Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Appointment with Dr. Afrin Last Monday (Read 2925 times)
KatFromMD
Ex Member

My Appointment with Dr. Afrin Last Monday
06/20/12 at 08:12:24

Okay, here's a run down of my appointment with Dr. Afrin.  Please remember that anything that I write is MY INTERPRETATION of what Dr. Afrin said.  It's always possible that what I "heard" isn't what he said, but I thought I'd share what I got out of the appointment, as he was willing to answer my questions at the end.

First he took a long history, starting back in my childhood and asking about each incident that I had in the progression of my illness.  I had lots of things that I wasn't sure could be attributed to mast cell, but by his reaction a lot of it could.  He suspected my dry eyes, which my ophthalmologist thinks is auto-immune, is mast cell related. He asked if I ever get rashes and I showed him my torso, which is often a mottled red from heat or pressure from clothing (I've previously just considered this a part of being very fair skinned), and his reaction was "enough said" and put me down for a yes.

He then did a physical exam and when he did the scratch test on my back, it started itching and burning so much I was squirming from the reaction.  My husband said each time he went back and checked it, it was clearly visible (I think he wrote MC+ on my back!).  I don't know if he got anything else from the physical exam.  

He then said that he strongly suspects that I have MCAS, but that in order to give a diagnosis you need three things to support it: 1) medical history/physical exam, which I clearly have (including having already ruled out just about everything else), 2) improvement with appropriate treatment (I've seen good, but not at all full, improvement with H1s and H2s), and 3) labs showing abnormal mast cell activity.

So, of course, he ordered TONS of labs, which was in part why I was there, to get them all done, and hopefully done right.  I didn't actually get a list of all of the labs he ordered (I usually like to do that), but I know from other people's experience I'll be waiting for weeks, so I'll just have to be patient.

I also let them draw a couple of extra vials for a study he's doing, funded by The Mastocytosis Society, to see if MCAS patients have specific "signals" that cause increased amounts of monocytes and reactive lymphocytes in the blood.

At the end of my time with Dr. Afrin, he was kind enough to let me ask a bunch of questions.  Now, I'm going to paraphrase a lot here, but when it came to questions in terms of "can/why does MCAS cause my fatigue, low blood pressure, Hashimoto's, etc...", his basic answer was similar to his discussion at the end of his Toronto lecture slides: There are so many possible mast cell mutations, and so many (hundreds and hundreds) of mast cell mediators, each of which can impact multiple other systems, that it's impossible to say exactly how the mast cell activation is causing all of this.  I think he did consider the fatigue and poor recovery from exertion, as well as the low blood pressure and general dizziness to be attributable to MCAS, but there's nothing definitive to explain why.

I asked if I should be concerned that my symptoms seem to be continuing to get worse, and he said that there's no strict pattern to how these things work, but he did say that often something traumatic will cause a worsening, and you may or may not go back to your old baseline.  (I'm not sure I've put this right, but that's sort of how I understood it.)

I asked what the gas and bloating I experience is caused by and he again said there's so much going on in there, it's hard to say exactly.  I asked if my huge bloating was likely just from gas, or also swelling/water retention and he said it was likely a combination of both.  

I asked about the fact that Dr. Castell's is now doing PGF2 alpha instead of PGD2 and he said that he doesn't know why she is (and will ask her about it at the annual meeting in October), but that he thinks they're equally valid since PGF2 is made from PGD2, so an elevation of either would show mast cell activity.  He said it could be that they have a lab that is able to do it for them more easily or in a more cost effective manner.

I asked about taking ranitidine an hour after taking my Synthroid and if it would interfere with Synthroid absorption, and he didn't think this would be a problem.

I asked if I have any likelihood of having anaphalactic episodes like some of you folks do and whether I should get Epi-pens.  He said it was hard to say since, as we well know, every MCAS patient is different, and that he wouldn't recommend them without a diagnosis.  I described a couple of episodes that I've had getting into hot cars and he said those definitely sounded anaphalactic, and that I should probably have Epi-pens.  He also cautioned me that if I ever do have to use one, that even if I'm somewhere in public, I MUST lie down first, because I could fall down after using one.  I thought this was kind of funny, because if I'm feeling bad enough to actually use one, I'm already going to be laying down!

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Re: My Appointment with Dr. Afrin Last Monday
Reply #1 - 06/20/12 at 08:14:18

I also wanted to give a little info on my logistics for the appointment for anyone else who will be going:

We stayed at the Courtyard Waterfront, which is only a few blocks from MUSC.  The MUSC special rate was something like $84/night, so that with tax it came to about $100/night.  This is a lovely hotel, and the riverfront pool/hottub were very nice.  I also think they gave us an upgrade, because we had a tiny balcony and a nice sunset view up the river.  The major drawback to this hotel is that it is stuck between the river and the highway and you can't walk anywhere (not even MUSC).  We couldn't even take much of an evening stroll.  If you don't want to get in a car, you don't have a lot of options for meals, though there are a few places that deliver.  (We brought our own cereal/soy milk/bread/PB/honey/jam, so we were covered for breakfast and lunch.)  They offer breakfast and have a little market that sells a few things for lunch and dinner, but all were pricey.  The room was also a little cramped for two people with two small roll-aboard suitcases and random other stuff.  We rearranged the furniture which helped some.

So that I wouldn't have to stay through to Wednesday, I brought a urine collection jug from Labcorp with me and started my 24-hour urine collection on Monday morning.  This meant I had to "hold it" for the duration of my appointment and lab work on Monday until I got back to the hotel, which I wasn't sure I could do, but it allowed me to turn in the sample on Tuesday morning and leave right after that.  Also, I was not given any instructions that it had to be morning to morning (which I've always thought made no sense anyway), so you might even be able to start collection Sunday afternoon, and turn the sample in on Monday afternoon at your appointment.  I did make sure to chill the collection jug the night before, kept it in the fridge the whole time, and in a cooler on ice while transporting it to the lab.  Dr. Afrin said the prostaglandins (PGD2) start breaking down almost instantly if the sample isn't kept cold, so it's in your best interest to make sure it is constantly chilled.

One thing to note:  If you're considering staying in Mount Pleasant, we drove out that way Sunday and there was a ton of roadwork along the main road there (they're doing major road widening and rerouting).  It was fine on Sunday, but during the week that might be a big problem.  Make sure you check on the status of the roadwork before staying out in Mount Pleasant.  

We also stopped at Cypress Gardens on our way into town on Sunday and really enjoyed it.  If you have the time and inclination, you might want to check it out.

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #2 - 06/20/12 at 09:23:50

Great!  Thanks for sharing.  Will they be sending you your labs like they did for me?  Then you will be able to see the elevated or out of range items.

IP Logged

KatFromMD
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/20/12 at 10:43:11

They gave me a login for the MyChart system so that I should be able to see lab results that way.  (Presumably they don't get posted there until the doctor signs off on the results.)  I had sent them info weeks ago about getting the old biopsy samples from my colonscopy, but Holli didn't remember if she had gotten them or not, so I asked again if she could look into it.

IP Logged

Futurehope
Mentor

Clermont, Florida
Reply #4 - 06/20/12 at 14:04:33

I was never even told of a MyChart system, unless it is something new.  I'll ask. I'm returning on July 9th.

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #5 - 06/21/12 at 10:36:53

Glad your appointment went well and that you were able to get some answers to your questions.

I have not heard of the MyChart system either. I went back in September. It must be something new.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print