Send Topic Print
Tachycardia (Read 6910 times)
WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
Tachycardia
05/12/12 at 16:54:42

Does anyone else out there have Sinus Tachycardia from SM?  I have had it now for several years and it seems to be all the time.  When I wake up in the morning and take my bp and pulse my pulse is never lower than 95 and as soon as I get up go to the bathroom its usually about 125 or higher.  Before it would just race when I was having an attack but now its all the time.  It really wears me out.  I have been told by the doc, no physical exersion, yeah right, that sets off the anaphylaxis.  Now just walking my chi's around the block and my heart is jumping out of my chest and I can feel it in my neck.  And I don't walk fast, my chi's only have 3 inch legs.  Also since its summer the heat is here and its really killing me. The winter was pretty hard on me this year too.  I use to do better during winter but no more
Embarrassed

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Tachycardia
Reply #1 - 05/12/12 at 18:01:09

Hi Wendy,

First of all, have you had a cardiologist rule out possible heart problems?  That should be done as a precaution, even though it's probably from the SM.  Have you been diagnosed with POTS as well as SM?

Sometimes I get tachy, and it seems to be related to two things, reacting to triggers and/or dehydration.  It's harder in the summer to stay super-hydrated, but that's really helpful for me.  Winter can be more drying than people think, too.  Is your BP low in the morning?  When my BP is low, I believe my heart rate goes up to compensate.

If you've ruled out heart disease related problems, you might want to try to drink more fluids and increase salt intake to see if that helps.  If it doesn't solve the problem, then you might want to talk with your doctor about trying additional H1 and H2 antihistamines.  I know this sounds contradictory, but some antihistamines can cause tachycardia in some people, so you can also try different types/brands and/or dosages to see if that helps.  Are you taking any decongestants or other meds that have tachy as a possible side effect?  Sometimes a stress-reliever, such as Ativan, can help.  

This is, unfortunately, trial and error, as all of us are different, but there are a limited number of variables!  Hope you can figure it out soon.  It's important to get this controlled so you can continue to exercise, which is so good for SM patients.

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #2 - 05/12/12 at 21:43:36

Joan said it all so clearly

Sorry you're having this trouble

I developed POTS symptoms after anaphylaxis and had no clue what was happening at first. It seems to stabilize when my reactions stabilize. I am now trying to be as active as I can be within the confines of the extra flushing etc in case it will help my POTS.

I am on H1, H2 blockers, mast cell stabilizers and weaning of steroids.

Do you have hypermobile joints, EDS, or any known connective tissue issues? If so it seems these can also predispose to POTS

When I have my worst POTS flares I try compression hose (though make me itchy), lots of fluids, salt pills, sometimes extra antihistamines but it seems time is the biggest healer of the flares. Eating small frequent meals helps as I would get big flares right after eating. Also resting after eating to let my body digest before taxing it. I would also put a chair in the shower.

I'm glad you're watching your vitals.

Certain foods triggered severe spells for me and I am still sorting this out. If you're rates are getting scary fast or you are feeling chest pain, light headed etc, you should consider being seen by a doc

keep us posted!

IP Logged

WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
Reply #3 - 05/13/12 at 04:46:43

I last saw the cardio doc about 5 yrs ago because of the is problem.  He knew a great deal about masto too.  Anyway he did the heart echo, 24hr heart monitor thingy and some other tests I can't remember right now.  He determined that it was Sinus Tachycardia due to the masto.  He did not see anything else wrong with my heart.  He said no arobic exercise or any hard exercises because it would increase it more, well I couldn't do these anyway since it sets off the anaphylaxis.  He said he could not put me on beta blockers (?) because of the masto and my bp goes up and down.  My doc now is aware of this but hasn't suggested a cardio doc, he is learning more about masto from what I can teach him and what he finds on the internet.  I have changed my h1 and h2 several times but it's the same.  I have nitro pills just in case I guess.  What is POTS  never heard of it?  Oh I have never been told or tested for a connective tissue disorder

IP Logged

WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
Reply #4 - 05/13/12 at 04:53:31

Wow I just googled POTS and OMG I have most of those symptoms but most are from my ASM.  But that could definately explain how my heart rate goes way up just from standing up or walking across the room.  Should I see a cardio doc or just let me reg doc know.  I see there is not much you can do about it.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 05/13/12 at 15:41:12

Just wondering on what basis you've been told you have ASM vs. SSM, if you don't mind saying.

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #6 - 05/14/12 at 00:16:28

Hi Wendy!

Iīm sorry youīre having such trouble with the tachy, itīs indeed troubling!!   I canīt help but think that your doctor needs to speak with some other cardiologists who are more experienced with masto patients to see if there is any way to get this more under control.  It is possible that the combination of your antihistamines is creating issues, or that youīre not on the right combo of meds and they arenīt being effective enough to bring your reacting down.   There are some cardiologists who work with Dr. Castells and Dr. Akin and who are very familiar in working with us masto patients and I think your doctor should speak with them.  

