Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Maryland (Read 7251 times)
Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Maryland
07/23/12 at 19:11:46

I am not from here but came across this on another forum about a doc supposedly familiar with MCAS and diagnosing and treating some patients with it. Can't speak of personal experience but just wanted to pass it along in case it would save someone travelling or something

If you've found otherwise please post as I am merely relaying info Smiley

Dr. Michael Mardiney, Jr.
http://www.mardiney.com/index.html

http://www.mardiney....physicians.html

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Re: Maryland
Reply #1 - 07/24/12 at 05:06:56

Wow, thanks!  There are at least three of us here in Maryland who have started seeing Dr. Afrin, which is a heck of a drive.  Maybe one of us will be brave and give this practice a call.  It seems like a brand new website, but the practice has offices all over the state...don't know what that's about.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #2 - 07/24/12 at 10:51:57

Not sure either but I know of two patients who have seen him. I think one of them posts on here..maybe she will see this

Not sure they'll top Afrin but might be a good local contact

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #3 - 07/31/12 at 04:53:43

Well, I just had my first visit. And............read what I wrote on the General forum.

Dr. Afrin is still my man, if you know what I mean.  Time will tell.

IP Logged

PeonyPatti
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 06/03/14 at 03:04:39

Hello!
I am new to this forum. My son and I are in need of a local MCAS Dr. and we live in Maryland, near Columbia.  Does anyone have any experience with this above mentioned Maryland Dr.?

Thanks everyone for all of the helpful information!
Smiley

IP Logged

sarahkay1111
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 06/03/14 at 05:02:30

Hi,
I don't know about the first Dr. mentioned, but Dr. Afrin is moving to MN in July.  If you are in Maryland, Dr. Castells is supposed to be excellent and she is in Boston.  That would probably be your best bet unless someone else has more info??  Good luck with everything--Sarah

IP Logged

Bruce Hart
Guiding Light

Oklahoma, USA
Reply #6 - 06/04/14 at 12:05:13

I haven't seen this doctor but I did call and his receptionist affirmed he is familiar with MCAS. He works at multiple locations listed on his site.

IP Logged

Ginny
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 06/04/14 at 23:28:48

I'm new here and need a knowledgable doctor in Maryland.  Also, have recently identified 13 other people in the state dealing with Mast Cell issues.  Can't find a doc who is familiar.  Help please.  

IP Logged

Julie M.
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
DC Metro area
Reply #8 - 06/05/14 at 15:46:51

Hi all,

I haven't been on the forum in quite a long time, but happened by today and saw the posts re: a MC doc in Maryland.  I'm in Maryland, as are a few others here on the forum.  I wish I had good news for those of you looking for a great MC doctor here in Maryland, but 6 years into this and I still haven't a true expert.  

I have some very good physicians (rheumie, gastro, allergist, etc.) who do their best to help me, but none are MC experts.  They accept my diagnosis (I saw Dr. Afrin for evaluation and official diagnosis.) and are willing to treat my MC issues, but it is an uphill battle.  They don't know the long list of meds used to treat MCAS and in many cases they are not willing to prescribe meds that are out of their area of expertise.    

When I was seeking a diagnosis, I went to Hopkins and didn't find them helpful.  That was several years ago, so maybe things have changed.  Calling Hopkins might be worth a try.

Ultimately, I emailed Dr. Metcalfe at NIH for a suggestion of a physician in the community and he referred me to his former colleague Dr. Michael Kaliner who is in the Silver Spring area.  Dr. Kaliner is an allergist and has a handful of patients with mast cell issues.  I really can't say if he has diagnosed anyone with MCAS as I was already diagnosed when I started seeing him, but he is familiar with the diagnosis.  We work pretty well together, although I don't always think he fully "gets" the complexity of life with MCAS.  The other issue is that Dr. Kaliner is retirement age, so who knows how much longer he'll be practicing.

The reality is that doctors with MC expertise are still few and far between.  Perhaps some of the other forum members from Maryland will have better news.

I wish you well in your search for a doctor...we can all relate to that challenge.

Best,

Julie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print