Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No tomato pasta sauce (Read 10158 times)
ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

No tomato pasta sauce
06/27/12 at 08:04:59

I recently found this recipe and it is about the first alternative recipe that has been a hit with my kids. It is cutand pasted from a website, but it wasn't written as a low histamine recipe, so I still adapt it for us (omit vinegar and for us garlic and onion) but it makes a good replacement for bolognese when made with ground beef.

No-Tomato Pasta Sauce

3 carrots,

1/2 beetroot

2/3 cup of water

1 tbs apple cider vinegar

3 tbs lemon juice

1 1/2 tsp celtic sea salt

sprinkle of dried herbs or a chopped handful of fresh herbs

1 diced cooked onion

1 clove garlic, crushed.

Steam the carrots and beetroot until they are tender and then blend them together

Cook the onions and garlic with the herbs and add this to the sauce with water and vinegar. Blend it together if you like a smooth sauce or just mix well if you like a bit of texture. My husband was making this and he added a bit of maple syrup to the sauce – but I am of the thinking that beets and carrots make it sweet enough.

Add any other ingredients you like: cooked ground meat for bolognaise or beans and spices for mexican.

IP Logged

Guantai
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: No tomato pasta sauce
Reply #1 - 07/29/12 at 15:35:36

Sounds interesting.  Thanks for posting.  I have been following a low histamine diet and understand about leaving out the vinegar but are onions and garlic also problematic for us?

Thanks.

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 08/17/12 at 03:58:41

Things like onions and garlic seem to be very individual, if you tolerate them that's great. There are some high histamine foods that seem to be more common to cause problems and a lot that are very individual. I also suspect that some things are tolerated better if they are 'hidden' in other things, so in small quantities in combination with other ingredients they are tolerated but eaten in concentrated forms or on their own they aren't.  So my son occasionally gets away with a small amount of raw tomato in a salad sandwich, but if he has ketchup or tomato paste he is likely to react.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 08/17/12 at 17:13:32

He might be triggered by mold, too.  Ketchup and tomato paste are high in mold, which wouldn't be present in fresh tomatoes.

Joan

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 08/23/12 at 03:54:12

That's interesting Joan, could well add to the effect. He has reacted to fresh tomato too, like a good serving of cherry tomatoes, the really bright red ones. The inconsistency of reactions is one of the most frustrating things, so hard to pin down a pattern.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 08/23/12 at 16:24:49

It could depend on how full his "bucket" is, day to day.  Some days I can tolerate things that I can't on others.  The state of my digestive system makes a difference, too.  If it's upset, I have to reign in my diet and eat extremely carefully.  I would imagine that some tomatoes, and depending on ripeness, too, have more histamine than others.

Yes, it's frustrating, but it's amazing how much we can figure out over time.  Eventually, if he doesn't want to react, he'll avoid foods that even sometimes trigger him.

BTW, I don't have problems with cooked garlic and onions, but raw can be upsetting to my stomach.  Powdered onions and garlic are high in mold, as are dried fruits, herbs, etc., so that can be an issue, too.

Joan

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 08/24/12 at 02:05:30

It is complex, and I agree about the state of the digestive tract. I have symptoms that overlap, but not to the same degree as Cameron, and I dont know if it is mast cell related or not. I have more trouble than he does with things like onion and garlic, definitely when they are not well cooked. I suspect high sulfur foods and sulphites. I Improved significantly after a course of probiotics. As well as histamine I  think he has a problem with salicylates and also artificial additives, particularly food colorings. He does now choose to avoid a small number of the more obvious things like any tomato based sauces. For a teenaged boy to pass on pizza he's getting the message and starting to make the choices, when there has been a clear enough connection for him to get it. And we work on any ways we can to keep the bucket less full.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #7 - 08/25/12 at 18:12:15

I dom't know if it's possible for him, but I order pizza without tomato sauce.  Sometimes a place will have pesto to substitute.

Joan

IP Logged

ruth
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 08/25/12 at 18:54:54

I make my own pizzas and use pesto, tapenade, Alfredo sauce, or even just olive oil and grated cheese. However mostly he says he would rather not have pizza at all if it's not the traditional type. I will try it sometime using this no-tomato sauce, since he likes it as a pasta sauce.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print