Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LDN and aggressive systemic mastocytosis (Read 6061 times)
WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
LDN and aggressive systemic mastocytosis
05/10/12 at 05:41:44

I was diagnosed in 95 w/ cutaneous masto.  No symptoms except spots. Then in 98 underwent brain surgery for a brain tumor (removed only part of it) then my symptoms really started with the masto.  By 2004 nothing was relieving the symptoms.  Went to MD Anderson in Houston and started on Gleevec.  My bone marrow biopsies (6 all together) showed the Gleevec wasn't working but caused alot of liver damage so we had to stop it.  Then found out its because I have the mutation in CKIT 816.  Had to take a medical retirement.  About a year ago a friend that has MS turned me onto LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone).  I read alot about it and glad to see there was no side effects so I discussed it with my doctor and he said may as well try it.  So I was on LDN for a year.  Right away it eased my severe masto migraines which I had all the time.  It cleared the masto fog and I could actually concentrate on reading a book.  It didn't help with all my other symptoms but I was happy with it helping the head pain since there was absolutely nothing but ice packs that would help.  So for some reason last January I stopped taking all my masto meds.  I just got so tired of being on meds and wanted to give my body a rest.  Big mistake, anyway went back to the doctor after about a month.  I went back on H1, H2 blockers and Cymbalta for the bone pain since I refuse any strong pain meds because they set off the anaphylaxis.  Well the cymbalta eased some of the bone pain but the masto migraines were killing me.  Went back to the doc yesterday and he put me back on the LDN since we know it eased the head pain before.  He told me this time he will not allow me to stop taking it.   Smiley  To me quality of life and more important than quantity of life.  with LDN my quality is much more improved.  

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: LDN and aggressive systemic mastocytosis
Reply #1 - 05/10/12 at 13:29:41

Hi Wendy!
Welcome here, we are all of differing experiences some quite similiar, and we hope to share info to make it easier on those who come after us Smiley I have heard of the LDN before and have a friend who strongly suggested it to me--but I was suffering from so many bouts of shock at the time, I didnt want to take a chance on it. Im interested now to see how it might effect masto?? What difference did it make in your lab work?? Other differences??
Im glad you are stable again and feeling better. Im also glad youve joined us!!
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
Reply #2 - 05/10/12 at 13:57:53

Ramona,

Actually I shocked less when I was on the LDN before so I am hoping being back on it I will have less anaphylaxis.  It didn't effect anything in my blood work and there are no side effects and it really did help w/the masto migraines, masto fog and confusion.  I am back on it now its only been a day but I am sure in a few days I will feel a difference.  You can't go wrong trying it.  I also have an enlarged liver and spleen but they are still working although I have a ton of scarring on my liver.  I don't do all the yearly testing anymore ie: full body bone scan, ct scans or bmb.  My doc does bloodwork a few times a year and that is it.  I can't see spending all that money on tests when there is no treatment.  I use to get them done all the time but even my doc agreed.  After going thru 6 bmb's I refuse to do anymore.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 05/10/12 at 18:59:45

Hi Wendy,

Has anyone mentioned Midostaurin (PKC412) for you?  In case you haven't heard of it, it's being tested on patients with the C-kit defect whose masto is aggressive.  It's in clinical trials right now, and I've talked with 2 people who've had great results from it.  Their organs have returned to normal size, and they are having far fewer symptoms.

In case you're interested, here's the posting at Stanford University regarding their clinical trial:

[url]http://med.stanford.edu/profiles/clinicalinformatics/frdActionServlet?choiceId=showClinicalTrial&studyId=1479&fid=4046/url]

Hope you start to feel better soon!

Joan

IP Logged

WendyH
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Hurricane, UT
Reply #4 - 05/11/12 at 04:26:36

Joan I have not heard of that.  I will google it and see what I find.  If its a chemo I will probably pass on it.  Now that I live in a little town in Utah I have a new doc who didn't really know about masto so that last 2 yrs he has been all over the internet learning about it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print