Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone get this and if so what is it? (Read 5341 times)
texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Anyone get this and if so what is it?
06/26/12 at 10:09:20

Whenever I eat I get a sinus headache drainage and achy  neck and knuckle joints in my hands....been allergy tested & no foods showed.

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Anyone get this and if so what is it?
Reply #1 - 06/26/12 at 11:06:51

Sounds like a histamine headache to me. Have you tried taking an extra allegra or zyrtec when this symptoms starts to see if it goes away? It is odd that it is WHENEVER you eat. Are you sure it is every single time? It could be a recurring food that you keep eating that is triggering a histamine headache. I woudl suggest writing down every thing that you eat so that you can look for a pattern or any common food that keeps reappearing on your list.

Remember, with mast cell disease, most of us have NO allergies and thus test negative to allergy tests. Yet, our mast cells react as if we are allergic. Our mast cells are just too sensitive....

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 06/27/12 at 02:06:42

Yes, I do take a zyrtec sometimes when it starts and it does help.  Also Mucinex helps me too and I do fine with it. Usually it is just certain foods like MSG, glutamates, wines, etc (which I avoid anymore).  But here lately, just seems like mundane things like turkey sandwiches do it.  I do actually have environmental allergies and am wondering if there is some role in this right now...for example, I know you can only show allergy symptoms to certain foods when hayfever season is in etc.  Histamine headache does make sense though...I will try to start keeping better track of when its hitting me.  I am on Zyrtec singulair and Neuroprotek...and is still happening.

IP Logged

Rocky 9801
Tutor

What the hell happened???!!

St Louis, MO
Reply #3 - 06/29/12 at 07:06:14

If your turkey sandwich is processed lunch meat, the preservatives used in the meat could be part of the problem.  I am in the process of going all organic....or trying to.  Dont know if it helps but it based on the money I spend, I should feel better! Grin

Grandpa, which wolf wins the fight....the good one or the bad onel??

The one you feed, son. The one you feed.

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #4 - 06/29/12 at 08:35:07

Deb:
Didn't hnow there was such a thing as a histamine headache. I used to get them if on the weekend when I'd take a nap. Don't laugh out there some of us are in our 60's. But since I switched from zyrtec to allegra as the combo of zrytec & ketitofen was making me too tired, have not had them, luckily  I don't seem to get from any food.
Thanks Deb
MikeV

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 06/29/12 at 16:33:56

Rocky probably not a bad idea. Did it years ago when I first found out I had IC for about a year but didn't pay much attention to how it impacted headaches etc because I was so focused on getting IC pain down from a 10.  Found out that was more flared by general changes in my immune system (surprise!) and a few triggers like anti inflam alcohol Antibiotics. So might be worth revisiting. I try to eat organics and natural where I can easily but should prob try to be stricter....glutamates and sulfites are two I'm pretty sure cause the headaches.

Mike don't feel bad. My husband is 51 healthy as an ox and takes a short lunch nap almost everyday!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 06/30/12 at 15:46:46

I see you're taking an H1 antihistamine along with a leukotriene inhibitor and anti-inflammatory (NeuroProtek), but I didn't see an H2 blocker, such as Zantac or Pepcid.

I agree with the others'  suggestion, and would also think about adding an H2 antihistamine.

Joan

IP Logged

larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 07/01/12 at 04:18:50

Have you tried eliminating gluten, dairy or oxalates, one group at a time, to see how you feel?  I used to have IC and I learned that people with IC often have problems with oxalates.  I then later developed sensitivities to the others, plus salicylates.  When I have too much of any of these, I will develop symptoms like the ones you listed.

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 07/01/12 at 05:25:26

Joan and Larken

I have Zantac on hand and will try adding it again. Larken if u have ic in total remission u are one of the lucky few... I'm glad u figured out the key to yours.  I tried ic diet which as u know is very strict.  Also, soy free, dairy free, all organic, gluten free....been thru a lot. Haven't tried low salicylate but have read about it.  My ic is pretty good thru antihist bladder meds and very low dose continuous bcp.  I found my ic to be triggered by envir allergies hormonal swings and a few things like antiinflam (including aspirin) glutamates alcohol antibiotics.  My neuropathic pain is doing better also on neuroprotek and singulair...I prob should keep a food diary for what triggers headaches and tummy aches...I have so many issues I'm balancing... I mostly look for major triggers anymore.  When I was first sick I was afraid to eat anything ...those were not good days!  I went back and checked ...everything in my sandwich was all natural but the mayo....mmmm, might have been that.  Next time skipping that condiment!  Ps Larken my ic is about 85 percent under control....trying to get other stuff there as well without making that angry!

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #9 - 07/01/12 at 07:36:33

I am on two mast cell stableizers and many antihisamines and when I eat dairy products it makes my major joints hurt.  I would suggest a food diary and then you will be able to identify the trigger!
Good luck
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 07/03/12 at 04:20:04

Tex;
Turkey -if not freshly cooked- always gives me "spots".
Mike; I take a Ketotifen (2x day) at nite, & half a zyrtec and always wake up TIRED. Maybe I will try cutting out the zyrtec altogether & see if that helps. If so, thanks for a heads up. Smiley
When I get "those" headaches- I take an xtra strength tylenol, and a benedryl.
I have been getting such awful sharp pains all over lately & have no clue what's triggering it. Undecided   Maybe time to try some neuroprotek or that dr. theo's formula...
lori

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print