Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help please! Young friend needs a doctor. Any ideas? (Read 9068 times)
Maiysa
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Help please! Young friend needs a doctor. Any ideas?
06/21/12 at 16:42:34

I had lunch with a friend and her son has been battling a mysterious illness for a few years now. He is an amazing 13 year old and was very athletic and happy. Since this mysterious illness he has missed several months of school in the past few years. They have taken him to some of the best doctors on the east and west coast and nothing shows up. You can imagine how this goes with the doctors when nothing shows up on blood work. I am frustrated for them. You can tell the poor kid is sick. They thought he had crohn's and did the colonoscopy and nothing showed up, but has a lot of the GI issues.  I went to see him a year ago and he was so sick that he couldn't even sit with us and started flushing after he ate. He also has constant stomach cramping and now seems to have neuropathy-numbness in feet and hands. I am wondering if he has a mast cell issue. He was well for 4 months but after playing sports in the blazing heat here in the desert, the mysterious illness came back again. Very flushed face and stomach cramping and can barely do anything he is so sick.  Her relative is a doctor so she has access to the blood and urine tests which she is going to get today. (I told her to get the 24 hour urine methyhistamine and 11 beta prostaglandin alpha F2 and gave her the protocol for keeping everything cold and to do a tryptase test and compliment test just for good measure) Am I missing anything? Two more questions, it took 5 months for me to be able to get into the doctor to help me here in the southwest. Is there somewhere she can get into earlier? And which doctor would be willing to see children? Maybe Dr. Theo? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. It's just so painful to see a mother's heartbreak. I feel terrible for her and want to help as quickly as possible. This poor kid has missed out on so much the past few years.
Thank you all in advance!!!
Maiysa

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Help please! Young friend needs a doctor. Any ideas?
Reply #1 - 06/22/12 at 07:59:45

This sounds like an obvious case of mast cell disease. Dr. Castells In Boston sees children. That is who I would go to right away if it were my son.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

mommy2seanp
Tutor

Reply #2 - 08/12/12 at 02:32:06

Maiysa,

Did you ever find anyone in AZ who know's about MCAS?  Trying to get information for another mommy.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Julie T
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 08/12/12 at 11:50:39

I live in AZ.  We work with a naturopath that works with dr castells now.   just started the process.  we see castells in october.  you can private message me...

IP Logged

mommy2seanp
Tutor

Reply #4 - 08/12/12 at 13:49:27

Thanks Julie.  I'd appreciate the recommendation.  I sent you a PM

Tina

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 08/12/12 at 16:26:15

Tina, Dr. Theo is not licensed to practice medicine in the US, so he can not help.  Dr. Castells is the ONLY one who sees children.  You can try talking with her youself about this child since she's already speaking with you about Sean.   This kid sounds like MCAS without a doubt, but he could be SM without anybody knowing it.  The trytpase will tell if he's SM or MCAS and then based upon that you'll know what to say to Dr. Castells.  

It's worth a try anyway!!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 08/12/12 at 18:57:06

Has anyone in AZ heard of Dr. Laura Ispas-Ponas at the Sonoran Allergy and Asthma Center?  She co-authored an article about mastocytosis with W. James Metzger in 2001 that's reprinted on her website.  I don't know if she's stayed current on masto research or not.  Does anybody have any info about her?

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #7 - 08/13/12 at 01:08:24

Joan, the way to find this out is to write to her and ask her for yourself.   Very often doctors who write articles have either their own emails published on the article or there is a corresponding author whom you can contact.   Write to whomever is listed telling them that you are looking for this doctor and wondering if she´s up to date on masto because you are looking for a doctor in that area.  

Another thing, doctors who write medical articles, even those who write articles of just a case report they had in their hands, they have to do some kind of research and study on the disease of that patient case.  They have a minimal understanding and interest at least.   They may not be experts by any sense of the word but at least they are a step ahead of the other doctors in their region for having had a masto patient with a case odd enough to write about and odd enough to force them to study in order to produce the article.  

I have learned through my journeys that you have three kinds of doctors - low level doctors who just do their job, period.   Then  you have those who are a bit more interested in medicine, the mid-level doctors, and they are those who write the case reports of the oddities they come across.  They find the odd cases cause they are a bit more curious, but they are not so very curious because they don´t take that odd case or two and keep going further into research.   Then you have the high level doctors who LIKE RESEARCH and are EXTREMELY CURIOUS about medicine.   These are the ones who either go into research right off the bat, or they find some odd cases which pique their curiousity and they begin to go step by step further into the area and begin to write article after article about what they are learning and discovering and eventually become so into their studies that they become recognized authorities by their colleagues.  

So, a doctor who produces only one article is not going to be an expert, but again, this doctor is still a step ahead in the game and worth looking into as a PCP.

So, my dear, I´ve given you some homework!   Let´s see how you do with the challenge!!    Wink   I rather think you´ll get an A+

Kiss

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

mommy2seanp
Tutor

Reply #8 - 08/13/12 at 01:17:59

I wasn't the original poster Lisa but yes I've already spoke to this mommy about Dr. Castells.  She'd like to see someone local in the meantime to make sure she's barking up the right tree (which I think she is)

Anyway, thank you guys.  I appreciate everyone's willingness to help!

IP Logged

Julie T
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 08/13/12 at 02:31:03

Joan, I saw the website for that dr too a while back and wondered if she would be a good option for people in AZ.  At least she is aware!  right!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Update AZ doctor
Reply #10 - 08/14/12 at 08:18:46

Sad to report....

Although Dr. Ispas, in Scottsdale, has an article about mastocytosis on her website, her nurse checked with her, and she has no interest in treating mast cell disorder patients of any kind, because she has not kept up on the research.  She is also unwilling to act as a local liaison for MC patients or to treat allergies in mast cell patients, according to her nurse.  In fact, she wouldn't speak with me, but recommended a doctor at NIH as the leading expert....

Disappointing.

Joan

IP Logged

mommy2seanp
Tutor

Reply #11 - 08/14/12 at 11:47:45

Thank you Joan for checking this out.

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #12 - 08/14/12 at 14:53:28

You need to tell your friend that seeing someone local (who probably isn't knowledgeable enough, but won't even realize it) is exactly what she shouldn't do. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't race straight to the top for their child. I do that for myself, and my children come before me. So, I would definitely be contacting Dr. Castells if this were my child. The last thing she wants is to get bad advice and head down the wrong path, thus hurting rather than helping her child.

Sorry to be so blunt, but that child depends upon mom to make the right decisions....

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #13 - 08/15/12 at 19:04:11

I couldn't agree more.

Joan

IP Logged

mommy2seanp
Tutor

Reply #14 - 08/15/12 at 23:20:30

I appreciate your suggestions and always recommend Dr. Castells as she is my son's doctor but for some flying a child who's "allergic to the world" across the country isn't always a feasibility.  Many of these moms that I'm reaching out to don't know what's going on with their kids and until some research comes out in regards to "MCAS and Children" they have little to no guidance as to if this "IS" what their child has.  The mom in question is already dealing with a child with an Eosionphilic disorder and multiple allergies.  I know that an EGID can be secondary to  Mast Cell which is why I made the suggestion.  Unfortunately, I am not a doctor and can not diagnosis someone based on email communication.  For some just starting this journey, and already dealing with other allergic conditions, a local contact would be a logical first step.  In addition,  Dr. Castells will not see a new patient without a letter of referral from a local doctor suspecting the disorder.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print