Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mast cells activation contribute to small intestinal ischemia reperfusion induced acute lung injury (Read 4779 times)
kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Mast cells activation contribute to small intestinal ischemia reperfusion induced acute lung injury
07/11/12 at 05:48:42

http://www.injuryjournal.com/article/S0020-1383(12)00003-4/abstract

Abstract Background Small intestinal ischemia-reperfusion (IIR) injury may lead to severe local and remote tissue injury, especially acute lung injury (ALI). Mast cell activation plays an important role in IIR injury. It is unknown whether IIR mediates lung injury via mast cell activation.

Methods Adult SD rats were randomized into sham operated group (S), sole IIR group (IIR) in which rats were subjected to 75 min of superior mesenteric artery occlusion followed by 4 h reperfusion, or IIR being respectively treated with the mast cell stabilizer Cromolyn Sodium (IIR + CS group), with the tryptase antagonist Protamine (IIR + P group), with the histamine receptor antagonist Ketotifen (IIR + K group), or with the mast cell degranulator Compound 48/80 (IIR + CP group). The above agents were, respectively, administrated intravenously 5 min before reperfusion. At the end of experiment, lung tissue was obtained for histologic assessment and assays for protein expressions of tryptase and mast cell protease 7(MCP7). Pulmonary mast cell number and levels of histamine, TNF-α and IL-8 were quantified.

Results IIR resulted in lung injury evidenced as significant increases in lung histological scores (P < 0.05 IIR vs. S), accompanied with concomitant increases of mast cell counts and elevations in TNF-α and IL-8 concentrations and reductions in histamine levels (all P < 0.05 IIR vs. S). IIR also increased lung tissue tryptase and MCP7 protein expressions (all P < 0.05, IIR vs. S). Cromolyn Sodium, Ketotifen and Protamine significantly reduced whilst Compound 48/80 aggravated IIR mediated ALI and the above biochemical changes (P < 0.05).

Conclusions Mast cells activation play a critical role in IIR mediated ALI.

Keywords: Mast cell, Degranulation, Intestinal ischemia reperfusion, Lung injury

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Mast cells activation contribute to small intestinal ischemia reperfusion induced acute lung injury
Reply #1 - 07/11/12 at 10:00:42

Do you know if this has been studied in humans?

Joan

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Re: Mast cells activation contribute to small intestinal ischemia reperfusion induced acute lung injury
Reply #2 - 07/11/12 at 10:23:26

I'm sorry Joan. I don't know. In my research today I just happened across this and thought it interesting and wanted to share it here on the forum.

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #3 - 08/15/12 at 14:14:18

Guess this is why my lungs burn after I eat the wrong things. Huh

Pam

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print