As to your having ASM, I really find that hard to believe especially when you say youīve been having tachycardia for YEARS.  ASM is the malignant form of masto and they say that the patient normally doesnīt live more than 2 years from the point of diagnosis of ASM.  This form of masto doesnīt usually progress from ISM, but usually comes out of hiding, already angry and aggressive, which is why most patients will die within about 6 months of this finding.  

Unfortunately for us, too many of our doctors donīt know and thus confuse the aggressive nature of our symptoms as an indicator of the stage of our disease and they donīt know that this is one disease which contradicts itself in this manner.    There are enough cases cited in the literature of patients who died from ASM but who never even knew, nor did their doctors know, that they had ASM!!!  The finding was ONLY upon autopsy!!!!   And then you have those masto patients who have the non-clonal MCAS and nary an aggregate of mast cells can they find and these patients take such a beating that they can no longer live normal lives!!   This is something the authorities and researchers canīt figure out yet, for logically those who are sickest should be the ones with the most dangerous and aggressive form of the disease, and this is just not so in masto!    Iīm a good example of this contradiction - I am constantly reacting and had three big attacks within the past 6 weeks!  Yet, weīve hunted high and low and canīt find a single trace of the MC aggregates.  We know they are hidden there somewhere, but my trytpase level is very low and everything indicates that Iīm an MMAS patient.  I have an excellent prognosis with this form of masto and yet I take a constant beating in spite of my meds being high doses.   And yet, I can assure you, it has been hard work for my doctors to pin my diagnosis down.  

Wendy, the diagnosis of ASM is fully dependant upon the bone marrow biopsy.  Youīve got to be showing some very serious invasion of the bone marrow of MC aggregates.  Your CBCs must also be compromised as well as having organ involvement like your spleen and lymphnodes.   Itīs a very serious diagnosis and demands very serious and aggressive treatment in order to combat it.  

I canīt help but think that perhaps your doctors may have judged your symptoms as the indicator and this is important, for if your doctors are not quite on top of masto, then it may be that youīre going through all kinds of tachycardia because they are also not knowing how to medicate you properly.   The tachy may be controlable, but their lack of practice of treating a masto patient may be the problem here.  

I hope this helps.

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
Reply #7 - 05/14/12 at 03:38:09

Lisa,

I also question the ASM but was just going by what the docs said.  I know in 2005 when we had to stop the Gleevec because of liver damage and my numbers in the bm were going up not down.  At my last bmb there it was I believe 20% atypical mast cells in my bm.  And the mutation was in the ckit 816.  Yes I have had the sinus tachycardia for years but it would come and go with the attacks.  Now its all the time especially when I am standing.  My bp goes up with it.  To me SM is SM no matter if its Indolent, smouldering or malignant.  Depends on which doctor you talk to that day.  I have been on the same meds for 2 years now

Allegra 180 mgs/2x day
zantac 300 mgs/2x day
Cymbalta 60 mgs/1 day
B12 injection  1000mcg/1 x week
Back on LDN  4mgs/1x night
Benedryl as needed
Epi pen as needed

my bone marrow biopsies had always shown clusters of Atypical spindle shaped mast cells positive cd117, cd2 and cd25.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #8 - 05/14/12 at 15:24:36

What Lisa says about ASM has been true, but Midostaurin (PKC412) appears to be changing the prognosis for ASM patients!  Some have been on it for more than 18 months and have a reversal of organ enlargement and many symptoms.  They are active again and enjoying life again.  One patient is said to be down to 3% mast cells in his bone marrow, the last time I heard.

Antihistamines can become less effective over time.  Are you able to use  any other, e.g., Xyzal (for H1) and Pepcid (for H2)?

Joan

IP Logged

WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
Reply #9 - 05/15/12 at 06:39:16

Joan/Lisa  

i am going to first try to cut my allegra down to only 1x a day.  See if there is a difference.  If either of you have a phooe # for dr. Akin can you send me a PM and I can give it to my doc next time I go in.  Maybe he will call him and consult w/him.  at least about this tachy thing cause its really making me crazy.  I have changed my cocktail several times over the years.  If the cutting down of allegra doesn't help I guess it will be time to change it up a little.   Thanks for the info

wendy

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #10 - 05/15/12 at 09:23:59

One more thing....

Bone marrow biopsies can vary widely, depending on exactly where in a bone they take their samples.  If they catch it in between clusters, it could look more normal, and if they go directly into a cluster, the % of abnormal cells can be higher.

We aren't supposed to give out Dr. Akin's phone number here, but if you Google "Cem Akin MD", a number will come up.  Or, Google "Cem Akin Brigham and Womens Hospital

Joan

IP Logged

WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
Reply #11 - 05/15/12 at 10:28:38

Thanks Joan I will find it

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print