boston

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 08/23/12 at 09:42:08

Something isn't right here.  "mommy2seanp" said she does know about MCAS, and they are seeing her for it.  Maybe the person with whom you spoke asked someone else instead of Dr. Maitland.  I would private message "mommy2seanp" and ask her what she thinks the problem could be.  You can always call Dr. Maitland's office and ask her nurse or ask them to have the doctor call you.  Of course, Boston is always a good choice, but if there's someone local, it might be worth pursuing further.

Joan

IP Logged

mommy2seanp
Tutor

Reply #5 - 08/23/12 at 10:24:47

Sorry you received that information from her office staff but it is incorrect.  I will make sure to let Dr. M aware of the mis information.

Dr. Maitland most definitely knows about Mast Cells and is actually in the process of applying for a grant to begin researching the correlation between EDS and MCAS.  I know for a fact that Dr. M is out on vacation so "whoever" they spoke with was not Dr. M.

I'm all for going to see Dr. Castells if you can.  My son sees her and I can't say enough wonderful things.  But, if you'd like someone more local to get you started on treatment Dr. Maitland is a good choice and will work with Dr. Castells when you get in to see her.

IP Logged

Emilyviolet
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 08/23/12 at 15:47:44

hello thanks , yea when she told me that i sunk into my seat cause i was looking forward to seeing her, what office did you go to? there is 2 and the first office i called was in the city and they told me to call the other office where she was at and they would know more info which is when they informed me that, if you say she knows then i will travel to see her cause the boston doc has a year wait

IP Logged

Emilyviolet
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 08/23/12 at 17:10:00

im just going to make an appt with her then, and not even bother asking the receptionists but which office do you go to? i dont have mastcytosis but possible mcad. thanks again

IP Logged

mommy2seanp
Tutor

Reply #8 - 08/23/12 at 18:00:29

Tarrytown but she's also opening a new office in Eastchester.

IP Logged

cecil139
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
west orange, nj
Reply #9 - 03/11/14 at 10:19:12

Thanks so much for recommending Dr Maitlin, she is terrific! She is very knowledgeable on mast cell disorders. I have been waiting for 6 mo for Dr Akin at Women's and Brighams to see me, and now I don't have to wait. I have spent 20 years going from dr to dr, only to be passed on like a hot potato, never getting any answers. It was so wonderful to finally find out what is wrong with me!

IP Logged

mountain girl
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 06/21/14 at 12:54:38

Dr. Maitland is a good doctor for any of us to see. Here is some information on her as well as links to her video lecture on MCAS and EDS...scroll down a bit.

http://mastcellblog.wordpress.com/2013/11/24/mcadeds/

I just recently got an appointment with Dr. Castells...it is currently a six month wait.  

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 01/06/15 at 13:25:21

I just saw Dr. Anne Maitland today!!!! Made the appt. last Sept. or so.  

She is so knowledgeable and kind.  15 doctors later and I am finally going to get some meds.  

She will get my rheumatologist (who has a mastocytosis patient) to be my go to doctor at home.

She will educate him on mast cell activation syndrome, since he is one of the many doctors that are only aware of mastocytosis.

I was evaluated for Ehler Danlos (I said I thought I had this) and was told 8 out of 10 Beighton Scale.  I'm not that bendy but what I always thought was normal is not LOL.  Also I had a black and white photo of me at about 10 years old and my knee is noticabley hyperextended and my shins are all bruised.  When she asked if she could make a copy of it and left the room, I started crying.  Crying for the child who always didn't feel well and legs hurt.  Cried for what I might have been if I didn't have this genetic mutant and cried for my daughter who does.

My 14 year old daughter has a chronic stomache ache and flushing.  I got her an appt. for April!

I am so happy to have a diagnosis and that my parents lived to hear what I've been bellyaching about for sooo many years, (they're 87 and 84 years old)

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #12 - 01/07/15 at 05:19:47

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!

This is FANTASTIC news!!!!    Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

It´s so great when we finally get a doctor who knows what they are seeing and can DO SOMETHING about it!!!

Good for you!!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Julie M.
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
DC Metro area
Reply #13 - 01/09/15 at 06:06:07

Hi all,

Been quite a while since I posted, but felt I should give quick update on Dr. Maitland's status.

I contacted her directly (via email) this week inquiring about making an appointment.  Unfortunately, her response was not encouraging.  She responded:

"At this time, I am unable to accommodate more patients with MCAS until a colleague joins the practice in September."   Cry

She did (very kindly) offer to be available by phone to my local physicians, once I sent her all my medical records and responded to her office questionnaire. (History taking forms I assume.)   Not sure, I'll do that at this point.  Need to think about my comfort level of having a doctor I've never seen consult on my case based solely on medical records.  Something I need to think over.  

I have a great local team of physicians, but really need a MC expert to help guide treatment decisions.  Dr. Afrin provides general info when I inquire, but I need something more targeted, given my ongoing symptoms.  (Got my diagnosis from Dr. Afrin in 2012.)

Guess, I need to think this one over.  But at any rate, wanted to pass along Dr. Maitland's status to others on the forum.

Hope you all are having a symptom free day!

Best,

Julie

IP Logged

Lily9
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 02/11/16 at 13:19:11

I learned on 2/1/16 that Dr. Maitland is no longer accepting patients....apparently she is devoting herself to research.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print