Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What should I take for pain tomorrow after tooth extracton (Read 10386 times)
PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

What should I take for pain tomorrow after tooth extracton
05/28/12 at 16:24:47

I have to be on antibiotics because I have Mitral Valve Prolapse.  I can tolerate Tylenol, but that's pretty weak.  I'm thinking I am going to be in a lot of pain.

I have autoimmune chronic urticaria (secondary MCAS), so do "we" still face the same risks as other mast cell patients?

I'm having tooth out tomorrow 2:30 pm and I'm scared to death.

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: What should I take for pain tomorrow after tooth extracton
Reply #1 - 05/29/12 at 04:02:37

PJ;
OUCH do I feel your pain! I hope all goes well for you !!!
As I type, I have a Tylenol Ex. strength on a bad crown that shoould've had a root canal 2 years ago. I want the dentist to pull it, so Im really hopeful for your experience. I have been outve town helping out a sibling, & the tooth started "acting up" Again. My dentist had NO clue what to give me, so I had to call my allergist. When they finally called back, they said I could take Cefdinir; but the only thing they could tell me for pain was the Tylenol. No more than 3000mg. in 24hr periods. Sad I cannot get in to the dentist til Thursday. So you see PJ, I'm really hoping all goes well for you !!!  Kiss
lori
PS: My dentist called in the script to the pharmacy where I was- bless him- sometimes we forget that's an option.

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 05/29/12 at 15:20:40

@imamnotalone

I survived the tooth extraction.  Not nearly as bad as anticipated.  It was out in 2 minutes after 4 shots of novacaine.  I took an Xanax 1/2 hr. before appt. and am taking Tylenol now.  I will need a post and cap when this heals.

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 05/29/12 at 16:02:29

PJ;
I am so glad it turned out okay for you!  Smiley One never knows with the "caine" shots how we'll react. Yep, I find if it hurts bad, letting the tylenol dissolve on the gum around the tooth usually helps for a few hours. Good luck with the rest of the work- I'll be "pulling" for you (sorry, couldn't resist the pun) Grin
lori

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Reply #4 - 05/29/12 at 17:10:30

I've used clove oil in the past for tooth pain, and it works much like ambesol.  But this was long before knowing about mast cell issues.  Does anyone know if 100 percent pure clove oil is an issue for mast cell patients?  

Thanks, Lyn

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #5 - 05/30/12 at 14:07:35

cloves are listed as high histamine on some lists

but what the means exactly person to person who knows

I haven't tried them

I'm dreading dental work. Way to go everyone

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 05/30/12 at 19:02:52

It's always safest to premeditate according to the REMA protocols before any procedure, and that means H1 and H2 antihistamines, singular, and prednisone according to the posted schedule.

Joan

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 05/31/12 at 05:29:51

Joan;
I have an appt. with my dentist tomorrow at 9am. The crown he put in 2(0r3) yr.s ago is acting up again. I have been on Cefdinir and eating Ex.st Tylenol for a week now. He never ddi a root canal, and I think that is the problem. I am reday to tell him to pull it all out. Not like I could ever chew on that side anyway! I take my med.s in the am, then again at night. I will have taken: Zantac/Allegra/& Ketotifen. Do you think I need a benedryl, &/or
singulair, prednisone too ? I was thinkin a benedryl n half a xanax-
so I don't jump out've the chair and hit him ! Grin
lori
PS: I take my singulair at nite per allergist's instr.
nasonex, n advair in the am.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #8 - 05/31/12 at 20:20:27

Hi Lori,

I'm afraid this might not get to you before you go to the dentist.  If I were you, I'd get a second opinion from an endodontist.  There could be a problem that might not resolve by having the tooth pulled.  And then you'd have to go through more to have a replacement put in.

I meant to write pre-medicate, not meditate! LOL.  I do think the REMA protocols are the safest pre-meds for any type of procedure.  Good luck, and I hope the problem is solved soon!

Joan

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 06/03/12 at 14:41:22

Joan;
Thank you anyway. Ya, I'm not so sure my dentist should've been the one to pull that sucker out. Undecided
HOLY MOLAR- it took over two hours (I know cuz I kept lookin at the clock prayin for it to be over)!!!  Shocked  He gave me a half a shot of whatever "caine, waited to see if I felt okay, then gave me the rest. It was infected. He said it had had a root canal, but I grind at nite so I broke through the crown. I was on Cefdinir for 11 days. Am hoping that was enough. It still stings, but am doing saltwater rinse 5x day fdor a week, etc. Maybe a bridge at some point, but for now- I may be lookin for a new dentist. Roll Eyes
I'd had problems with that tooth for over 2 yr.s, so couldnt take anymore.  He did say he tried to look for some info online about masto, but "there's just so much , it's overwhelming".  I know on this forum, there are some of us that can handle lidocaine/novacaine- so I risked it. I did Not however accept the hygenist's offer to call in a script for Vicodin; and was actually impressed at his quick "NO, she can't have that!". People are learning along with us, slowly but surely.  Wink Meanwhile--- I wish I had PJ's dentist !!! Cheesy Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Avonlea
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 06/16/12 at 03:25:09

I'm so glad you got through it!  For locals, I've reacted to lidocaine, epi and EMLA Cream in the past.  My Florida dentist used Mepivacaine 3% & that worked - at least it did a few years ago. I need to go this week and I'm perfectly willing to take antihistamines and Valium beforehand, but I'm not on board with the idea of prednisone.  It makes me nauseous and I'd rather not shut down my immune system.  But then, my episodes are hypertensive, not hypotensive.  

I did get through having a non-dental (you can guess where it was) abscess drained a month ago without anesthetic.  The surgeon said she was stunned that I managed it, but it really just stung.  Plus she was telling me she knew nothing about mast cells, so I was not comfortable being anesthetized by her.  

Has anyone noticed that we get more low-grade infections?  I got through my 20s and 30s without cavities and I'd never had an abscess, but now it's one thing after another, no matter how much I floss, rinse, brush, bathe, use unscented products, etc.

IP Logged

Avonlea
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 06/16/12 at 03:32:02

By the way, when I say I'm not on board with prednisone, I simply mean that I'm scared of taking it.  I know it's in the REMA protocols.  Perhaps I'll call Dr. Castells' office and ask.

IP Logged

Buster
Tutor

I Love This Forum!
San Francisco Bay Area
Reply #12 - 06/16/12 at 09:04:43

Avonlea wrote on 06/16/12 at 03:25:09:
Has anyone noticed that we get more low-grade infections?  I got through my 20s and 30s without cavities and I'd never had an abscess, but now it's one thing after another, no matter how much I floss, rinse, brush, bathe, use unscented products, etc.

Yes.  It takes forever for any skin infections I get to resolve.

IP Logged

Avonlea
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 06/16/12 at 11:36:29

Buster,

I find that Twinlab Vitamin C and zinc do help with the skin issues.  

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #14 - 06/17/12 at 18:29:43

Saliva is protective against cavities and other oral problems, and with all the antihistamines we take, our mouths can be too dry.  I don't have a solution for it, and I can't stand the thought of artificial mouth moisturizers.

Joan

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print