Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Going out for lunch...such fun. (Read 6836 times)
PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Going out for lunch...such fun.
07/07/12 at 08:56:35

My husband and I USED to love to eat out, as many of you know that can be quite scary and dangerous!  We decide to visit a new resteraunt that just opened.  It is packed, the temp outside is 104 and the wait is "only" 16 mins.  That is 16 mins of nasty purFUMES and/or heat, that is 16 mins longer than I could handle.  I also think the new construction was working on me even more than the purfumes.  So I tell him...would you be mad if we leave?  Of course he is a sweety and says no, and I said but I wanted to have a fun lunch out and he says we will just some place else.
So we go to his favorite mexican food place, I usually can handle it.  I order a toco salad grilled with NO Spices, no pico de gala.  So It comes out covered in the spice they grilled it in(season salt with paprika) and the waitress told me well there must have been spices on the grill.  Do I look that stupid??  It was not just a little but it was coated in spices. She did not tell them how to cook it or they just didn't listen. I told her I can not eat that and I would just eat when I got home, afterall if the grill is that dirty then anything they made would be dangerous.

It is so frustrating trying to be normal and do normal things when every detail has to be different. Angry
At least my husband enjoyed his favorite meal at his favorite resturant, even if I had to sit and watch him eat! Undecided
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Re: Going out for lunch...such fun.
Reply #1 - 07/07/12 at 12:39:47

Oh Pam! What a bummer. I'm sure hubby felt bad for you. Maybe next time you guys do a meal out your experience will be better.

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/08/12 at 04:28:29

I *SO* feel your pain.  My father was visiting and wanted to take us out to dinner and the only place I can think of to go is Chipotle (though sometimes even that is bad if they've thrown habaneros into the guac).   We ended up going to an Indian place and I got a really mild korma (which is cream based) and was surprisingly okay!  It helped that I had been on white bread and hard boiled eggs for nearly a week because of a flare last weekend, so my stomach was in good shape to start.   You might try that...for a day or two before going out, eat the absolute plainest food you can, so that your gut will be as calm as possible to start.

In general, though, we can't eat out with friends, I take my own food if we go to people's houses for dinner...it's frustrating and embarrassing.   You can't really feel like you treated yourself to something special when you eat out and decide you can't risk trying most of what's on the menu.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 07/08/12 at 19:09:35

When I was in the hospital one time (un-related to masto), I asked for plain chicken and potatoes, only salt and pepper.  When they sent my food in, the chicken was covered in spices.  When I called the kitchen to ask about it, they told me to rinse it off!   Angry

Sorry that happened, Pam!  You did the right thing.  You don't want to stir up anything mast cell-related unnecessarily!

We've addressed this problem with carry-out.  If my husband wants something, and I can't eat at that restaurant, we'll get him carry-out and get me something different from another place.  Also, you can ask your doctor if you can take some extra meds before you go out to eat.  That might help....

Joan

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #4 - 07/09/12 at 03:50:45

I see that you all can relate, I have taken food to people's houses too.  It IS frustrating and embarassing! I took a steak to a cook out one time because I know I can eat it....I'm sure they were thinking wow hamburgers and hotdogs are not good enough??  Oh well!
Joan good idea takeout from different places is worth a try!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 07/09/12 at 09:28:56

Pam;
I'm sorry gf. Sad  My family is very thoughtful now & will ask me what they can cook /what I can eat. So if I bring my own- they don't mind  Smiley or I just say "I'll find something I can eat".
As to eating out; Most mexican, & italian foods are cooked with the spices/sauces in them Tongue. I know some italian restaurants'll have pasta in olive oil n minimal spices-usually added near the end. Mexican foods are tougher- I'd say try fajitas (flank steak/beef skirt) cuz those are cooked to order pretty much. Gosh we do need to write a flippin' book ! Cheesy
hope i helped some  Roll Eyes
lori

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 07/09/12 at 10:23:14

I often call restaurants ahead and ask them if they're willing to make accommodations for people with food allergies.  That gives them a heads-up.  Then I'll ask the server, too, and if he/she doesn't know, the manager is usually willing to help.  Of course, that's not the case in many chain restaurants because some of their food is made ahead and shipped in frozen.

Joan

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #7 - 07/10/12 at 08:57:42

One of the necessities with mast cell disease is that you MUST change your expectations on what is important in your life and what makes you happy. My husband and I used to write restaurant reviews, and now food is my biggest enemy!

Food is simply no longer a big deal to me, though. I go to plenty of restaurants with friends and family. In most cases, I only eat bread and maybe a salad. Sometimes, I don't eat at all. How do I not lose my mind? I simply changed my priorities. No longer is it the food that is important; it is the company and the enjoyment of being out with loved ones. I can usually nibble on bread and maybe a dessert (as long as it doesn't have liquor in it....). My friends know not to act funny that I am not eating, because they understand and accept it. So we all have fun and it is no big deal. Granted, sometimes I get annoyed that I can't eat things I used to love, but it is what it is.

When I go on vacations and we eat in amazing restaurants, I truly only eat bread or salad most of the time. Then we might all skip dessert from the restaurant and go out for ice cream (which I can eat). My thought process is that the taste of something simply isn't worth feeling pain and being sick from it. Sometimes, I will purposely eat something at home first before going out, and that helps me resist wanting to order anything risky.

So you see, it is a process of changing the way you think. No, it isn't fair, but I like to take the optimist view and find the happy things to focus on. It fulfills my life and really makes me not care that I am missing out on certain things. It's hard at first to think this way, but you can do it. I have dealt with this illness for probably at least 15 years, so I have obviously had a lot of time to work through my anger at having this disease and  accept the restrictions and bend them to work to my advantage rather than focus on the negative. I am sooooo happy now. Don't ever give up and feel that you can't get to this state as well. You can!  Smiley

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #8 - 07/10/12 at 13:13:25

Wonderful advice Deborah! True it will be a tough change in attitude. I can't speak of other countries but here in the US it seems that so many holidays and gatherings are focused on foods. But your advice is great and I am going to try changing my attitude about eating out and food in general as well.

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #9 - 07/10/12 at 17:25:23

Kim, you are so right about holidays and family gatherings! I am definitely the oddball in that I lose weight during those times, because I can't pig out like everyone else. LOL. See, yet another bright side to this! Haa Haa

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print