Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Histamine diet? Sort of confused about what to eat and not. (Read 8774 times)
Maiysa
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Histamine diet? Sort of confused about what to eat and not.
04/13/12 at 13:13:45

http://www.lamuscle.com/magazine/article/stop-histamine-release

I am confused by this article.  I am wanting to do the low histamine diet but this article is the opposite of the one I was reading.  It is saying to eat fish and citrus fruits which I read are actually high in histamines.  I forgot there was a nutrition posting on here, hoping someone can clear this up. I am sure that it is different for some people and need to try, but if I can just get what the basic best foods to cancel out would be of great help.   Thank you.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Histamine diet? Sort of confused about what to eat and not.
Reply #1 - 04/13/12 at 19:36:30

I believe they're talking about people with allergies, and that's different from MC diseases.  There are articles like this published a lot.  While some of the things they recommend are fine for some people, some of their advice wouldn't be accurate for others.

Diet is so individual that it's hard to generalize for everyone.  If you look at the low histamine diet on the ICUS website, you can find a starting point for figuring out if foods are triggering your symptoms.  You can also read what Dr. Theo Theoharides has published regarding quercetin.  He's  been studying luteolin as an alternative to gastrocrom, and you might be able to find something written about that, too.

I've used quercetin, and it helped me, but it irritated my stomach, so I took a break from it.  I've been taking turmeric capsules, but I wouldn't take both of those at the same time.  I think quercetin was better for me, but the turmeric was less difficult on my stomach.  Vitamin C and bromelain are part of my regular supplements, and I like both a lot.

It's trial and error.  If you know 5-10 foods that you can eat without problems, that's a good place to begin.  After eating only those for a couple of weeks, begin adding foods back into your diet, one every 2-3 days, and see what happens.  Good luck!

Joan

IP Logged

Maiysa
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 04/14/12 at 17:39:09

Thank you Joan for the information.  Five foods to eat is a good idea.  I'm starting on the antihistamine diet on Monday.  I'm already pretty much gluten free but will have to stop cheating.  And I think no dairy will be a challenge for me.  I know it's a matter of getting used to it.  Have a great night!

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #3 - 04/14/12 at 18:55:36

Just in case it helps you Maiysa, I recently found that not eating the same food two days in a row (same fresh food, not meaning left overs) has cut back some of my reactions and allowed me to introduce more lately.

Everyone's different but just in case you start noticing reactions to a food on day 2-3 but not one.....

good luck and I wish you safe and healthy eating!

Ana

IP Logged

Maiysa
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 04/15/12 at 07:20:38

Thanks Ana, that's a good reminder.  I was told when I was a young girl to not eat the same thing every day.  I had one of those allergy tests on the skin (not sure how accurate they are) and I was basically allergic to all foods, or sensitive, and she told me back then in the 70's to not eat the same thing every day.  She was a smart doctor.   The only thing I wasn't allergic to or sensitive too was poppy seeds. And you know how filling they are.  Smiley

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #5 - 04/15/12 at 12:10:33

poppy seeds! Ha! Can't live on those.

That is awful Maiysa, yes I am very impressed about the doctors I hear about with such common sense even when not aware of MCAS etc; they've found ways to listen and help their patients. Great role models

I hope you feel better

IP Logged

mommy2seanp
Tutor

Reply #6 - 04/16/12 at 14:52:06

Joan would you mind sharing what brand tumeric you use and how much.  Also, did you use Dr. T's quercetin?  I just bought a bottle but the ingredients list bees wax and I'm nervous to try because I react to bee stings.  I know it's a far cry but I've seen odder things happen:)

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #7 - 04/16/12 at 16:39:16

I switch brands sometimes and first started with a bromelain/turmeric combination capsule.  The Turmeric I have now is Solaray, and it contains 300 mg. turmeric (curcuma longa, root extract), Guaranteed 285 mg. (95% Curcumin).  The only ingredients are the turmeric and gelatin capsule.  The recommended dose is one capsule, 2-3 day with a meal or a glass of water.  My stomach was happier when I took them with a meal.

I haven't tried Dr. T's formula, but am going to when I decide which one to try.  I know what you mean about beeswax, as I have a concern about Algonot with fish extract in it.    

He's coming to Colorado to our support group meeting in a few weeks, so I'll ask him about shellfish and beeswax.  We can't be too careful!  His topic for the meeting is the effectiveness of luteolin vs. gastrocrom in stabilizing mast cells.  Another of my questions for him is which formula to take.

Joan

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #8 - 06/08/12 at 02:26:02

I will have an order of poppy seeds and I will take that to go! Wink
Wow, Maiysa that is horrible!
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print