Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New York Area, Doctor Found (Read 18884 times)
Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: New York Area, Doctor Found
Reply #15 - 02/11/16 at 19:19:47

It's so discouraging when we lose a doctor who understands!  If anyone out there has a doctor who knows about mast cell disorders, please post the name and contact information.

Joan

IP Logged

Julie M.
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
DC Metro area
Reply #16 - 02/17/16 at 14:17:52

I am still seeing Dr. Maitland although my appointments are few and far between.  (Just have to space them out a bit with the cost of travel/accommodations.)  When I saw her back in December she told me her wait list for MC patients was a year.  She acknowledged that her MC patients take up a tremendous amount of time (no denying that!) and I sensed (though she didn't say so) that she was bit overwhelmed with the number of MC patients contacting her.

I'm a bit surprised to hear that she completely closed the practice to MC patients, but perhaps she just doesn't have the resources to see so many of us.  I'm seeing her next month so I'll double check with her then about her status.   I'll let you know if I learn anything additional.

Best to all,

Julie

IP Logged

Julie M.
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
DC Metro area
Reply #17 - 03/26/16 at 07:27:01

Hi all,

I saw Dr. Maitland earlier this week and asked her about her status with taking on new MC patients.  Here's what I took from our conversation...

She is no longer going to take on new MC patients where she is the primary treating physician.  Instead, she is going to make herself available as a consultant to patients who are already working with a physician regarding potential MC issues.  (Sounds very similar to Dr. Afrin's policy on patients needing to have a physician near their home that will be the "gatekeeper" for MC related issues.  He's happy to consult/advise but doesn't want to be the primary point of contact.)  

I did not get the impression that she was leaving her practice to go into research.  (Although she may be doing research in addition to her practice.)  She has an active and vibrant allergy practice in NY, so she keeps herself very busy, even without us MC folks!

Dr. Maitland really understands our plight.  So while it is disappointing that she won't take on new MC patients, she is still available for consultation, which is better than the door being closed completely.   Smiley

Hope this helps clarify...

Best,

Julie

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print