Send Topic Print
Silicone (Read 2376 times)
Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Silicone
05/11/12 at 13:45:53

My husband had the car cleaned professionally!  It's nothing new, he's done it in the past and it never bothered me.  So why did it send me to the ER this time???    I'VE NOT THE SLIGHTEST CLUE!!!! Angry

My husband left the car with me and had to go with someone in their car to another place while I was supposed to drive 10 minutes only to get home.  It was a warm day on Wednesday and knowing heat is always an issue I got into the hot car and turned on the AC as usual.  I knew he'd had the car cleaned and since it had never bothered me before, I figured all was fine now - I didn't have any reason for concern.   Although the smell was a bit strong, I didn't find it like perfume, overwhelming.  Just a bit chemically, that's all.  

I was about 2 minutes down the road when I began feeling my breathing become difficult and about a minute of two later found myself feeling weak.  By this time I realized I was in trouble, but I knew I had no where to stop to buy some water to take any meds and even if I did stop, I'd still have to get back into the car!  I was not in a good place to try to roll down all the windows either and considering that I've become sensitive to car fumes as well, this didn't seem to be a good idea, but then, I was beginning to find it difficult to think and reason things out anyway so, if my sense of logic wasn't working so well, I'm not surprised.  

At this point, my throught began getting tight and the dyspnea a bit worse and all I could think of was do I go to the ER or home?   If I go home, I'll be totally alone, if I go to the ER, how is it going to be, will they recognize this?!  How much work will it give me to convince them I'm in trouble?!

Home and the hospital are in the same direction, thankfully, and by the time I was at the entrance of my neighborhood I had made the decision - GO TO THE ER!!   It's right outside my neighborhood and my kids laughed and teased me that they built the new hospital just thinking about me!  Wink  They must have cause I pulled into the parking lot and found an empty spot (miraculous) and walked straight into the emegency room.  I didn't take a number, I walked right up to the nurses and told them out flat, "I'm in anaphylaxis!  I need attention NOW!"    

They sat me down, took my BP, shook their heads as it was high, and I told them that I needed to see the doctor ASAP and they called for a wheelchair and then pushed me right into where a doctor was waiting.   I sat there in the chair in front of her while she asked me questions about my symptoms and such and when she took my BP she looked at me with this questioning look and I told her yet again, I have mastocytosis, my form causes me to have hypertension with anaphylaxis.  It's a rare disease and it does some rare things.   By this time, however, it was all I could manage just to get this out and with my last look at her I told her that my doctor had left on my filea information as to what to do for me, that all she had to do was to look there.

She had me sent back to the "Red Room" where they hooked me up to monitors, gave me an IV of saline, gave me hydrocortisone and an injection of subcutaneous epinephrine and an intramuscular shot of H1 antihistamine.  

Within minutes everything began to revert and get back under control again! Cheesy  I still went through about 3 hours of syncope, but it wasn't a bad situation on the whole and being on an IV certainly seems to help.  

What was nice, however, is that I didn't have to play doctor!!  I didn't have to really go into any in-depth explanations as to why I needed epinephrine nor what to do with me.  Thankfully, the doctor who had seen me come in about 3 weeks earlier immediately realized what was happening and took over for the doctor who had received me.  He may have been doing a bit of studying up since he last saw me too!!   When I was there 3 weeks ago, I and the doctors thought it was a stomach bug, but as it turned out, I had a urinary infection which triggered anaphylaxis, but I couldn't recognize the anaphylaxis cause it showed itself as a vomiting crisis - which has never happened to me before.  This time around was much more like my usual events of dyspnea, flushing, upper body weakness, confusion, hypertension - this is my normal and so I had no problem recognizing what was going on this time and thankfully, the doctor didn't either and so it was a breeze!

