Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cat Litter! Any recommendations? (Read 4979 times)
Jen
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
Massachusetts
Cat Litter! Any recommendations?
05/16/12 at 06:44:51

Hello everyone!  My finance has MCAD and gets very bad headaches from clay litter.  We've tried Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra and this 99.9% dust free litter still causes a headache for him.

Next we tried World's Best Cat Litter.  Initially I thought it smelled like a farm, but was willing to try it.  After about 2 weeks this litter has a strong and intolerable smell of corn/pee.  

I feel lost in a sea of cat litter options.  I have read that Schweat Scoop (made of wheat) produces a lot of dust and isn't great on odor control, so this doesn't seem like a good option.  

My next inclination is to try a pine litter.  I am worried about stressing our 2 cats with all of these litter changes, but I also have to find a litter that doesn't give my fiance headaches at night.  

Can anyone suggest a brand or type that has worked for them?

Thank you!!!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Cat Litter! Any recommendations?
Reply #1 - 05/16/12 at 17:06:57

I'm allergic to cats, so don't have that problem, but I would think one of those litter boxes that has a cover might help.  It's possible that the smell of the cat urine, etc. might be the cause of the headaches.  Changing the litter often, even every day if necessary, might make a difference.

You might think about keeping cats and everything to do with cats as far from the bedroom as possible.  Keep the bedroom door closed 24/7.  If fresh air doesn't bother your fiancé, keep a window open at least a little in the bedroom at night.  Finally, a 3M allergen filter for your heating and cooling unit might help, too.  They're available at home stores for about $15.  They say to change them every few months, but changing them monthly might be better.

Of course, being the mysterious and unpredictable disease it is, none of that might work.  It might also be helpful for him to switch to a scent-free soap.  You've probably read our "bucket" metaphor, and even one scented soap might fill his bucket and the cat litter might cause it to overflow.  Basis soap is scent-free.  Natural scents don't bother me, only synthetic, but others have more problems with them.

He's very lucky to have a fiancé like you!

Joan

IP Logged

Jen
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
Massachusetts
Reply #2 - 05/18/12 at 03:21:59

Thanks so much Joan!  We did recently switch to a cat box with a cover, which does help for sure.  The corn litter was ok...until it stopped covering the urine smell.  Having the windows open does help with the litter (although I wonder if the pollen getting in isn't attacking him too...)

Yesterday we discovered Blue Buffalo walnut litter.  Nuts don't bother him, so we are trying this litter and I am hopeful.  

One of the difficult factors is that we live in an apartment building. I would love to keep the litter boxes in a basement, but we don't have one right now.  But we are going to keep trying different solutions until we find one that works!  

I will recommend that brand of soap to him, thank you for the suggestion!

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 05/18/12 at 09:32:55

Jen;
I have a suggestion if the walnut shell litter doesn't work out. When we had a cat spayed years ago, we were told by the vet to use torn newspapers. Well; that turned out so well, because the dust didn't nfly up when we changed it, & the cats paws didn't "track" pieces of it through the house! Cheesy So, the vet said no reason why we couldn't continue to "recycle" papers. We've been doing this for years now. Punkin went to that big litterbox in the sky, but our other cat has no problem with it.
WE first wash the litterbox (wearing  dishwashing gloves) in the laundry tub; paper towel dry. Then, line it with several layers of newspaper. Next, put the lid on to "hold that paper down. Then, put hand shredded newspaper inside- a few handfuls. Then when you go to change it in 2-3 days, take the lid off; pull the whole shebang by the corners of the layered sheets, and repeat the process. We leave the litterbox in the laundry room.
I hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me Smiley
Good luck with your kitty. Ours isnt allowed in the bedroom either, a spray bottle of water helps when the door isnt shut. Wink
lori

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #4 - 05/18/12 at 10:09:25

Jen, I rather doubt that the dust is the problem.  I would think the smell is!!   You should consider one of those which has no odors or perfumes and then change it DAILY.  The litter is going to collect bacteria and leaving it there for more than 24 hours isnīt good - I donīt care what the instructions say you can do, itīs not healthy.   He could be triggering from the baterias which are getting into the air, or the smells and this is really the only way to know if the problem isnīt the cat themselves.

If that doesnīt work, then you need to consider having a cat free home - sorry.  I love cats too, but i live without them.

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 05/18/12 at 16:36:30

I have 3 cats and changed to Feline Pine Cat Litter (pellets) last December when I got a gorgeous Ragdoll Sealpoint.  The breeder recommended it.  The first day I used it I thought I was reacting, but stuck with it and it's great.  Stays so much fresher than clay.

IP Logged

Avonlea
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 05/21/12 at 15:14:22

Fresh Step UNSCENTED in a covered Booda Dome litter box, preferably the Clean Step variety.  I also use the allergy grade home air filter mentioned above.  Plus an air purifier in the bedroom.  If possible, try to live in a home with at least some hardwood floors rather than wall to wall everywhere.

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #7 - 05/30/12 at 05:08:46

Do you live in a house with a garage attacted???  We got a small doggie door and put it into the door that goes to the garage.  The litter box is in the garage far, far away from the rest of the house, and the cats can come and go as needed! We leave the doggie door open so they can just run through!
Good luck,
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

Jen
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
Massachusetts
Reply #8 - 05/31/12 at 05:00:22

Thank you for all of your suggestions.  So far the walnut litter is working well.  But we were also visiting family, so we haven't had too much time to test it out.  

I think that changing the litter more often will definitely be a huge help.

Thanks for the suggestions of odor-free litters and the news paper suggestion!  

I don't think that the cats themselves are the problem, because he was sick when we didn't have cats.  We have both had cats all our lives and getting rid of them is not an option for us right now.  So, we will continue to try new ways of dealing with the litter.  

I also think that a different living situation someday will help.  We are currently renting an apartment which doesn't have a basement or garage to keep the litter in.  Also, there is also totally carpeting, which I know doesn't help matters.  But this is simply the situation we have to work with right now!

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I will keep checking back and give updates about the walnut shell litter too!

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 05/31/12 at 05:39:53

Hey Jen;
Glad things are better with the catbox issue! I forgot to mention- if you do end up trying the newspaper- Don't use a paper shredder! I tried & it shreds the paper sooo small, that Woobie's fluffy tail kept catching it in his fur Roll Eyes. So I just keep a box/bag in the cupboard (or closet) & shred when Im watching tv or somthing.  (sorry, its one a those bad spelling days). Anyhow we get the Sunday papres only, 7
& tht seems to be enoug to alwasy have on hand.
lori

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print