Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Have hyperadrenergic POTS dx and am wondering about MCAS now (Read 6248 times)
PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Have hyperadrenergic POTS dx and am wondering about MCAS now
05/11/12 at 15:08:09

After approximately a year and a half of very problematic symptoms beginning in 2010 (and a lifetime history of lesser impairing and odd symptoms), I was diagnosed with hyperadrenergic POTS at Mayo - Rochester in Nov '11. Since then, treatment has proved mostly refractory to the many medications and other treatments my local cardiologist has prescribed based on, and in addition to, the physicians at Mayo's recommendations and other treatment literature.

In addition to a very large number of POTS symptoms, I also have a handful of symptoms that are seemingly unrelated to POTS (e.g., chronic yeast infection, hypercholesterolemia, sound sensitivity, wheezing and other allergy symptoms). From the scientific literature I've been reading on MCAS, I believe my problems may be related to it and that the POTS presentation is a result of MCAS. As such, I requested a 24h methylhistamine test and baseline/flushing episode tryptase test from an allergist. My methylhistamine test was reported to be "normal," but I wasn't given the numbers from it, and my tryptase was also "normal"(via my nurse's report) at 3ng and 4ng, respectively.

I started taking a combo of H1 and H2 blockers a couple weeks ago and felt much better for several days. However, that response has diminished markedly (which is another aspect of my clinical presentation; several times medications have appeared to work quite well for 3-4 days, then lose effectiveness and never regain it). However, at times, it seems that the antihistamines are still really helpful.

Last week, I started a low histamine diet and have made some striking discoveries - I seem to react to foods. Big time.

I've been in touch with Dr Afrin and he's emailed a "primer" on testing for MCAS to my local allergist. She's currently reviewing it and consulting with other docs in her practice and is going to get back to me when she understands things a bit better. Honestly, I feel like if she can't handle the testing (which would certainly be understandable), I am ready to shell out some fat cash and travel from OK to SC to get a better handle on this stuff.

I have some specific questions, so I suppose I should do a few posts in appropriate areas now. Smiley

BTW, I have been reading posts on this site off and on for months now, thinking I might have some MCA issues going on. Thank you to everyone who shares knowledge and support here! This site is a wealth of information that is not readily available anywhere else. I am so appreciative to have this resource available.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Re: Have hyperadrenergic POTS dx and am wondering about MCAS now
Reply #1 - 05/11/12 at 16:30:59

I share a lot of your issues. Welcome! Look forward to hearing more of your story.

So sorry you are having them but glad things are headed in the right direction

IP Logged

PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 05/12/12 at 05:47:31

Ana,

Thank you for your reply! You have actually helped me a ton and you don't even know it. ;) I've been a member of dinet for a long time now and have followed your posts there and here re:MCAS with great interest.

For a long time, I thought my sx didn't fit with MCAS and didn't pursue it. However, after finally accruing some additional sx that could be indicative of MCA and pretty much exhausting all the POTS meds, I started to reconsider it. Your posts about MCA have helped provide an impetus to learn more about it, myself, as well. Thank you for sharing about what you have learned. It has helped me immensely. :)

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #3 - 05/16/12 at 21:42:03

So glad you're making some headway and that something in my ramblings has been of use Smiley

I think traveling to SC would be very smart if you can as the testing needs to be done properly and unfamiliar labs can mess them up wasting your time.

Glad you have a local interested doc as you'll need that even if you travel there. Good luck! I hope you feel better soon and that we can all help each other through this!

I have found a lot of very useful information from the people on this forum.

IP Logged

PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 05/17/12 at 14:15:29

Just contacted my allergist today to see what she thought of Afrin's primer. Unfortunately, but understandably, she does not feel equipped to do the testing OR provide ongoing treatment for me.

I immediately called Afrin's office to schedule an appt and am eagerly waiting on a return phone call tomorrow or Mon to make the appt.

Now, I need to get in touch with my internist to see whether she'll feel comfortable managing my treatment locally. If she doesn't, I'm not sure who to contact.

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #5 - 05/17/12 at 14:30:29

Yahoo, way to go!

I hope your internist accepts you. If not have you said where you're from and asked if anyone on here has suggestions?

Otherwise you could also try for another family physician. I had the best luck with that.

Keep us posted!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #6 - 05/17/12 at 15:31:36

Recently, I called doctors' offices, told them that I have a rare immune system disorder, and asked if there's a doctor in the office who's brave enough to take me on!   Grin   LOL.

Joan

IP Logged

PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 05/31/12 at 13:29:52

So, I'm still waiting to get the Afrin appt scheduled. Sad I'm ready to get this ball rolling!

The scheduler's assistant said "all" they would need would be my tests and notes from anyone who has treated my condition so far. I almost fell out of my chair laughing (then, crying, after I got off the phone). Gee, is that "all" that's needed? Sure, no problem! So after I finished feeling sorry for myself, I started making calls to various docs I've seen and getting the records I have, myself, to have everything faxed. Hopefully, everyone has finally sent my records, so I'll call Afrin's office back tomorrow to be sure.

In the meantime, I have been working on my antihistamine regimen and trying to maximize the help it is providing. I definitely could use some guidance with that.

I'm waiting to get the appt scheduled with Afrin before contacting my PCP about being my local go-to doc for this stuff. Another thought I had was possibly contacting Dr Miner in Oklahoma City. I live just north of OKC, so that's awesomely convenient. However, while I do have GI issues, they're not at the top of my list of problems, so I'm not sure whether he'd want to take me as a patient.

Joan, how did your phone solicitations for a doctor go? That is a pretty hardcore approach to finding a doctor. I think I'm going to be there if my PCP/Miner turn me down!

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #8 - 05/31/12 at 14:21:19

Hey Pepper, I'm a patient of Dr Afrin and love, love, love him! Don't be surprised if when you get your appt it will be a couple months out. They don't mind you calling (daily if you want) for cancellations you might be able to take. If you look under the 'mast cell doctors' topics I posted my experience with travels and appt with Dr Afrin.
Crossing my fingers for you Smiley

IP Logged

PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 05/31/12 at 14:57:02

kim, thank you for the info about calling for cancellations! Good to know.

Also, yes, I have read your thread about your visit and info about travels. I copied and pasted a bunch of helpful info (hotel, etc) from it to a Word doc I have started about stuff to remember for the appt. Thank you so much for sharing all your helpful info!

IP Logged

PepperPOTS
Tutor

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 06/05/12 at 09:57:07

I got my appt scheduled with Dr Afrin! I'll be seeing him on Aug 13. I'm so ready!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #11 - 06/05/12 at 10:40:31

So glad you got an appointment with Dr. Afrin.  

That approach landed me a local allergist who is very smart and willing to learn.  He's diagnosed a couple of other patients with mast cell problems since I started there.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print