Yet, thanks to my farsighted endocrinologist, she made sure there was a file on me in case of an emergency and she left full instructions of how to deal with me!!!  May God bless my wonderful doctor, she's a true ANGEL!!! Smiley

So, I was in the ER about 4 hours.  They called my husband to come get me and he drove me home - all the windows wide open!  And I've been dragging myself ever since!   I had to take more prednisone yesterday cause I was still reacting a great deal.  I've been absolutely EXHAUSTED and feel like somebody forced me on an overnight march even though I slept the entire afternoon today!!!   I think that this is the hardest part about going through anaphylaxis, the complete exhaustion for days afterwards!!

But, I'm FINE and know that as long as I treat myself kindly, I'll get through this.

I just wish I understood WHY, all of a sudden I've become insanely allergic to smells!!!!

I wish I knew what to do about it, or how to keep it from getting worse! Sad

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Silicone
Reply #1 - 05/11/12 at 14:16:59

I had a bad reaction to silicone spray a couple of months ago!  Angry  Two people were at my house repairing the garage door and one of them started spraying a "lubricant."  Within 15 minutes I felt short of breath and my left lung started making a horrible crackling sound every time I exhaled.  So scary!  I almost went to the ER.  The next day I called the repair shop to find out what kind of spray they had used.  I thought WD-40, but my husband said it didn't smell like that... and he was right.  It was silicone spray.  Ugh!

How cool that they built a hospital so close to your neighborhood Smiley  I bet that gives you a little peace of mind!

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #2 - 05/12/12 at 13:17:05

Well, at least I'm not alone with the silicone reaction!!   I was so stupid, looking back at it, but I really had not a single clue I was going to get so sick!!!

I'm STILL recuperating even though I've returned to my normal duties!!  SOOOOO VERYYYYY EXHAUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sad

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 05/12/12 at 18:27:53

Lisa,

So glad you decided to go to the ER!  You weren't stupid, you were foggy and sick!  It sounds as though you're in a flare, possibly from the prior infection.

My doctor wrote a letter for me to carry with me at all times with instructions for any ER or EMTs, in case I can't speak or am too foggy to be helpful, which I greatly appreciate.  The treatment they gave you in the ER is the same that works for me, and they add some Zofran if I have nausea or vomiting.  So glad you're better.

Now that it's almost summer, I plan to put an emergency water bottle in my car and leave it there just in case.  I suppose having one in winter would be good, too.  Even a little dehydration can make me more susceptible to reacting, and I've had that problem of not having water to take my pills, too.

Here, a follow-up urinalysis is often done 3-4 days after the patient's finished the antibiotic just to make sure the urinary tract infection's gone.   Do they do that there?

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #4 - 05/12/12 at 21:57:59

NOOOOOOO! Oh my gosh Lisa! I'm so sorry to hear this. Thanks for sharing what happened in detail it helps us all. That is so frightening. I feel somehow responsible for your smell allergy as I recall complaining to you about it just when you were starting to react to your daughter's perfume. I feel your mast cells got some ideas from mine Wink Kidding, but I am SO Sorry. I am so glad you are ok and that they treated you quickly. you are very brave.

Smells are so hard to avoid. I'm finding inhaling some chemicals that don't even have much of a smell; even from a large distance is making me react. There are smells everywhere; it's insanity... I hope they figure out a way to make us better or the world goes scent free STAT. For now, I have adjusted my life to insane lengths to be rid of smells.

I hope you get heaps of REST REST REST! Let your body recover and let us know how you're doing. Don't feel obliged to do the billion things you do!

For our info, what do you do with the prednisone? A few days then stop, or a fast taper? Just curious..

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 05/13/12 at 00:37:00

You know, perhaps something is wrong with my emotions in that I don´t feel afraid until AFTER everything has been said and done and I can take account of what I went through.  Then I feel astounded at what happened!  Weird!  The attack I had about 3 weeks ago with the intense vomitting was much more disturbing than this.  But then, I´ve had training to not allow my emotions to get involved.  I used to be a life guard and the training we had along with the first aide course taught me way back when I was just 17 how important it is not to panic.  This ended up being a Godsend when my children were little and they were falling and tripping and breaking this or that - 3 kids can really take it out on a mother!  And because I´ve always helped the people of my church with their difficulties, cause at church, during the summer, we´d get over 100 degrees during a meeting at times, some of the people would have their blood pressure drop and since I was the only one with any kind of training, I was always called to attend them.  So I learned not to panic, not even in my own situations.

