Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nystatin?? (Read 2984 times)
PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Nystatin??
07/09/12 at 13:25:26

I was given a script for nystatin before I started the mast cell stablizers. I think that my yeasty problem is back. Has anyone taken nystatin and has it caused any problems??  Talked to Mark at Clarks pharmacy and he said it was safe but just throwing out the question before it start taking it!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Re: Nystatin??
Reply #1 - 07/09/12 at 15:18:19

Pam,
I use nystatin powder for skin yeast infection under my belly and breasts.  For me, if I limit bread, the infection clears up.  Is your nystatin oral, cream or powder?

Ps, I saw another post of yours:  In case you didn't know this steroids are notorious for flaring yeast issues.  

Are you on a good probiotic?    

Lyn

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #2 - 07/10/12 at 04:58:50

Lyn,
The nystatin is oral.  I started a probiotic and had reations to it, swelling my throat, so I have been kind of scared to try it again.  I think my body hates everything! As far as good don't know if it is good it's the three lac...someone at work told me about it.  It does have a lemon extract in it, that might be an issue. I was hoping to use it some day because it's expensive.  I'm still working up to taking a multivitamin!  I keep thinking I will take it when I feel stable and that just doesn't happen often!  I have a good vitamin that doesn't have salicylates, the teen vitamin from GNC.  I didn't know steriods flared the yeast, good to know.
Thanks,
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 07/11/12 at 09:23:02

I've taken oral nystatin, and it was helpful.  Try a little bit first (1/4 tsp.) and make sure you aren't reacting to it.  I always try new meds after eating.  It slows absorption.

Can you eat yogurt or soy yogurt or cottage cheese?  If you want to try again, there are many types of probiotics, and one type might be a problem, but others not.  Check the labels and see if you can find one with the least additional ingredients.  

If milk is a problem, there are some that are cultured on a carrot or other vegan base.  Ask at your local health food store, and someone may be able to help.  

Don't take an entire capsule at once.  Open a capsule and tap a few grains out into some cool food or drink.  If you don't have a problem with that in about 4 hours, try a tiny bit more.  Of course, run this by your doctor before trying anything new.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print