Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Consensus on Statins in MCAS (Read 4268 times)
deblevstern
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Consensus on Statins in MCAS
05/05/12 at 07:54:48

In Febraury,2011 there was a thread on Statins with no real consensus. Does anyone know which cholesterol lowering meds. are safe to use with zantac and claritin? What are people using who need a Statin? I need a statin or other cholesterol lowering med. and am not sure what to ask for. Thanks for any help!!!! Debbie

IP Logged

Doozlygirl
Mentor

Wisconsin
Re: Consensus on Statins in MCAS
Reply #1 - 05/05/12 at 13:04:22

Can't help with the statins but wanted to point out that CoQ 10 is advised with the statins.  My family takes Ubiquinol, the active form of CoQ 10.

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #2 - 05/06/12 at 10:40:36

Hi Debbie,

I take Pravastatin.  I believe it is one of the least reactive.  I do take a lower dose than I should but that is my choice.  My diet is so restricted (due to mast cell reactions) that my triglycerides are very high.

If you have a pharmacist that you trust, you may want to run it by him/her to see what they would recommend.

Ditto what Doozlygirl recommended...the Co Q 10 is critical or you may end up with nasty joint pain.  If you choose to purchase it at your local pharmacy, you may want to ask for a recommendation.  I have used some that haven't helped at all. Supplements are not FDA approved so they can have a variance as to how much of the actual drug they "have" to put into each caplet.  

Good luck!

Lynda

IP Logged

deblevstern
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 05/06/12 at 11:32:23

I am also on a lower than normal dose of Prevastatin now after getting off Simvastatin. The reason I got off it was I started having a swollen tongue a year after I was on it as well as sore throat and earaches. The swollen tongue did go away when I went off the Simvastatin...it took the sore throat and earaches another month to disappear...bottom line...I am not sure if these reactions were from the statin or not....I do feel that my tonge us slightly swollen again since back on the PRevastatin but again, can't be sure it's from that....
Thanks Lynda for sharing. Hope we get more posts on cholesterol lowering meds. that don't cause reactions. Debbie

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #4 - 05/06/12 at 16:21:48

Debbie.

Just a thought...do u have any problems with fillers or dyes in any thing?  What I sometimes do is get the inactive ingredients from my pharmacist (ssometimes u can find them online as well) and compare them between drugs.  There may be a corn filler or a binder that u r reacting to and not the med itself.  Most of my drug reactions r from all the junk they put in our meds.  As I said...just something to consider.  Lynda

IP Logged

deblevstern
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 05/10/12 at 08:59:18

Thanks Lynda. I am at the beginning of all this. I will start to investigate more once I have a definitive diagnosis. Seeing Dr. Afrin for follow up end of June.He thinks I have MCAS, but all tests not back yet. God bless you all. Debbie

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 08/07/12 at 04:23:56

Hey Deb;
Any news on the statins ? My dr. just put me on 10mg. Prevachol yesterday. My triglycerides & cholesterol were /are still high. Bad genes. I will see how it goes. Also taking 3, 1000mg. of Flaxseed oil & 1 vitamin E daily. Goin on a low fat-nofat diet too. Maybe I can get off the statin in a few months. My liver isn't behaving & one more drug isn't going to help it...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print