This training has been the best thing and I HIGHLY recommend to everyone here to take a First Aide course just for your own well being for it teaches you how to deal with emergencies.  Just having that knowledge, knowing when to identify a real emergency, helps you to feel less freaked out when you are going through it yourself.   Perhaps this is my secret, for this situation wasn´t anywhere near as concerning to me as the vomitting situation a few weeks ago.  Even with my blonde brain fog I was able to reason out that my own meds could not handle it, that I need IV meds and hydration, that it was dangerous for me to be alone - this is what made me ferry myself to the ER.   My ability to recognize the situation is what kept me safe.  And now that the doctors there know what to do with me, I´m no longer fearing going to the ER for before I feared going there and going through everything I do without any attendance, like it used to be when I first got sick.   Now that they know what to do.....!  I´m far safer in the hospital than at home!   Sad when it´s the opposite!

Yes, Joanie, the doctors here will and do test you after doing antibiotices, but not all the time.  You´ve got to do some repeat infections for them to feel its necessary.

As to the smells!  You know Ana, this is probably got to be the most FRUSTRATING and FRIGHTENING of the triggers for how can you possibly identify what and when you´re going to be set off?!   Shocked   I find it's got me really rather tense for now I wonder what is going to trigger me and where and when???   WHAT CHANGED????   I went through 4 very peaceful years of not having any issues with smells at all and now suddenly I've triggered 5 big reactions all to smells in 1 years time!!  WHY??   How much worse will it get?  Is there any way to defend myself??!!   And yet the thing that bugs me and my doctor is WHY CAN'T WE FIND THOSE PESKY MAST CELLS????? Angry

As to the prednisone - I carry in my emergency pack of meds a blister pack of prednisone.  I will only take them in a real emergency when I am in trouble or when the reacting is not responding to intense antihistamine treatment.  

I took this on Thursday because I wasn't able to stay at home to rest and just being out of the house, physically moving about was about to push me over the edge again and I had already taken 2 extra antihistamines about an hour before, I knew that I was going to get into trouble so I too just one.  ONLY ONE!  20mg.   I FEAR taking prednisone because my angiologist told me it was one reason why I went into a hypertensive crisis one day.   I had done a colonoscope in 2008 and my angiologist told me to take prednisone to deal with the prolonged reacting it had put me into.  At that time I was so undermedicated it was ridiculous!  So she had done a bit of reading up and since I had no other real doctor support my angiologist had to take up the slack.  She had me on a taper.  So I had to get some papers and went into her office to pick them up but there wasn't a place for me to sit down - it was full of old ladies with vascular problems!  So even though I knew that standing, waiting made me feel ill, I figured, 5 minutes won't kill me.  BOY WAS I WRONG!!   Those 5 minutes shot my pressure up to 230/110 and I went into a crisis right there in her office Shocked!  She was called out of her consultation to attend me in another office and she about freaked when she saw my pressure so high and I still had my aortic aneurysm at that time! Shocked  Thankfully, I carry hypertension medication as part of my emergency pack and this did it's job quickly and this is when I learned the lesson that prednisone is ONLY, ONLY, ONLY for EMERGENCIES where I have no other choice! Shocked

So, this was the first time in 9 months I've used it for an emergency and then only 1 pill of 20 mg.  The last time I used it was last August when I reacted to the nuclear medicine DMSA contrast.  Having the prednisone saved the day in that situation too!!!

It's tremendous medication when you are in trouble, but certainly nothing to toy around with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY LADIES!!! Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print