Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mango!!! (Read 3498 times)
kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Mango!!!
05/14/12 at 15:58:57

Mango is a fruit I have never before tried ever in my life. My son's future in-laws stayed with us this past weekend and I bought a couple mango's to cut up for breakfast. THANKFULLY I only ate one small bite. I did like it but within minutes my throat began swelling! I took benadryl as soon as I felt my throat getting sore and swelling. It stopped the swelling from getting worse but my throat was sore all day. No more yummy mango's for me.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Mango!!!
Reply #1 - 05/15/12 at 02:55:01

This happened to me once too, Kim.   My doctor explained that mango has a chemical substance which is similar to that of terpintine  - a natural mast cell degranulator.  Depending upon the type of mango, for there are many types, just like there are many types of apples, oranges, lemons, bananas, etc.  So, depending on the type of mango, you are going to have more of this terpentine like chemical than with others.   Usually, here in Brazil, we will put these mangoes into the refrigerator and the cold helps to counteract this chemical process.   Whether or not it will keep you from triggering is another matter.    I tend to eat only one type of mangoes after having had my reaction and I never eat them directly from the tree, always those which have been refrigerated.

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #2 - 05/15/12 at 03:17:55

Terpintine like chemical...that even sounds offending! LOL
I normally do not react to foods via throat reactions. It's usually tummy issue or flushing. So it got my attention for sure. They were refrigerated a day and a half prior to my nibble. Even though it was yummy I believe I'll put it on the 'Absolutely NOT' list of food.
Hope you are doing well.

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 05/15/12 at 03:34:14

Mango Tango;
Guess whats been on sale at Meijers this past week ? Huh

Oh those ripe, juicy, yummy mangoes... Yup. And guess who's had bumpy,itchy lips all week? Embarrassed
I have three left on the kitchen counter--- Any takers ? Roll Eyes
My middle name is Dolores; think I should change it to DUHlores?
Once again Lisa- THANK YOU !!!! Kiss Kiss Kiss
Maybye I can use them to remove the wax buildup on my floors...
lori

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 05/15/12 at 09:46:24

Limonene could be the offender, and it's used in many lemon-type household cleaners!

If a person simply touches mango skin with bare hands and then touches her skin, a reaction can occur.  I use latex-free rubber gloves when peeling mangoes, but so far I haven't reacted to the fruit or skin.   Here's some more info on mango allergies and reactions:

Allergy:       The common forms of allergic reaction to mango include bullous cheilitis, urticaria, and contact allergic dermatitis from contact with either the sap of the tree (eg woodworking or climbing the tree) or from contact with the skin of the fruit. Mango has also been associated with respiratory and food allergens. In a large study from France 6% of severe food allergies were due to mango.

Cross reactions:       Other anarcardacea spp, particularly cashew nut and poison ivy (Rhus or Toxicodendron). Mango may cross react with various respiratory allergens including mugwort pollen, birch pollen, celery, and carrot. Latex allergy (and therefore possibly papaya, avocado, banana, chestnut, passion fruit, fig, melon, kiwi, pineapple, peach, and tomato).

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print